Major League Baseball

jimmy boo

What a draining game but some excellent pitching on display, sorry to see the Mariners eliminated.

Fun fact, the first goal in Seattle's home ice hockey opener happened just 4 minutes after the first run was scored in this baseball game. The baseball game started 6 hours prior to the hockey game.

Red Sox vs. Dodgers World Series Oct. 26, 2018 18 7 hours, 20 minutes Dodgers win 3-2
Giants vs. Nationals NLDS Oct. 4, 2014 18 6 hours, 23 minutes Giants win 2-1
Mariners vs. Astros ALDS Oct. 15, 2022 18 6 hours, 22 minutes Astros win 1-0

6hrs 22 it clocked in at, narrowly missing second spot in post-season history in terms of time, still almost an hour away from the number 1 though!

Innings wise, and with post-season only stats out of the equation,it's still some way off the 25-innings National League game between Cardinals and Mets in 1974!

Edited by Christophe

2 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Scenes in SD

Just got home, never seen anything like it. First playoff game I've been able to go to since I was nine. I cannot believe it. The greatest game I have ever been to.

Edit: I have tickets to the next round. I literally purchased those so if they lost I would get a little refund like a treat. Wouldn't sell them for anything.

Edited by kyle*
i am excited

Bottom of the 7th was the biggest high i've felt as a fan since Dennis Gibson knocked down that 4th Down pass in the AFC Championship Game.

I was totally nerveless after Cronenworth's double because you could feel the Dodgers completely crumple. They were never getting back into that game.

14 hours ago, Christophe said:

This Astros-Mariners game is nuts, into the 17th at 0-0. Already the 4th longest play-off game in history, one inning away from taking the top spot as it stands. Most K's in post-season history has just been notched up also.

I went to bed after the 11th. No surprise to wake up to a loss, but was surprised to see how long it went.

9 hours ago, kyle* said:

Just got home, never seen anything like it. First playoff game I've been able to go to since I was nine. I cannot believe it. The greatest game I have ever been to.

Edit: I have tickets to the next round. I literally purchased those so if they lost I would get a little refund like a treat. Wouldn't sell them for anything.

I lived in San Diego 91-2000 so had to put up with the strike when Tony Gwynn would have been in a race for .400 only to have it taken away then the WS debacle against NY. Very pleased with this.

And we're back to yankee stadium for the decider. Think that will be that for the Guardians after a decent run over the last 20 or so games to get us this far.This team has shown that they will scrap to the last out all season though so still a glimmer of hope.

Pissing myself laughing at this butthurt narrative emerging that because the 100+ win Braves, Mets, and Dodgers have all been bombed, the new playoff format is fundamentally broken and all matchups need to be over 7 games.

Remind me how many games the Astros and Yankees won again?

6 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Pissing myself laughing at this butthurt narrative emerging that because the 100+ win Braves, Mets, and Dodgers have all been bombed, the new playoff format is fundamentally broken and all matchups need to be over 7 games.

Remind me how many games the Astros and Yankees won again?

If you're a team that can grind out around 90 wins per regular season you deserve a swing at the title after  162 games jammed into a 30 week schedule imo.loving its the phillies vs pads for a swing at the nega-shiney trophy and cleveland has a punchers chance instead of a post season pile on team procession although I still reckon its the Astros crown to lose as it stands though.

Rain delay for the yanks-guards wta showdown.

Mon the Cleveland.

Edited by Daddy Cheeze
Sassij fingers.

7 hours ago, Daddy Cheeze said:

If you're a team that can grind out around 90 wins per regular season you deserve a swing at the title after  162 games jammed into a 30 week schedule imo.loving its the phillies vs pads for a swing at the nega-shiney trophy and cleveland has a punchers chance instead of a post season pile on team procession although I still reckon its the Astros crown to lose as it stands though.

Rain delay for the yanks-guards wta showdown.

Mon the Cleveland.

Yeah, as I said last week, everyone starts the postseason 0-0 and the division champs already have homefield, so I don't see how there can be any justification for claiming it needs to be made even easier for them just because some of them shat the bed and effectively "1 and done'd". I mean, if they are dominant regular season sides that the playoffs would be devalued for losing, then they surely shouldn't have any problems dispatching 90 win WC teams when everything is stacked in their favour already.

I think too much value is placed in media talk, panellist predictions and so on, so much so that when they get it wrong a lot of people somehow feel that they've been cheated of something. ESPN ranked the Padres pitching as 12th of 12 in the postseason, which is palpably nonsense given what they've got out of their starters across 162 games. Not one single analyst chose the Padres to beat NYM in NY, or the Dodgers across a best of 5. The Dodgers take I can totally understand because of how they dominated SD in the regular season, but the Pads beat the Mets in H2H this year and I didn't think we had anything to be frightened of in a best of 3, yet the media were utterly adamant it was a foregone conclusion and the Pads should just be grateful to be there. Even the Dodgers presumed obliteration of the Pads is a bit disrespectful in reality. OK, they did totally dominate the regular season H2H, there's no denying that or getting away from it, however, a lot of those wins were pre-trade deadline, the Pads acquisitions really didn't get going until September, and for all the Dodgers are seen as a money team, the Pads salary bill isn't exactly that of a cheapskate cellar-dweller either. Small market perhaps, but they have the 5th best attendance and 5th largest payroll in the majors. It's not like they're just some pub team that won a lottery to play the Dodgers.

On 07/10/2022 at 11:47, arab_joe said:

Please just beat the Dodgers.  Anyone.  Please.

Thank you, San Diego Padres.  You will have my unwavering support for the rest of the play-offs.

On 10/10/2022 at 06:15, Boo Khaki said:

What a fucking performance from No No Joe :wub:

Musgrove has been sensational this post-season. 

However, I think I'm even more impressed by Josh Hader - when I watched him for the Brewers against the (pretty pathetic) Giants a few months ago he was absolutely terrible - I mean really, really jaw-droppingly terrible to the point he made the Giants look fantastic (Article - Hader 'just searching' after 3-homer outing in walk-off loss).

On 10/10/2022 at 17:26, Craig fae the Vale said:

What a comeback that was from the Mariners on Saturday night. Went to bed at 8-1 down thinking it was over and we'd have a game 3 yesterday. Woke up to find out they'd somehow pulled it off. Bring on the Astros!

That was just an incredible comeback/collapse.  I have a soft spot for the Blue Jays, so was sad to see them go out, but that was just such breathtaking. 

On 16/10/2022 at 11:52, kyle* said:

Delighted that you got to witness that live - can hardly imagine how good it was.  I was nervous watching the 10 minute YouTube highlights and I already knew the score!

4 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Leaked footage just in from Chavez Ravine -

I very much enjoyed that!

3 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Small market perhaps, but they have the 5th best attendance and 5th largest payroll in the majors. It's not like they're just some pub team that won a lottery to play the Dodgers.

I just had a look at the MLB salaries: MLB salaries.  I cannot believe that the Guardians are sat 28th, getting this far on an USD 82 million salary is some achievement (for reference, the Giants have more than USD 82 million currently injured...).