Lowland League Cup 2017-18

HibeeJibee

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Netherdale is fast becoming the Hampden Park of this tournament. First 3 editions were there, and now the 5th... interrupted only by last year at Ainslie Park (when Spartans had a home tie).

Selkirk 3-0 BSCG
Cumbernauld 3-0 Stirling Uni

Final ... Sunday 13th May, Netherdale, 3pm ... Selkirk v Cumbernauld Colts

On ‎04‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 14:26, jinky said:

Nice and handy to encourage supporters?!

:huh:

54 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Incidentally this is Selkirk's first cup final for 10yrs (when they beat Lothian Thistle to win the EOS Qualifying Cup 2007-08). Only their third in 30yrs+. Huge for them. 

Just goes to show what bringing good players in on the promise of big wages and let’s say having issues does for you. Any team in any division can do that, it’s the clubs who work within their means that you have to feel for. Fair play to the players at Selkirk remaining proffesional and sticking to their task, that’s who you feel happy for not the club imo.

1 hour ago, Display said:

Just goes to show what bringing good players in on the promise of big wages and let’s say having issues does for you. Any team in any division can do that, it’s the clubs who work within their means that you have to feel for. Fair play to the players at Selkirk remaining proffesional and sticking to their task, that’s who you feel happy for not the club imo.

You seem upset display. 

Issues doon at Selkirk ? Tell us more? 

I was doon at Selkirk no even 2 weeks ago and the ww season was finished probably when we went behind that day. There were players playing for ww that day that were drawn oot a raffle imo ?

(Selkirk now in a cup final by the way) 

From watching ww for years the criticism I've read elsewhere aboot Borders clubs I really think it's ww that needs a reality check? 

I would like to wish BOTH clubs all the best even though its very local for Selkirk but the facilities at Netherdale are up there with the best at non league level imo and are worthy deserved of a cup final. 

8 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

You seem upset display. 

Issues doon at Selkirk ? Tell us more? 

I was doon at Selkirk no even 2 weeks ago and the ww season was finished probably when we went behind that day. There were players playing for ww that day that were drawn oot a raffle imo ?

(Selkirk now in a cup final by the way) 

From watching ww for years the criticism I've read elsewhere aboot Borders clubs I really think it's ww that needs a reality check? 

I would like to wish BOTH clubs all the best even though its very local for Selkirk but the facilities at Netherdale are up there with the best at non league level imo and are worthy deserved of a cup final. 

i've got a pair of boots- where can I buy raffle tickets for the chance to play for Whitehill?! 

I can remember City and either Spartans or Whitehill were due to play a midweek cup final one year with the venue being set as Victoria Park, Innerleithen. As this wasn't the handiest venue City and the opposition just agreed to play at the opposition's ground although given City's cup final record it would have been better to scratch! 

Nothing against Cumbernauld Colts but good luck to the Souters. Hopefully it's a good final with a good crowd. 

18 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

i've got a pair of boots- where can I buy raffle tickets for the chance to play for Whitehill?! 

I can remember City and either Spartans or Whitehill were due to play a midweek cup final one year with the venue being set as Victoria Park, Innerleithen. As this wasn't the handiest venue City and the opposition just agreed to play at the opposition's ground although given City's cup final record it would have been better to scratch! 

Nothing against Cumbernauld Colts but good luck to the Souters. Hopefully it's a good final with a good crowd. 

Tam you've no seen us lately lol.

I've already given my thoughts but wi the champions scratching season upon season maybe its time to go like the EoSFL and give this Cup a chance at the start of the season. 

Very best of luck to BOTH teams but it does take a wee bit prestige away imo? 

Personally to have the cup final at netherdale is a great choice on one of the most hospitable grounds on the LL circuit. I appreciate the mileage difference between the 2 teams, ye just canny please everybody. 

Best of luck to both teams if yer good enough doesn't matter where its played.  :thumsup2

Hmmmm.....neutral  and central venue would have made sense?!

Every likelihood the final was going to be contested by 2 teams from the top 6.

IMO Ainslie would have been a good shout again and although Netherdale is a good set up it’s location is far from perfect.

Just imagine if CCs and BSC had reached the final how ridiculous a venue this would have been.

Appreciate you never know who will get to final but surely a central choice is logical?

That's a myth, though frequently heard in Border football circles.

SCC - Duns v Stirling Uni was at Galashiels... EQC - Coldstream v Whitehill and Selkirk v Lothian Thistle were at Innerleithen; Vale v Gretna was at Hawick... LLC - Selkirk v Cumbernauld is at Gala... ELC - Coldstream v Annan was at Gala... AJC - Kelso v Easthouses Peebles v Lothian Thistle and Peebles v Leith were at Innerleithen; Eyemouth v Leith was at Coldstream.

On the flipside since the millennium all you've got are: AJC - Kelso v Lothian Thistle and Eyemouth v Leith were at Prestonpans; EQC - Kelso v Spartans was at Riccarton; KC - Spartans v Gala was at Prestonpans; Spartans v Vale (twice) and Heriot-Watt v Vale were at Rosewell; Peebles v Spartans EOS was at Muirhouse. Even then, Rosewell or Prestonpans would be often be fairly equidistant e.g. Innerleithen > Rosewell.

That's a myth, though frequently heard in Border football circles.

SCC - Duns v Stirling Uni was at Galashiels... EQC - Coldstream v Whitehill and Selkirk v Lothian Thistle were at Innerleithen; Vale v Gretna was at Hawick... LLC - Selkirk v Cumbernauld is at Gala... ELC - Coldstream v Annan was at Gala... AJC - Kelso v Easthouses Peebles v Lothian Thistle and Peebles v Leith were at Innerleithen; Eyemouth v Leith was at Coldstream.

On the flipside since the millennium all you've got are: AJC - Kelso v Lothian Thistle and Eyemouth v Leith were at Prestonpans; EQC - Kelso v Spartans was at Riccarton; KC - Spartans v Gala was at Prestonpans; Spartans v Vale (twice) and Heriot-Watt v Vale were at Rosewell; Peebles v Spartans EOS was at Muirhouse. Even then, Rosewell or Prestonpans would be often be fairly equidistant e.g. Innerleithen > Rosewell.
What would the breakdown be since the LL started. I know of a couple of other finals at Gala but nowhere else to my knowledge.

There have only been 4 with Borders clubs in them since LL began.

Peebles v Spartans EOS was at Muirhouse, but Peebles v Leith was at Innerleithen; Eyemouth v Leith at Coldstream; Selkirk v Cumbernauld at Gala.

Other finals not involving Borders clubs have also come in the form of Galashiels hosting Stirling Uni-Preston and EK-Gretna (twice) in LLC.

Archived