Major League Baseball

jimmy boo

Watching the Giants continues to be an absolute pleasure this season - another very dominant 8-0 win over the Mets yesterday, and that was with Sammy Long as starting pitcher (worryingly Kevin Gausman has been added to the COVID-injured list and Anthony DeSclafani is injured). 

Particularly enjoyable is that no one player dominates the team - they seem to be taking it in turns to be "hot" - with Brandon Belt's time coming yesterday with 2 home runs, Kris Bryant before that, LaMonte Wade Jr. before that, Darren Ruf before that, Buster Posey and Mike Tauchman earlier in the season etc.

Brandon Crawford is completely re-born having looked pretty poor last year.  The MVP chants are, in my entirely biased opinion, totally justified.

Conversely, the Padres definitely appear to be overly reliant on (the admittedly majestic) Tatis Jr.  I found this article quite interesting: FiveThirtyEight article on Padres.

The Pads problem is the starting pitching. Outside of Darvish the rest of the starting rotation is either perpetually injured or extremely hot and cold. The bullpen is more than adequate, but it's horrendously overworked due to the team's inability to find a 4th and 5th starting option that can make more than one start. When the starters do, once in a blue moon, pitch a solid 5 or 6 inning game, the bullpen tends to blow it because they're totally overused due to firefighting a ridiculous number of 2 and 3 inning games from the starting pitching. Then there are the ludicrous number of planned bullpen games simply because there is no starting pitching available.

The Pads are obviously a better team with Tatis in the lineup, but when he's been out it's not as if the offensive production has ground to a halt. They have enough talent in the line-up to still produce adequately without him, even with Hosmer being pretty much a passenger. It really doesn't matter how good Tatis is, he can't overcome pitching that habitually gives up clusters of runs early in the game entirely on his own.

4 hours ago, arab_joe said:

Watching the Giants continues to be an absolute pleasure this season - another very dominant 8-0 win over the Mets yesterday, and that was with Sammy Long as starting pitcher (worryingly Kevin Gausman has been added to the COVID-injured list and Anthony DeSclafani is injured). 

Particularly enjoyable is that no one player dominates the team - they seem to be taking it in turns to be "hot" - with Brandon Belt's time coming yesterday with 2 home runs, Kris Bryant before that, LaMonte Wade Jr. before that, Darren Ruf before that, Buster Posey and Mike Tauchman earlier in the season etc.

Brandon Crawford is completely re-born having looked pretty poor last year.  The MVP chants are, in my entirely biased opinion, totally justified.

Conversely, the Padres definitely appear to be overly reliant on (the admittedly majestic) Tatis Jr.  I found this article quite interesting: FiveThirtyEight article on Padres.

I was listening to a Mets podcast and they were talking about how the gulf between the Giants and the Mets is not the roster on face value (unlike the Dodgers, who are just stacked in every position).  The difference between the Mets and the Giants are how they take the back up guys and make them better - Lamont Wade jr and Mike Yastrzemiski being the obvious cases - once they are already on the roster.  The Giants lead the majors in home runs, but that’s because they’ve got about seven players with 19 home runs.   Their hitting coach - and, I must admit Gabe Kapler -  has done a great job.

On 25/08/2021 at 10:39, Savage Henry said:

2 and 9 so far.  I guess 2 is better than 0.

2 and 10, now.

A game that the Mets really should have won last night - 10 hits converted into only 1 run (Johnny Cueto came straight from the injured list into the game and did not look particularly comfortable - in the first 3 or 4 innings the Mets should have been out of sight), with the Giants scoring two runs off the very first pitch after Walker was taken out (having pitched very, very well).  Giants even dropped two catches in the ninth inning and left the bases loaded, in what looked like an attempt to completely blow it.

18 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

The difference between the Mets and the Giants are how they take the back up guys and make them better - Lamont Wade jr and Mike Yastrzemiski being the obvious cases - once they are already on the roster.

LaMonte Wade Jr. has come from nowhere and has been exceptional (although, slightly oddly, he just cannot bat against left-handed pitchers).  Mike Yastremzski is pretty powerful, too, but that was perhaps a bit more predictable given his heritage.  With hindsight, the trades that brought them both to the Giants were very good - Shaun Anderson has not done much since (he has been released by Twins, Rangers and Orioles), and Tyler Herb, the prospect that was traded for Yaz, has never played a game in the MLB.

Article on Wade Jr.'s rise at Giants

But the point made in the podcast is definitely true - guys are regularly coming up from AAA or back from injury (or from Korea, in the curious case of Darren Ruf) and growing into really effective players - long may it continue! 

11 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Hate to flog a dead horse, but things are going badly south for the Mets.   No chance Luis Rojas is coming back next season.

I don't mind Rojas and I wouldn't be averse to him getting another season. He's had a really bad hand with inuries and the gig was up the minute deGrom was out for any length of time. Walker and Stroman are fine to compliment someone like him but when you have to rely on them for a couple of months to be your 1 and 2 it was never going to end well. Lucchesi was turning round after a really bad start and blew his elbow completely. Peterson looked good for a young guy and he's injured too now. The number of starters we've had to use this season is ridiculous.

The line-ups we were winning with up until deGrom went down were filled with guys who should have been playing Triple A. If they'd went for a top class starter, or even two good starters in July we'd have had half a chance of winning a really poor division. Instead we got a 3 month rental on Baez and his strikeouts. The big worry for me is the payroll. I think it was 3rd highest overall at the start of the season. Cano is back next year with the last year of his daft contract. Alonso is going into arbitration for the first time. Conforto will get a qualifying offer which he'll probably have to take given how shite he's been as well.  In terms of the value for money, it's awful. I don't know what Cohen does but he's in a tricky spot as a completely inexperienced owner.

11 hours ago, placidcasual said:

I don't mind Rojas and I wouldn't be averse to him getting another season. He's had a really bad hand with inuries and the gig was up the minute deGrom was out for any length of time. Walker and Stroman are fine to compliment someone like him but when you have to rely on them for a couple of months to be your 1 and 2 it was never going to end well. Lucchesi was turning round after a really bad start and blew his elbow completely. Peterson looked good for a young guy and he's injured too now. The number of starters we've had to use this season is ridiculous.

The line-ups we were winning with up until deGrom went down were filled with guys who should have been playing Triple A. If they'd went for a top class starter, or even two good starters in July we'd have had half a chance of winning a really poor division. Instead we got a 3 month rental on Baez and his strikeouts. The big worry for me is the payroll. I think it was 3rd highest overall at the start of the season. Cano is back next year with the last year of his daft contract. Alonso is going into arbitration for the first time. Conforto will get a qualifying offer which he'll probably have to take given how shite he's been as well.  In terms of the value for money, it's awful. I don't know what Cohen does but he's in a tricky spot as a completely inexperienced owner.

I think his quotes today after the latest loss to the Giants about Syndergaard cutting out his curveball are quite telling:

“I thought they gradually were going to incorporate the curveballs, but I did hear that he said that,” Rojas said. “We can talk about these things and see where he’s at, but I do like the willingness of him participating in any role. He’s still a force, even if he doesn’t have those two pitches.”

Seems like he’s a bit on the outside.

Edited by Savage Henry

Unlucky 13 as the Yankees go down 3-2 to the A's. Shutdown for pretty much all of game courtesy of an excellent 7 innings by Frankie Montas allowing only two hits both by Aaron Judge. Yankees two runs came in 9th off an Aaron Judge HR.

On 13/08/2021 at 18:37, placidcasual said:

Next two weeks will make or break the Mets. 4 straight series and 13 consecutive games against the Dodgers and the Giants.

Mets lost the final game of the series against the Giants the other night, to make it 2 and 11 from those make-or-break games. 

Pretty poor - especially as they should easily have won those last two ties, with Giants well off-form (Giants had 10 hits turned into 6 runs, Mets had 19 hits but only managed 4).

On 27/08/2021 at 20:49, Dolf said:

12 on the bounce

Looking good for the wild card now

I quite like the 538 website and its statistical predictions: link.

Looks like 8 of the play-off spots are pretty much done and dusted (Dodgers, Giants, Rays, Brewers, White Sox, Astros, Yankees and Braves) and the Reds and Red Sox almost certainly taking the last two spots - Dodgers way out in-front as favourites for the World Series.

Pretty much 3 years to the day since I went to my first MLB game (and only Giants game), as shown in my avatar.  What a day that was:

On 29/08/2021 at 12:28, arab_joe said:

Mets lost the final game of the series against the Giants the other night, to make it 2 and 11 from those make-or-break games. 

Pretty poor - especially as they should easily have won those last two ties, with Giants well off-form (Giants had 10 hits turned into 6 runs, Mets had 19 hits but only managed 4).

Looks like 8 of the play-off spots are pretty much done and dusted (Dodgers, Giants, Rays, Brewers, White Sox, Astros, Yankees and Braves) and the Reds and Red Sox almost certainly taking the last two spots - Dodgers way out in-front as favourites for the World Series.

Pretty much 3 years to the day since I went to my first MLB game (and only Giants game), as shown in my avatar.  What a day that was:

Such a great stadium on a day like that. 

On 29/08/2021 at 15:28, arab_joe said:

What a difference 72 hours makes - our odds of winning the division are down to 33% and our slim chances of winning the WS are even slimmer (down to 6%)... we are running out of steam pretty badly at the moment!

On 29/08/2021 at 17:52, Dolf said:

A Ball game is always a great day out, especially being a Yankees fan that lives near Boston

Fenway is a dump but it's in a great location and it's always a good time winding up the natives 

I love Boston.  Planning another trip up that area in the next couple of years so will definitely take in a game at Fenway.

13 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Such a great stadium on a day like that. 

It was - had amazing seats just behind home plate, too.  My only regret is that I opted for nachos over the garlic fries - at the time I had no idea they were an SF delicacy.

• 2 weeks later...

Beginning to think the Cards will take the 2nd NL WC because it sure looks like neither the Pads nor Reds want it.

Pads Reddit is a hoot right now. No wonder. Team has been awful since the ASB, but laughably bad since the start of August especially. I fear for Eric Hosmer's life if he dares go out in public in SD

Edited by Boo Khaki