Major League Baseball

jimmy boo

On 01/09/2021 at 10:40, arab_joe said:

What a difference 72 hours makes - our odds of winning the division are down to 33% and our slim chances of winning the WS are even slimmer (down to 6%)... we are running out of steam pretty badly at the moment!

My post on 1st September came on the back of four losses in a row, and a very lucky series win over the Mets.  I'm not sure that anyone would have guessed that two weeks later we would become the first team to guarantee a spot in the play-offs.  538 still only have us as 10% outsiders for the WS (Dodgers up to 30% chance).

Since 1st September we are 10-1, including becoming the first team to sweep the Rockies in Colorado this season, then a sweep of the Cubs in Chicago (who showed some serious love to Kris Bryant - great to see an ex-player get such a brilliant reception).  Long may this run of form continue!  

Brewers stalwart LF Ryan Braun has announced his retirement after 14 seasons with the club. Team's all time leader for homers with 352 & 4th in games played at 1766. 6x all-star, 1x NL rookie & NL MVP & 5x silver slugger. Served a ban in the 2nd half of 2013 due to P.E.D use in the biogenesis scandal.

In other baseball news, Great Britain have made the quarter finals of the European Championships, despite winning just one of their three group games (Israel beat everyone and GB, France and Russia all picked up one win) They play the Netherlands tomorrow. It seems to be single elimination.

On 07/08/2021 at 18:20, Boo Khaki said:

Pads looking more and more like a .500 team when all is said and done. Starting pitching is still woeful, and there's talk of playing Tatis in CF to spare his arm :unsure2:

Well it took nearly two months to complete the total collapse, but here we are. Pads are currently bang on .500, and with the Dodgers and Giants to play over the last week it's looking entirely likely they are going to finish sub .500 after having led the majors in wins early in the summer. Pretty sure it's the worst post-ASB 2nd half collapse of the modern era. Tingler needs emptied, but so does Preller. The trades that were supposed to put the Padres over the top have, Cronenworth aside, been a total failure. Even then JC was really only a make-up piece in that trade. Why they chased Frazier when they already have a logjam on the infield, and they needed a power bat not a contact hitter is totally beyond me. 

The most ridiculous thing is a couple of years ago the media were taking about how the Padres had a depth to their pool of prospects that was unrivalled in the majors, yet this season whenever a SP went on IL there was absolutely nobody to call up and we were left signing totally washed DFA's like Arrieta. Giants coming out of nowhere to win 100+ makes it look even worse, but there's no getting away from the fact that this shambles is entirely at the door of the Padres themselves.

As a Braves fan Will Smith gives me the fear as a closer, gives up too many home runs and never seems to have an easy inning. Last night against the Padres he comes in with a 4-3 lead in the 9th. Walks the first two batters, strikes out the next, walks the bases loaded and then strikes out the last two. Absolute bombscare. Faced 6 batters and the only Braves to touch the ball were him and the catcher

Red Sox and Those Damn Yankees both leave it late to secure play-offs.  Red Sox recovering from 5 - 1 down at the start of the 6th inning and the Damn Yankees leaving it till the bottom of the 9th for a walk-off 1-0 win 🤢.

At least the Red Sox have home advantage (not that it did much good last time v the Yankees).

Yours

aDONis

I genuinely thought the White Sox would be in with a shout of winning it all, but they've been outclassed and outplayed by the Astros.

I'm down to rooting for the Red Sox (who will get rolled over by the Astros) and the Braves 😪

Kill me now if it's an Astros v Dodgers world series, then dig me up and kill me again if the Dodgers win the WS.

Yours, Goooooo Sox!

aDONis