Major League Baseball

jimmy boo

• 2 weeks later...

The Mets, meanwhile, continue their crazy up and down and back up again season. 

Open the season 11-1.

Crumble over the next couple of months, including going 5-21 in June.

Since the All Star Game have won 10 series, split 3 and lost 3 (though are only 29-24 across that stretch). 

Plus David Wright has retired, finally. There’s something sort of symbolic about that in the context of their recent injury ravaged seasons.

Open the season 11-1.
Since the All Star Game have won 10 series, split 3 and lost 3 (though are only 29-24 across that stretch). 
Plus David Wright has retired, finally. There’s something sort of symbolic about that in the context of their recent injury ravaged seasons.
Kind of glad the captain is calling it a day. Should free up some cash and after so long out he was never going to be anything other than a shadow of his former self.

2 minutes ago, placidcasual said:
4 hours ago, k-ton said:
Open the season 11-1.

Kind of glad the captain is calling it a day. Should free up some cash and after so long out he was never going to be anything other than a shadow of his former self.

It's definitely time to look to the future. When it's time, it's time.

On the subject of moving on  - do you think they'll trade any of their top 3 pitchers to get some better bats for next year?

On the subject of moving on  - do you think they'll trade any of their top 3 pitchers to get some better bats for next year?

I hope not. Not sure who hits free agency this year. Maybe go down that route instead? I like what the boy McNeil is doing and Rosario is finally looking like the prospect he is.

19 hours ago, placidcasual said:
23 hours ago, k-ton said:

I hope not. Not sure who hits free agency this year. Maybe go down that route instead? I like what the boy McNeil is doing and Rosario is finally looking like the prospect he is.

Let’s aim high and take Machado and Harper. 

On 26/09/2018 at 09:50, Sarto Mutiny said:

That's the Cubs only half a game ahead in the NL Central now. I'm not panicking. Really. Definitely not.

Ooft! Least Cubs get home advantage tonight!

But still, ooft! 

Ooft! Least Cubs get home advantage tonight!
But still, ooft! 
Tbf to the Cubs, they didn't blow it or collapse as such. The form of the Brewers in September has been incredible. Yelich is almost guaranteed to be MVP.

Not optimistic about tonight, but then again I never am.

On 10/1/2018 at 09:04, Sarto Mutiny said:

Tbf to the Cubs, they didn't blow it or collapse as such. The form of the Brewers in September has been incredible. Yelich is almost guaranteed to be MVP.

Not optimistic about tonight, but then again I never am.

Your fears confirmed. 

Weird though -  Cubs lose what feels like a play-off but are still in it and have home field advantage for the wild card game - it's not all bad!

1 hour ago, k-ton said:

Your fears confirmed. 

Weird though -  Cubs lose what feels like a play-off but are still in it and have home field advantage for the wild card game - it's not all bad!

It happened more or less as I thought it would. The Cubs bats have been pretty poor this last month. I think even if they win the WC game tonight, I cannot see them beating the Brewers in a 5 game series. The Brewers are too good right now.

Fair play though, I will grudgingly admit that on the balance of both the season and last night they fully deserve the NL Central title. They could win it all, you know...

1 hour ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

It happened more or less as I thought it would. The Cubs bats have been pretty poor this last month. I think even if they win the WC game tonight, I cannot see them beating the Brewers in a 5 game series. The Brewers are too good right now.

Fair play though, I will grudgingly admit that on the balance of both the season and last night they fully deserve the NL Central title. They could win it all, you know...

Just so long as it's not the damn Yankees...

Shows how valuable it is to hit form at just the right time.

8 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Cubs go home for the winter, and it's the Rockies who progress.  Play-off games in Colorado are often a bit of a joke with all the cheap home runs, so it could be a fun series with the Brewers, 

Same old story. Pitching good, but let down by not enough hitting. The Cubs have been running on fumes for about a month. They've played something daft like 41 games in 42 days.

Cubs Twitter has had a lot of heads gone stuff in the last few days, from fans with rather short memories. Imagine saying to a Cubs fan even four years ago that they'd be disappointed with "only" getting to the WC game. Shows how expectations have switched.