Major League Baseball

jimmy boo

20 hours ago, Cowshed Chris said:

#Phillies have acquired infielder Jean Segura, RHP Juan Nicasio and LHP James Pazos from the Seattle Mariners in exchange for infielders J.P. Crawford and Carlos Santana.

Is it just me or did the Phillies come out of this one extremely well? Harper next please!

Big improvement at shortstop, and Hoskins back to first base. A left handed reliever is needed and Pazos was good last year. Nicasio had an awful year but has been decent in the past.

Santana was a strange signing given it moved Hoskins to left field, and Crawford hasn't got anywhere near his hype.

Big improvement at shortstop, and Hoskins back to first base. A left handed reliever is needed and Pazos was good last year. Nicasio had an awful year but has been decent in the past.
Santana was a strange signing given it moved Hoskins to left field, and Crawford hasn't got anywhere near his hype.
I have no doubt that Crawford will become an above average player in this league, a change of scene will benefit him. Ditto Santana, didn't work out in Philly but he's a talented hitter. Getting Hoskins back to first is a big one and doing it by bringing in an allstar shortstop and a couple of handy relievers was brilliant business.

Wonder where this leaves Kingery? Guess it makes sense to trade Hernandez now if you aren't going to extend him and give SK the chance to play every day at his natural position.

10 hours ago, David W said:

Goldschmidt to St Louis for a season. Big hitter.

One year rental, but I'd have thought St Lous would have a great chance of signing him to an extension.

Glad to see him out of the NL West.  And indeed, the fact that Arizona look to be in rebuild mode.  Not sure why, mind you.

Edit: on the Corbin deal, there are very few team who are dishing out the six or seven year deals to pitchers.  The tail end of that contract is going to look awful.  Shorter deals with higher annual salary is the way forward for starters (and indeed closers)

Edited by Savage Henry

3rd baseman Luis Adan Valbuena last seen with the Los Angeles Angels has died aged 33 in a car crash in Yaracuy, Venuzuela. 2nd/3rd baseman Jose Castillo (last in the MLB with Astros in 2008) also died in the crash.

https://www.mlb.com/news/luis-valbuena-jose-castillo-die-in-car-crash/c-301560648

Edited by GNU_Linux

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, placidcasual said:

Mets front office making noises about being favourites for the NL East after signing Wilson Ramos. These guys not learn anything from my predictions last year?

Mets front office conveniently forgetting about the Mets medical staff.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Mariano Rivera becomes the first unanimous Hall of Fame entrant. An absolutely fitting achievement, albeit one that should have happened with a number of other players years ago.

Halladay (my favourite player ever), Edgar Martinez and Mussina also in.

10 hours ago, David W said:

Mariano Rivera becomes the first unanimous Hall of Fame entrant. An absolutely fitting achievement, albeit one that should have happened with a number of other players years ago.

Halladay (my favourite player ever), Edgar Martinez and Mussina also in.

If I was to make any player unanimous, a closer certainly wouldn't be that player.

Halladay, Rivera and Martinez I have no qualms with at all.  But I think there are players who have been pretty scandalously overlooked, and not just the obvious.

Omar Vizquel is the best fielder I've ever seen.  If a closer can get in, then so should a glove first short stop.

• 3 weeks later...

Realmuto goes to Philly. Not been much talk of it over the Winter with other teams linked but seems like a huge upgrade.

Interesting to see what becomes of Sixto Sanchez. Really highly rated but a few injuries. Alfaro will be a decent catcher for the Marlins.

Realmuto goes to Philly. Not been much talk of it over the Winter with other teams linked but seems like a huge upgrade.
Interesting to see what becomes of Sixto Sanchez. Really highly rated but a few injuries. Alfaro will be a decent catcher for the Marlins.

It’s an interesting move for the Phillies. I don’t particularly trust their front office, but their team does look more competitive than they’ve been in some while.

• 3 weeks later...
Is that money fully guaranteed? As it is with certain NFL contracts

Too early to tell. For MLB veterans, most contracts are. There might be incentives that push it higher. The Devil’s in the detail.

It could be heavily backloaded, although I’d doubt it, but the Phillies are on the hook to pay a 39 year old Bryce Harper thirty million dollars or so in 2032.

That’s going to look horrible in a few years, but in the short term, sit back and watch the dingers.

Huge amount of risk in such a long deal, but you have to spend your money somewhere and the Phillies had lots of budget to throw at somebody. Might as well give it to a 26 year old who is occasionally the best hitter in baseball. Bit scary to think that 8 years from now they'll still owe him over $100 million.

On 28/02/2019 at 21:39, Savage Henry said:

Too early to tell. For MLB veterans, most contracts are. There might be incentives that push it higher. The Devil’s in the detail.

It could be heavily backloaded, although I’d doubt it, but the Phillies are on the hook to pay a 39 year old Bryce Harper thirty million dollars or so in 2032.

That’s going to look horrible in a few years, but in the short term, sit back and watch the dingers.

$10 million this year (with a $20 million signing bonus). $26 million the next 9 seasons. $22 million the final three.

Exciting times to be a Phillies fan regardless. Three All-Star position players from last season in; the first time that's ever been done apparently. When I went to see the Phillies in 2016, Franco, Hernandez and Herrera were the difference makers. They're now likely to make up the bottom third of the line-up.