Major League Baseball

jimmy boo

MLB and the MLB Players Association meet this Thursday to discuss issues etc..

will this one last more than 7 mins😀

Alleged proposals (to be discussed later)

– There will be a universal DH with pitchers no longer needing to pick up a bat again.

– The playoffs will be expanded from 10 teams to at least 12 teams, but likely 14 teams.

– The minimum salary will rise from $570,500 to at least $700,000.

– The luxury tax, currently at $210 million, will start at $230 million with incremental raises each year.

– Players still will need six years of service time to reach free agency or turn 29½, whichever comes first.

– Players will be eligible for salary arbitration earlier than three years or Super 2 status if they make the All-Star team, reach a certain WAR score, or attain other incentives.

– Teams cannot receive a top 5 draft pick three consecutive years no matter how awful the team performs.

– There will be advertising logos on uniforms, perhaps even by your favourite betting sites.

– No more seven-inning doubleheaders with ghost runners no longer coming into games before the 12th inning.

– The maximum number of pitchers on a staff will be limited to 13 in 2022 and 12 for the duration of the CBA.

– A pitch clock will be incorporated in 2023.

• 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

MLB have requested the assistance of the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service in the CBA negotiations with the MLBPA.

It's not looking good for the season to get started on time. 

Minor Leagues will get going as scheduled at least, so I'll at least have the Rainiers and AquaSox to cheer on.

• 4 weeks later...

This is doing an excellent job of making me not interested in baseball for the year ahead. Does anyone look at this dispute and not just think its the owner's who are being greedy?

Thankfully I remembered to cancel my mlb.tv re-sub before it kicked in again, but feeling pretty apathetic about the season now. Coming out of 2 pishy pandemic seasons with low/no crowds to manage to cancel the start of thisseason just to argue about money for a while longer is a massive own goal.

Anyone been to a game in the States before? Going to be in New York next month and got tickets to a Yankees Vs Red Sox game.

Any tips, do's and don'ts?

Already resigned to paying over the top prices for food and drink, but anything else?

Anyone been to a game in the States before? Going to be in New York next month and got tickets to a Yankees Vs Red Sox game.
Already resigned to paying over the top prices for food and drink, but anything else?
I've been to a few Blue Jays games in Toronto. The locals there get quite pissed off if you go to food stalls/toilets during an inning. TV's everywhere so no big deal to wait until the inning is over before returning to your seat.

14 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

Was at the Mariners v Giants in Seattle a few years ago. The food is overpriced but it was all really good quality. I found craft beer taps as well, which was a nice bonus and they were inly marginally more expensive than the bog standard stuff. 

I echo what was said about trying not to get up while the game is in play, the locals don't like it one bit, wait til the end of an inning.

On 12/03/2022 at 12:24, ScoRoss said:

Have a great trip - was in NYC before Christmas and it is definitely the best city in the world (if you've not been before or are looking for ideas, the thread in the Travel Forum is pretty good)! 

Very jealous that you're going to Yankees v Red Sox, will be amazing.  Only tip is to savour every last drop of your lukewarm Bud Light - not many places you'll be charged 12 dollars for that delight!  As others have said, don't get up during an inning - but in all honesty there are so many breaks in play there is no need.

Kris Bryant has left the Giants for the Rockies, signing a 7 year deal for $182 m.  In my eyes, he did not show nearly enough last year to justify either of those figures...

• 3 weeks later...

Bit late to the party but the league approved the use of the Pitchcom system to allow the catcher to communicate with the pitcher plus position players without the risk of sign stealing. System had been trialled last year in the A-level minors plus this seasons spring training & also aims to help speed up the game which imo is much needed.

Rōki Sasaki of the Chiba Lotte Marines threw the 16th perfect game & 94th no hitter in NPB history against the Orix Buffaloes in a 6-0 win. Not content with a perfect game Sasaki also tied the NPB record of 19 strikeouts in a single game set in 1995 by Koji Noda of the Orix BlueWave & set a NPB record by striking out 13 consecutive batters.

Did I mention Sasaki is a 20 year old with a 102mph fastball? Oh & his catcher for the game Kō Matsukawa is only 18.

The feat was the first perfect game since Hiromi Makihara's perfect game in 1994 for the Yomiuri Giants against the Hiroshima Toyo Carp & first no hitter since Yasuhiro Ogawa did it for the Yakult Swallows against the Yokohama DeNa Stars in 2020.

2 hours ago, placidcasual said:

Kershaw absolutely lights out v Twins. He's retired the first 9 batters he's faced on 30 pitches, striking out 5.

Pulled after 7 innings with the perfect game still on. It's a shame it was so early in the season. His pitch count wasn't high at all.