Major League Baseball

jimmy boo

Hader was astonishingly bad the first couple of weeks he was in SD. It turns out that he had something going on in his private life, health concerns about his child iirc, that coincided with the trade and relocation and really unsettled him

A lot of us SD fans thought he was broken completely and the Brewers had screwed us in the trade, because he couldn't locate any of his pitches. Not just the breaking stuff, he literally could not get his fastball in the strike zone. He looked every bit the guy who was utterly finished as a pitcher in the bigs, but to his credit he went away for about two weeks, worked on some stuff, his personal issues resolved themselves, and he's come back really strongly. 

Can't say enough about Suarez though. For a guy who came back from a blown out elbow to throw 100+ and not look like he's even trying is something else.

"Yankees with a professional performance to shoot down cleveland as expected" is the takeaway but doesn't tell the story of the series. Francona has built a team to put the shiters up the american league in the post-season which is good for a few get it roond ye giggles.

'Mon the philles/pads.

Soto is a total liability in RF. To be quite honest i'm not sure why doesn't just DH for us because Myers is a better RF, Drury and Bell both play 1st base and are never in the line-up together unless one is DH'ing. Soto is by far the weakest glove of the lot, so why he plays outfield when Bell or Drury DH I have no idea 

So many things to question with BoMel's pitching decisions in that game. Clev has been shakey all season, Manaea has been a liabilty for months, yet he's barely used the bullpen for more than an inning here and there the entire offseason and could easily have got through 9 with Martinez taking the start, Morejon can pitch 2-3, Hill a couple.

Its just strange that he decided to put the two guys who have invariably crumpled in tough spots this year into tough spots when he had other options.

Got to admit though, its quite something to have your starter yanked without recording a single out and returning an infinite ERA 

I think the Dads are toast, but grind a win tonight and you never know.

I have somewhat recovered from the Padres season ending. It's a bummer but there was a decent chunk of the season where I genuinely thought the Padres were collapsing the same way they did the year prior and would miss the playoffs. And for the vast majority of my life the Padres season has been over by August.

Have added the NLDS pennant on my wall of Padres stuff, it'll be one I'll always remember -- quite honestly the best game I've ever been to and the biggest Padres party I've ever been apart of, feel quite lucky to have experienced it. At the same time, I can't help but think the emotions of fanbase were too closely mirrored by the team: they wanted to beat the Dodgers so badly for so long it kind of emptied the gas tank. Wouldn't say "they didn't show up" in the NLCS, but the team definitely lacked a bit of that magic they had previously shown (outside of game 2) and I genuinely didn't think that series wasn't coming back to SD. Saw the same kind of thing in 2021 when they swept LA away for the first time in ages and then looked gassed during a bad stretch afterwards. That team is always gonna be an obstacle they'll have to overcome, very likely in the playoffs, so hopefully this wasn't a one-off and they have the ability to do it again.

I had World Series tickets in my account. Couldn't believe it. Just the possibility of that was incredible, but hopefully one day I'll actually be able to use them.

On 23/10/2022 at 03:05, Boo Khaki said:

So many things to question with BoMel's pitching decisions in that game. Clev has been shakey all season, Manaea has been a liabilty for months, yet he's barely used the bullpen for more than an inning here and there the entire offseason and could easily have got through 9 with Martinez taking the start, Morejon can pitch 2-3, Hill a couple.

I'm giving him a pass since he brought a team that looked like they were ready to quit at one point as far as he did. To armchair manage, I'd have put Hill in to open the game and then gone to Clev. Unfortunately Clev & Manaea were gonna have to pitch with the roster the way it was. Think it was a massive mistake to send Crismatt down, thought that was insulting as well since he saved this team last year and this year and would have felt more confident with him in a big game. But hopefully the depth of the pitching next year is a little stronger.

Pads clearly need to find at the very least a dependable 4th starter for the rotation. I'm not in any way suggesting BoMel killed the Pads with his decision making, but if I have one major criticism of him it's that all season long he showed a tendency to leave pitchers in for at least one batter too long. I get that you want to give guys a chance to dig themselves out of their own holes, and yes, you want as much as possible out of your starters and a persistently fresh BP if at all possible, but we got plenty out of our starters as it was and even then BoMel still insisted on leaving Clev and Manaea in games where they were miles off it, and leaving relievers in for 4 or 5 batters when they'd put the first three on base and couldn't get the ball over the plate. I don't blame him for giving Suarez some rope the other night because Suarez has been outstanding all year and earned that leeway, but it seemed that every second or third game there would be an inning that one of our pitchers was clearly struggling, and rather than pull them after 3 BoMel would leave them in for a 4th or 5th batter until they gave up the big hit.

I think there's also a pitcher confidence issue created by doing that. Even if you pull the guy and his replacement gives up the hit/run, it's not charged to him so both guys feel like they're not really at fault, whereas leaving a struggling guy in to get donged, surrender the lead, and take the L really has to put them in a spot that takes a while to get over. And yes, sending Crismatt down was just odd, but I think the staff felt Martinez had taken that long relief role away from him when Crismatt had started to struggle a bit. Personally I thought we should have been looking at returning Martinez to the starting rotation in September when it was clear Manaea's arm had fallen off and Clev still wasn't showing any signs of getting back to anywhere close to what he used to be. I'd have far more confidence in Martinez taking a start and getting through 4 or 5, with Crismatt in the BP for long relief, than handing any game 4 start to the Clev we'd seen most of the year, or Manaea whose only decent start in the past two months came after he hadn't pitched in about 10 days.

Anyway, one thing the postseason run has done is take a few more games off the Tatis counter. It's a big ask to expect him to pick up where he left off after more than a year without baseball and an epic bout of ringworm, but I'm hoping having him back available will add a bit of pop to the line-up that neither Bell or Drury have really managed to provide. Of the two I'd probably prefer we resigned Drury because I think he can be a bit more consistent than Bell at the plate, but then outside of this season his career has been really 'meh', and Bell does switch, so I could live with either. I think Kim has made SS his own spot now, so I see Tatis as nothing more than an occasional starter there when Kim needs a break, and given Profar may well walk we have an outfield spot up for grabs. I'd resign Myers, play him in RF or LF, Tatis in the other spot, Grisham in CF, and have Soto DH, because I genuinely think Soto is a total liability in the outfield, but the saving grace is the flexibility of Myers and Tatis means that everyone should be able to still get days off even with Soto DH'ing the majority of the time.

Edited by Boo Khaki

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

According to ESPN they plan on moving Tatis to the outfield in order to accomodate Boegearts.

Yeah, that's been on the cards for a while because of Tatis' health, but I'm more curious about what they do with Kim after he played Gold Glove level SS last season. They have an obvious hole at 1st base, so there's a lot of speculation they'll shift Cronenworth over there and ask Kim to play 2nd.

Mets have acquired international free agent RHP Kodai Senga on a 5 year $75 million deal. The 29 year old has been with the Fukuoka SoftBank Hawks for all eleven seasons of his pro career with whom he won the Japan Series x5 & made the all-star game x3. Had a no hitter in 2019 as well.