Major League Baseball

jimmy boo

I was at The Tacoma Rainiers v Salt Lake Bees in the Triple-A Pacific Coast League today. It was a near sell out crowd on a gorgeous day and wevsawvsome great baseball played. My wife's friend brought her dad who wanted to sit next to me so he could fill me in on the details of the game since it was my first time. He was an absolute delight and enhanced my experience greatly. Despite the result, I had a great time and when we come to visit the in-laws in the future I'm sure we'll be back. We got our tickets today as part of a promotion and paid just $11 which included a stadium meal, a cap and a voucher for a Chick-fil-a meal. Absolutely outstanding value. If my father-in-law's contact comes through, we'll be at the Seattle Mariners game on Tuesday night as well, which I'm really looking forward to.
https://piesontheterraces.wordpress.com/2018/07/23/tacoma-v-salt-lake/

Really glad you enjoyed the MiLB, im a huge fan of going to minor league games, so far been to Round Rock Express in Texas and Nashville sounds in Tenn and then to the florida single A league, fire frogs and Tampa yankees, its good eh? I wish there was a bit less of the forced atmosphere and there was a bit of singing like at a football match but thats not the american way!lol. Hope you get to the mariners game, should be fun!

4 hours ago, placidcasual said:

Syndergaard to the DL with foot and mouth disease. Even by Mets standards this is bizarre.

This season, I remain optimistic we're capable of topping this.  I'm thinking Robert Gsellman transitions his way to ineligibility or Brandon Nimmo spontaneously combusts rounding third base (minimum 60 day DL).

On 23/07/2018 at 14:13, k-ton said:

This season, I remain optimistic we're capable of topping this.  I'm thinking Robert Gsellman transitions his way to ineligibility or Brandon Nimmo spontaneously combusts rounding third base (minimum 60 day DL).

Cespedes out for 2 months, returns and plays one game and then announces he needs season ending surgery. Aye. That about tops Syndergaard.

f**k and, indeed, sake.

16 minutes ago, k-ton said:

Cespedes out for 2 months, returns and plays one game and then announces he needs season ending surgery. Aye. That about tops Syndergaard.

f**k and, indeed, sake.

Surgery with a recuperation time  of eight months, no less.  What's his contract situation?

5 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Surgery with a recuperation time  of eight months, no less.  What's his contract situation?

Signed till end of 2020 I believe. I read that he’d played in less than half the Mets games since signing his last contract at the end of 2016 season. Excellent bit of business.

9 minutes ago, k-ton said:

Signed till end of 2020 I believe. I read that he’d played in less than half the Mets games since signing his last contract at the end of 2016 season. Excellent bit of business.

Usually big contracts head south towards the tail end.  Look at Hunter Pence - 35 and can barely hit the ball out of the infield.  But he also got two world series rings. So you take it.  It's arguable if the Mets ever got value for money from that Cespedes deal though.  

13 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Usually big contracts head south towards the tail end.  Look at Hunter Pence - 35 and can barely hit the ball out of the infield.  But he also got two world series rings. So you take it.  It's arguable if the Mets ever got value for money from that Cespedes deal though.  

Definitely.  The Mets have been chasing the player they got when they first traded for him in 2015 and they came oh so close to the big prize.  When he opted out of his contract at the end of 2016 you could understand that they were reluctant to let him go, so he gets a new 4 year deal at megabucks. It's been one injury after another ever since and his salary becomes a massive obstacle to building for the future.  It's fucked.

Phillies continue to astound and amaze. 7 homers last night, with three players each getting two. They'll get shutout tonight.

bball.png.0d3cfb07a0eec85dc5dea0cc3bdd8dbe.png

In other news, I got to see Kershaw pitching to Trout the other week. Which was cool. Also saw a game at AT&T Park, which is nicer than Dodgers stadium but absolutely freezing even in the middle of July.

bball2.png.6ccf9de1c60bbcb0f82f1c5b6afbb2e1.png

Phillies continue to astound and amaze. 7 homers last night, with three players each getting two. They'll get shutout tonight.
bball.png.0d3cfb07a0eec85dc5dea0cc3bdd8dbe.png
In other news, I got to see Kershaw pitching to Trout the other week. Which was cool. Also saw a game at AT&T Park, which is nicer than Dodgers stadium but absolutely freezing even in the middle of July.
bball2.png.6ccf9de1c60bbcb0f82f1c5b6afbb2e1.png

AT&T is one of the world’s great sports stadia.

Kershaw is always good. Even when he’s meh, he’s good.

I did end up getting to the Mariners hosting the Giants last week. A couple of absolute booming home runs, abut it was a throwing error from Dee Gordon that allowed the Giants to win 4-3 in the ninth. Safeco is a fantastic stadium, it went right up the top of my favourite list!

https://piesontheterraces.wordpress.com/2018/07/28/seattle-v-san-francisco/

Jays trade Roberto Osuna to the Astros for Ken Giles and two minor leaguers, from a moral and business stance I can understand why they did but from a baseball stance it's another poor trade by Toronto. Hopefully Osuna can get his shit together and be a decent player in Houston

2 hours ago, placidcasual said:
5 hours ago, k-ton said:
Cherry on the cake - Jose Reyes pitched an inning.  This year’s Mets are hilarious. I only wish I could find it funny. 

Daniel Murphy absolutely feasts on Mets pitching since he left.

Everyone feasts on Mets pitching, to be fair.

5 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Everyone feasts on Mets pitching, to be fair.

That’s Syndergaard back today so we’re post-season bound. Either that or he’ll be on the 60 day DL tomorrow. 

ETA - or this! The hilarity continues apace. 

82DF1271-BC57-40C8-94BA-630F109799AF.png

Edited by k-ton