Major League Baseball

jimmy boo

Biggest regular season series in years for the Mets starts tonight in Atlanta (weather permitting). We go in with a 1 game lead over the bad guys. Seem to be about to call up overall no 1 prospect Francisco Alvarez, slugging catcher, although I suspect he'll only see action as a DH.

Nobody wants the NL wildcards. Padres are going to do nothing in the playoffs. Far too many 3 and 4 game stretches where the O scores 2 or 3 runs combined. Petco is murder on hitters, but the total lack of slugging makes it doubly difficult to bring home the runners you do get on base. Every night is a LOBfest, which must be utterly demoralising for the pitchers.

I think the only chance of a deep run is to take advantage of playing away from Petco, hope the Mets/Braves battle goes down to the final day and neither can rest up their pitching, then hope they somehow manage to run into the Dodgers having three bad days in the space of five, but more than likely I think they'll lose 0-2 in the Wildcard.

Edited by Boo Khaki

Pads clinch, and back into a WC spot despite the O being completely blanked for the millionth time this season, courtesy of Milwaukee losing a 13 inning effort to the Marlins.

Lets see if the Phillies can lose us into the 5th seed, because there's f**k all chance of this O grabbing it for themselves.

20 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

Some season for the Orioles coming close to a wildcard despite being awful for several years & having the 2nd lowest payroll.

Orioles have some good players. Don't forget also that John Means, their best pitcher has been injured for the vast majority of the season as well

Pads clinch the 5th seed. At Mets in NLWC starting Friday.

Totally meaningless game 162 tomorrow, so I would hope that if the game is decided BoMel lets Wil Myers catch for at least one inning. It's the only thing he hasn't done over the course of his Pads career.

Can't see past the Padres. deGrom has fallen off a cliff in his last 3 or 4 starts and Scherzer hasn't been a lot better over the same period. The bullpen, Diaz and Ottavino aside is a bit of a mess too. Hoping McNeill, Alonso and Lindor can get us thru but not overly hopeful.

On 03/10/2022 at 00:02, GNU_Linux said:

Some season for the Orioles coming close to a wildcard despite being awful for several years & having the 2nd lowest payroll.

Pipped by the Blue Jays when they lost during the week. 

1 hour ago, placidcasual said:

Can't see past the Padres. deGrom has fallen off a cliff in his last 3 or 4 starts and Scherzer hasn't been a lot better over the same period. The bullpen, Diaz and Ottavino aside is a bit of a mess too. Hoping McNeill, Alonso and Lindor can get us thru but not overly hopeful.

The fact all three games are away from Petco makes me slightly less concerned about the Pads lack of offense, but they just don't slug well at all so every night turns into a frustrating LOBfest, and opposing pitchers very rarely have trouble getting out of a jam.

Darvish has been great all season, easily our true Ace, but the other two are a bit odd. Snell has gotten better and better since the ASB whereas Musgrove was practically unhittable prior to July and has fallen away badly since. His breaking stuff just doesn't have the snap it did earlier in the season, and although he didn't get to 200 innings I think his arm is a bit tired. 

I think that if the Mets can prevent the Pads getting on the scoreboard early in the games then they should be ok, although of the three WC teams we could have faced the Mets would have been my first choice.

39 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

The fact all three games are away from Petco makes me slightly less concerned about the Pads lack of offense, but they just don't slug well at all so every night turns into a frustrating LOBfest, and opposing pitchers very rarely have trouble getting out of a jam.

Darvish has been great all season, easily our true Ace, but the other two are a bit odd. Snell has gotten better and better since the ASB whereas Musgrove was practically unhittable prior to July and has fallen away badly since. His breaking stuff just doesn't have the snap it did earlier in the season, and although he didn't get to 200 innings I think his arm is a bit tired. 

I think that if the Mets can prevent the Pads getting on the scoreboard early in the games then they should be ok, although of the three WC teams we could have faced the Mets would have been my first choice.

Didn't realise the higher seed had home advantage in all 3 games, assumed it would be two at Citi and one at Petco although obviously that's not really possible with the 3 games over 3 days. I'm a bit more hopeful now 🤣

Seems to have worked out fairly well for the Phillies. Securing the 5th seed would have been a very difficult path. The Cardinals were probably the best matchup we could have hoped for and, although the Braves are very strong, I'd fancy our chances in the NLDS.

On the flip side, the last week or so has played out terribly for the Mets. Losing the division has meant that instead of enjoying a bye and facing either the Phillies or Cardinals they need to get past the Padres with the Dodgers up next.

First playoffs in 11 years, cannot wait!!

The reason I'm glad the Pads secured the 5th seed is twofold, partly because they usually keel over in St.Louis, but mostly because at some point you are likely to run into the Dodgers, and I think it's far more realistic to think about beating them over 5 games than 7. There is also the tiny bonus that you could, theoretically, end up playing the 6th seed in the NL Championship, so there's the prospect of 4 home games as opposed to 3 at stake. 

I totally accept the arguments that revolve around 'you should just be happy to be here, you have no hope', but then I just point to the fact that people would have said the same to the Braves last year. Everyone is 0-0 right now, including all the teams that won 100+ games in the regular season.

On 17/08/2022 at 09:42, arab_joe said:

Giants have won 5 in a row, having looked absolutely dead on our feet a week ago.  Just no idea what to think of this team.

The season is over for the Giants - and what an odd season. 

No consistency whatsoever, which ultimately did for us - Rodon was on fire pitching (he'll do exactly what Kevin Gausman did last year and go on for big bucks and more than likely be a success) and Pederson was at times excellent with the bat (he'll do exactly what Kris Bryant did last year and go for big bucks - I'm not convinced he'll be as bad as Bryant (which I did predict on this thread...) but he is far from perfect and is dreadful defensively), but that aside too many players were well below-par and at time the defense was comically bad.

On 04/09/2022 at 15:49, Craig fae the Vale said:

Just bought a Mariners jersey from DH Gate. Paid £18 including postage. Hoping it's decent quality, but not a huge amount of money wasted if it's shite. Hopefully arrives for a *whisper it* playoff run!

Enjoy the playoff run!

5 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

The reason I'm glad the Pads secured the 5th seed is twofold, partly because they usually keel over in St. Louis, but mostly because at some point you are likely to run into the Dodgers, and I think it's far more realistic to think about beating them over 5 games than 7.

Please just beat the Dodgers.  Anyone.  Please.