Major League Baseball

jimmy boo

Oakland A's pitcher Jesus Luzardo on IL after suffering a hairline fracture pinky in his hand sustained while ahem gaming

Oakland Athletics left-hander Jesus Luzardo will be off the mound for a while -- and maybe off video games too.

Luzardo is out indefinitely after breaking the pinkie on his pitching hand when he thumped a table while playing a video game before his start Saturday.

An X-ray after an 8-4 loss to the Baltimore Orioles showed a hairline fracture, and Luzardo was put on the 10-day injured list Sunday.

Oakland manager Bob Melvin said he didn't know how much time Luzardo would miss or whether he would require a cast or splint on the finger. Melvin was hopeful the pitcher could still keep his arm in shape given the location of the break.

"Before the game he was playing a video game and accidentally bumped his hand on the desk as he was playing the game," Melvin said. "He came in, was a little bit sore, training staff checked him out. We threw him in the cage before he went out there, watched him warm up. He was comfortable pitching, the training staff was comfortable with him pitching. After the game, we got an X-ray and there was a hairline in the pinkie finger."

Oakland is getting first baseman Matt Olson back in the lineup Sunday. Olson had missed three straight games after being hit in the left eye by a ball that ricocheted off the L-screen during batting practice Thursday.

Luzardo pitched three innings and took the loss against the Orioles, allowing six runs -- three earned -- on five hits.

He is 1-3 with a 5.79 ERA over six starts this season.

"It just depends on how it heals and how it responds," Melvin said. "As you would expect, it was a little bit worse today, a little bit puffier today, but really have no idea on a timetable yet."

The A's also placed right-hander J.B. Wendelken on the injured list with a strained left oblique, recalling right-hander Jordan Weems from their alternate training site to take his roster spot.

Left-hander Adam Kolarek was called up from the alternate site to take Luzardo's place.

On 12/04/2021 at 08:37, arab_joe said:

Decent start to the season for the Giants - if it was not for an incredible collapse from 6-1 up in the 8th inning on day one then "we" (I'm not sure if my attendance at one game in 2018 allows me such familiarity, but there you go...) would be sitting 7-2. 

Brandon Crawford looking very good - long may it continue.

Giants continuing to play some decent baseball, most notably a 12-0 win over the Rockies last week (who do appear to be particularly poor at the moment) - and sit top of NL West.

Kevin Gausman pitching really well, and Buster Posey and Brandon Crawford hitting well - and though he has only played a couple of games but I am liking what I have seen of Mike Tauchman.

54 minutes ago, Craig the Hunter said:

The minor leagues start tonight. I'll be following the fortunes of the Triple-A Tacoma Rainiers and the High-A Everett AquaSox, both Mariners affiliates. 

Anyone else following a minor league team?

Been following the Brooklyn Cyclones on Twitter for a couple of years, and hoping to take in a game next time I do a summer trip to New York.  I wouldn't describe myself as a huge fan...

Dodgers starter Dustin May out for the season due to a damaged ulnar collateral ligament that'll require a Tommy John

Los Angeles Dodgers starter Dustin May, one of the game's brightest young pitchers, will undergo season-ending Tommy John surgery to repair a damaged ulnar collateral ligament, the team announced on Monday.

The surgery is scheduled for Tuesday, May 11 in L.A. and will be performed by Dr. Neal ElAttrache. The recovery timetable usually falls somewhere between 12 and 16 months, a prognosis that could have May back for the stretch run of the 2022 season. May, 23, isn't scheduled to reach free agency until after the 2026 season.

"I feel for him, most important," Dodgers manager Dave Roberts said. "For our ballclub, it's a big blow. But we have a lot of talented players and we just have to find a way to fill that void."

The Dodgers began the season with an abundance of high-caliber starting pitching but are currently down to four healthy starters -- Clayton Kershaw, Walker Buehler, Trevor Bauer and Julio Urias. David Price, who was operating out of a bullpen role, is nursing a hamstring injury that will keep him out four to six weeks. And Tony Gonsolin is still on the injured list, though he has begun the process of being built back up as a starting pitcher.

Gonsolin could return before the end of May, at which point he would essentially take May's spot. Price is expected to return as a reliever. In the meantime, the Dodgers -- forced into a split doubleheader on Tuesday after Monday's game from Wrigley Field was postponed due to inclement weather -- might utilize an assortment of relievers every time a fifth starter is needed.

Another option could be to start Bauer every four days, as opposed to the traditional five. Bauer has long welcomed the opportunity to operate under that schedule, stating that his body has proved capable of remaining at an optimum level with one fewer day off between starts.

"We've thought about it, yeah," said Roberts, who has also previously dismissed the possibility of utilizing top prospect Josiah Gray as a spot starter. "There's a scenario that it could happen. I think we do a good job of entertaining certain things, and certainly Trevor has talked about that."

May has a 2.93 ERA with 111 strikeouts and 27 walks in 113 2/3 regular-season innings over the past three years, wowing fans and evaluators with his assortment of triple-digit sinkers and devastating cutters. May won the fifth spot of the Dodgers' rotation coming out of spring training and appeared to reach yet another level in his development in 2021, with a 2.74 ERA through five starts.

He exited his Saturday start against the Milwaukee Brewers with pain in his right arm and underwent an MRI while the team was in Chicago on Monday morning, which revealed a UCL tear significant enough to necessitate surgery.

Roberts said there were no warning signs leading up to that injury. May's pregame warm-ups went well, as did his between-starts work days earlier. Nine pitches before exiting, May threw a fastball 99.7 mph. But his last one came in at 94.3 mph, his slowest fastball all season. May noticeably winced and motioned to the dugout.

It'll be a long time before he throws another pitch.

Roberts spoke to May earlier on Monday and said he was "emotionally obviously down."

"When you hear kind of the ultimate decision, outcome, as far as having to have surgery, it's obviously very disappointing. He's handling it like a pro, wants to figure out what's the next step after surgery, and kind of attack it that way. But, yeah, I think disappointed, certainly."

19 hours ago, arab_joe said:

Giants continuing to play some decent baseball, most notably a 12-0 win over the Rockies last week (who do appear to be particularly poor at the moment) - and sit top of NL West.

Kevin Gausman pitching really well, and Buster Posey and Brandon Crawford hitting well - and though he has only played a couple of games but I am liking what I have seen of Mike Tauchman.

12-4 demolition of the Rockies last night, with Posey, Crawford and Tauchman all on form.  Great to see.  First inning well worth watching:

22 hours ago, arab_joe said:

12-4 demolition of the Rockies last night, with Posey, Crawford and Tauchman all on form.  Great to see.

And just like that, Giants go back to being Giants - and lose twice in a day to the Rockies, including conceding a 3-run walk-off home run with 2 outs in the final inning.  The bookies had Giants with a 99.8% chance of success at some point...

19 minutes ago, Craig the Hunter said:

Breaking: The Oakland A's will start exploring the possibility of relocating with the blessing of MLB, a move that could put pressure on local government officials to greenlight a new stadium project that has spent years in limbo, sources tell @JeffPassan.

Re-location to Canada & re-branding as the Eh's.

Yankees finally getting their act together in the last few weeks, and starting to look like genuine contenders.

I feel bad for oakland, though. What a shite situation they're in, and looks like they'll lose another big team (after losing the raiders).

On 06/05/2021 at 08:27, arab_joe said:

And just like that, Giants go back to being Giants - and lose twice in a day to the Rockies, including conceding a 3-run walk-off home run with 2 outs in the final inning.  The bookies had Giants with a 99.8% chance of success at some point...

Giants with another very strange few days - sweeping aside the Cincinnati Reds 4-0 in Concinnati, one of which was an absolute pasting:

Then return to San Francisco only to be swept aside 3-0 by the Dodgers...

Back to 3rd in the NL West, with the Padres and Dodgers both on 9-1 runs.  

1 hour ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

Why did the Pirates player just not step on 1st base and he would have been out. Amazing a guy plays baseball all his days, makes the Major Leagues and doesn't seem to know the rules

Why did the Pirates player just not step on 1st base and he would have been out. Amazing a guy plays baseball all his days, makes the Major Leagues and doesn't seem to know the rules
God knows. I can only think he was utterly discombobulated by what Baez was up to.