Major League Baseball

jimmy boo

Mets give up on trying to sign their first round pick Kumar Rocker. Think there are injury issues and they've tried to welsh on the signing bonus. They also gave away their 2020 first rounder to get Baez.

Burning the farm down.
That's Rocker's second time being drafted & not signed. Rockies drafted him in 38th round of the 2018 draft but never proceeded to sign him.

After buying at the deadline, Phillies are atop the NL East. Game on!
I watched last night's game. I don't think the mets are winning the division. Really needed pitching at the deadline but went all in on Baez who was a luxury we didn't need.

17 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Pads looking more and more like a .500 team when all is said and done. Starting pitching is still woeful, and there's talk of playing Tatis in CF to spare his arm :unsure2:

They’re in a really tough division and went all in at the trade deadline.  I still think three teams come out of the NL West.  

I agree that they are still likely to grab the WC slot they currently occupy, but right now they look like they are sliding backwards rather than getting stronger. 

They certainly have the infield pieces to compensate for Tatis not being there, in fact, I'd be really shocked if they don't improve defensively with Kim/Cronenworth/Frazier on the field instead, but it's infuriating watching the starting pitching either get hit out of the game early night after night, or once in a blue moon make it through 6 innings only for the totally overworked bullpen to have a rare off-night and blow the good work. 

Pads seem to suffer from the exact same malaise as the Chargers, in that they work hard to address one shortcoming, get it fixed, and just as they do the wheels fall off some other aspect of the team completely. Neither franchise ever seems to be at 100% for any length of time, whether that's playing a complete game in the Chargers case, or putting together one solid cycle through the rotation for the Pads.

Edited by Boo Khaki

23 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

I agree that they are still likely to grab the WC slot they currently occupy, but right now they look like they are sliding backwards rather than getting stronger. 

They certainly have the infield pieces to compensate for Tatis not being there, in fact, I'd be really shocked if they don't improve defensively with Kim/Cronenworth/Frazier on the field instead, but it's infuriating watching the starting pitching either get hit out of the game early night after night, or once in a blue moon make it through 6 innings only for the totally overworked bullpen to have a rare off-night and blow the good work. 

Pads seem to suffer from the exact same malaise as the Chargers, in that they work hard to address one shortcoming, get it fixed, and just as they do the wheels fall off some other aspect of the team completely. Neither franchise ever seems to be at 100% for any length of time, whether that's playing a complete game in the Chargers case, or putting together one solid cycle through the rotation for the Pads.

Yeah.  I will say though, if you look at the Giants or the Brewers, or even the Phillies, teams sometimes come out of nowhere to be really strong teams.  A good manager - and more importantly a good GM/scouting team - can take a team up a level.  I’m honestly not sure if the Padres have that.  But in baseball, it’s all about getting into the playoffs.  If the Padres can get the WC slot, they could do well.  That being said, they play the Giants a lot in the last third of the season, and that will make or break them.  

I wouldn’t look too far past the Brewers from the NL, though.  That team is flying under the radar.  

Diamondback's LHP Tyler Gilbert throws a no-hitter in his 1st start against the Padres becoming the 4th player to do so.

The previous player to achieve this was RHP Bobo Holloman for the St Louis Browns in 1953 during his sole MLB season. The other two are Ted Breitenstein for the St Louis Browns in 1891 & Bumpus Jones for the Reds in 1892.

League is up to 8 no hitters this year matching the record set way back in 1884.

To add to the feat The Diamondbacks are currently ranked last overall in the MLB while the Padres are in the post season hunt.

On 13/08/2021 at 15:37, placidcasual said:

Next two weeks will make or break the Mets. 4 straight series and 13 consecutive games against the Dodgers and the Giants.

0 and 4 across the first 4 games. I have to be honest and say I'm veering towards break at the moment  🤣

Cole Hamels must be the best con artist in history, Signs with the Braves last year, plays 1 game and pockets $18 million. Pretends he healthy again, signs with the Dodgers for $1 million and doesn't even play one game for them. That must be him done now, surely no other team are going to be daft enough to give him another chance

On 13/08/2021 at 15:37, placidcasual said:

Next two weeks will make or break the Mets. 4 straight series and 13 consecutive games against the Dodgers and the Giants.

23 hours ago, placidcasual said:

0 and 4 across the first 4 games. I have to be honest and say I'm veering towards break at the moment  🤣

0 and 5 now.  Bit of a gulf in class becoming apparent.  Better hope Baez reups, otherwise that draft pick is going to be a potential waste.  

Would still rather take the Mets approach than the Nationals. 

8 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

0 and 5 now.  Bit of a gulf in class becoming apparent.  Better hope Baez reups, otherwise that draft pick is going to be a potential waste.  

Would still rather take the Mets approach than the Nationals. 

Steve Cohen has channeled his inner George Steinbrenner and had quite a pop at the team on twitter now.

On 17/08/2021 at 08:32, placidcasual said:

2 and 9 so far.  I guess 2 is better than 0.

On 18/08/2021 at 07:38, Boo Khaki said:

Pads continue to disintegrate.

You called it.  They might not even make it at this point.