Major League Baseball

jimmy boo

Padres have acquired OF Juan Soto & 1B Josh Bell from the Nats. Nats get SS C.J. Abrams, LHP MacKenzie Gore, 1B Luke Voit, OF Robert Hassell III, OF James Wood & RHP Jarlin Susana in return. 1B & @Boo Khaki 's favourite player Eric Hosmer was supposed to be part of the trade but invoked his no trade clause & is now bound for the Red Sox for terms TBD. Padres have also acquired 2B/3B Brandon Drury from the Reds with SS Victor Acosta going the other way.

Dodgers have acquired OF Joey Gallo from the Yankees to give them a lefty at bat with RHP Clayton Beeter going the other way. The move by the Yankees isn't a suprise as Gallo hasn't had a good season thus far.

Mets have acquired 1B/OF Darin Ruf from the Giants with 3B/LF J.D. Davis, LHP Thomas Szapucki, LHP Nick Zwack & RHP Carson Seymour going the other way.

1 minute ago, GNU_Linux said:

Padres have acquired OF Juan Soto & 1B Josh Bell from the Nats. Nats get SS C.J. Abrams, LHP MacKenzie Gore, 1B Luke Voit, OF Robert Hassell III, OF James Wood & RHP Jarlin Susana in return. 1B & @Boo Khaki 's favourite player Eric Hosmer was supposed to be part of the trade but invoked his no trade clause & is now bound for the Red Sox for terms TBD. Padres have also acquired 2B/3B Brandon Drury from the Reds with SS Victor Acosta going the other way.

Dodgers have acquired OF Joey Gallo from the Yankees to give them a lefty at bat with RHP Clayton Beeter going the other way. The move by the Yankees isn't a suprise as Gallo hasn't had a good season thus far.

Mets have acquired 1B/OF Darin Ruf from the Giants with 3B/LF J.D. Davis, LHP Thomas Szapucki, LHP Nick Zwack & RHP Carson Seymour going the other way.

Fuckin yaaaasssss! Best Padres news in years. 

That's a huge haul to give up, but I suppose the Nats chucking in Bell and getting Hosmer off the books more than makes up for it.

Dads line-up - 4aru1kjcjkf91.thumb.jpg.fc622f8c32b4645cff0918acb2b02352.jpg

Gonna be interesting to see what on earth they do with Tatis once he's back. Most folk seem to think they'll just supplant Kim, but I can't see it because the guy has been playing Gold Glove-worthy SS all season long. He's absolutely elite defensively and league average with the bat. Grisham has been desperately poor all season both with the bat and in CF, so I think Tatis will not play the same position every day. BoMel constantly tinkers and switches the line-up, including moving players around defensively if the team has a lead. So that in mind, I believe Tatis will split his starts between SS, CF, and DH, and he'll drop to CF late in games if the Pads are ahead with Kim playing SS.

Sure is nice to have the depth to accommodate the bats and still give everyone starts in their best positions. I'm beginning to warm to the permanent NL DH.

On 01/08/2022 at 09:55, arab_joe said:

On 12 June, 538.com had us down for a 55% chance of making the playoffs - today that is 16%.

72 hours later, and our play-off odds are down to 8% - we have just lost another two games to the Dodgers (they have beaten us 7 on the spin now, since we swept them in June).

On 03/08/2022 at 01:01, GNU_Linux said:

I already hate this trade - Darin Ruf has been on great form this season and, even worse, J.D. Davis appears to be a big Dodgers fan and has some embarrassing Tweets resurfacing about hating the Giants, hoping they lose etc.  Szapucki has, as far as I can see, pitched 2 innings in his career, and has given up an impressive 15 runs - he'll fit right in at the Giants!

We kept Joc Pederson and Carlos Rodon, but I'm not convinced that was even worthwhile - our season is going to fall away to absolutely nothing...

5 hours ago, placidcasual said:

I don't know if they'll catch the Dodgers but they're going to be a massive danger in the play-offs.

Drury kind of got lost amidst the Soto trade but he's a really solid player and he's having a good season.

Yeah, Dodgers are long gone thanks to the Pads having an awful June and first two weeks of July. There are still 12 Pads/Dodgers games to play, but even in the most outlandish scenario of the Pads taking 9 or 10 of them I can't see LAD dropping 5-6 more games than the Pads the rest of the way. 

You are right about the playoffs though. As I mentioned a wee while ago, Dodgers aside, the Pads don't seem to have any trouble dealing with the other winning teams around the MLB, it's the mediocre outfits they have trouble with, so if that continues and the recent acquisitions can help them close up on LAD then they could be a good outside bet. I still think they'll struggle against steamrollers like NYY and LAD, but if they can add another piece or two they should be up there for a couple of years yet.

Catcher is the one spot that I think is still really weak. Neither Nola or Alfaro are great defensively and both are a bit 'meh' with the bat. Nola is actually quite an effective situational hitter, but neither of them produce anything like the output you'd want from a guy who will take the majority of the starts. Campusano has struggled whenever he's been called up, but he is raking in the Minors, so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that he fills that Catcher hole sooner rather than later. I'm watching Clevinger closely the rest of the way because it would be nice to have him back as another solid starter. I think Manea is the only other SP whose contract is up at the end of the season, but as much as he's a cool guy I think he's probably the lowest ceiling of all the SP's in the rotation and could be replaced. BP needs work, but they do have a couple of formerly reliable arms coming back from IL in Pomeranz and Stammen. 

It's a weird feeling right now. Obviously the Pads are in full 'sell the farm/win now' mode, but it's not a situation Pads fans have ever truly encountered before so I don't know whether to just relax and enjoy it or get even more stressed about W/L :lol:

Edited by Boo Khaki

Shoutout to RHP Jess Chavez who has been traded for the tenth time in his career & second time in four months which has made him the most traded player in MLB history. Chavez was traded by the Braves to the Angels along with LHP Tucker Davidson for RHP Raisel Iglesias.

Edited by GNU_Linux

On 04/08/2022 at 12:47, placidcasual said:

Drury kind of got lost amidst the Soto trade but he's a really solid player and he's having a good season.

I had no idea how good Drury was (perhaps because the Reds were so dire at the start of the season) - but his figures this season are incredible and looks like they'll only improve. 

Please, Padres, stop the Dodgers from winning the World Series.

On 04/08/2022 at 13:49, arab_joe said:

72 hours later, and our play-off odds are down to 8% - we have just lost another two games to the Dodgers (they have beaten us 7 on the spin now, since we swept them in June).

24 hours later, and our play-off odds are down to 7% - within a week we'll be under 1%.  I know that last season (107 wins) was a one-off, but the drop-off in form in pretty much every area has been jarring.  

21 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

It's a weird feeling right now. Obviously the Pads are in full 'sell the farm/win now' mode, but it's not a situation Pads fans have ever truly encountered before so I don't know whether to just relax and enjoy it or get even more stressed about W/L :lol:

As above, please just stop the Dodgers from winning.

15 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

Shoutout to RHP Jess Chavez who has been traded for the tenth time in his career & second time in four months which has made him the most traded player in MLB history. Chavez was traded by the Braves to the Angels along with LHP Tucker Davidson for RHP Raisel Iglesias.

Good article on the MLB's most traded player ever

That is quite a career!

I think BoMel has had a bump on the head. Same Padres line-up/order for the 4th game in a row.

Really interesting to see how much of the Pads fanbase is really hostile towards Tatis Jnr right now. It's clear the club are fucking furious and they have good right to be, but a lot of the fans are seemingly at the point where they wouldn't bat an eyelid at the Pads voiding his contract either.

DeGrom looks back to his best after just 3 starts. 6 innings, 2 hits, 10k and no walks or runs last night v Phillies. Era in his 3 starts is 1.62. This is after a full year out. He was hitting 102mph and a slider in mid 90s. He is going to get paid when he opts out at the end of the season.

Texas Rangers have punted Chris Woodward as manager after posting a 51-63 record well below expectations given the big money the Rangers have invested into their squad. Woodward got the job late in the 2018 season & finished overall 211-287. 3B coach Tony Beasley has been given the job on an interim basis until the end of the season.

Baffling how a team with so much talent and that payroll can have so many games where the offence does nothing whatsoever. It's not just the odd game here and there, they go entire series and days on end where the bats are totally dead. I feel sorry for the SP's to be honest. So many times this year I've watched a guy pitch his guts out over 6 or 7, give up 1 run, and take the L because SD just can't score a run to save their lives.

Alcantara was imperious last night, so I don't really count that as an example, but it's still frustrating enough when you know after one or two inning that the entire line-up is having one of these games and simply isn't going to score. SD has too many players who are happy to watch meatballs down the middle on 1 and 2 strikes, yet hack at anything miles off the plate.