SSFL - The Future

On 01/05/2018 at 17:50, Eck Houston said:

Creetown FC have never paid players and never will as long as I am chairman.so away and spout your pish somewhere else agueroooooooooo ya clown

You don’t need to justify yourself to these keyboard warriors - the truth is out there and if they have no facts they simply make it up !!!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 28/04/2018 at 10:11, Cyclizine said:

I have no problem with the SoSFL being at Level 6, on a par with the EoSFL. However, the league footprint must cover the whole of the Lowland area outwith the EoSFL area, so basically the current WRJFA area. If the league is prepared to do that, great, crack on. But, if the wish is to continue to be essentially the Dumfries & Galloway League, covering a population of 150,000 then it is unrealistic and inequitable to  expect to be at Level 6, where we're talking at least 10 times the population and a significantly bigger footprint. This is where all the chat about the theoretical new WoSFL has come from.  The SoSFL should really take a lead on this, but I suspect it'll be the EoSFL facilitating things in the West. It's time to decide what the league wants to be: a district league for practically amateur clubs or a league for semi-pro clubs  making the step up to regional football. Either is fine, but given the current pace of change, the league needs to decide soon!

When is the SoSFL's AGM ?

Heard via our Secretary that Wigtown have notifed Osbourne that they are unlikely to return this season. 

This is 100% #FAKENEWS

Wigtown and Bladnoch Football Club will be competing in the south of Scotland next season. FACT

9 hours ago, CD1953 said:

Heard via our Secretary that Wigtown have notifed Osbourne that they are unlikely to return this season. 

Hopefully you're incorrect, but from what I've heard is they are coming back. 

Who is your club sec? As there's been no comms to any clubs either way. 

The PWG met on Thursday and the gossip about what was discussed is trickling out. The SFA have apparently acknowledged the need for a proper WoS feeder to the Lowland and will help establish one. Since its coming from the SFA and not the SJFA, SoS clubs being offered a spot first seems a pretty safe idea.

I'm speaking from a position of massive ignorance, but the SoS as a feeder into a WoS pyramid structure surely makes sense. Two West wide leagues at tiers 6 and 7, with SoS, Central and Ayrshire feeding in at tier 8. Club size, support and relative quality seem to be better matched than sticking the SoS on a par with Bonnyrigg, LTHV or Hill of Beath next year. 

24 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

I'm speaking from a position of massive ignorance, but the SoS as a feeder into a WoS pyramid structure surely makes sense. Two West wide leagues at tiers 6 and 7, with SoS, Central and Ayrshire feeding in at tier 8. Club size, support and relative quality seem to be better matched than sticking the SoS on a par with Bonnyrigg, LTHV or Hill of Beath next year. 

Likelihood is it will become a feeder at T7 in the long run.  But for any WosL that is created must give a first option for SosL league clubs to be a part of. Whether that be for all, or licensed clubs. If a Jnr club wants to be involved, they look to get there on merit and not by it's name.

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

It probably will become a feeder to any WoS especially in the beginning. Since this looks like it will have the backing of the SFA with little SJFA likely it's likely to follow the Lowland League model of open applications and an intention of being as close to licencing as possible so that clubs can get promoted. A boundary might also be finally defined between the new WoS & EoS.

Not only do you have some of the SoS clubs that would be interested, Glasgow University typically get mentioned if only to ensure they retain their licence. Stuff like that might put off a number of West Junior clubs and you might not see massive numbers move across. Even if you get a dozen like the EoS this year you'd only have 28 teams between the WoS & SoS.

Eventually it'll likely evolve into something like Tier 6 = WoS, Tier 7 = SoS (Dumfries & Ayrshire) & Central Scotland (Old Junior Central District). I doubt you'd see two region wide leagues until there's a full integration with the West Juniors & SoS.

38 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Always thought WoS league would sit alongside SoS and EoS at tier 6 to start?

Once enough sides get licenced then LL west might get formed with both leagues staying at tier 6.

I think it'll likely replace the SoS or at least be a rebranded SoS to begin with and take invitations.  

41 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Always thought WoS league would sit alongside SoS and EoS at tier 6 to start?

Once enough sides get licenced then LL west might get formed with both leagues staying at tier 6.

When the BSC email came out at the start of the year, it was written with the intention of the WoS sitting at same level of EoS & SoS. Since then you'll likely have noticed that BSC and their intention to have a league for their reserves doesn't get much of a mention. The idea's grown arms and legs, it's looking more likely that the WoS will take the Tier 6 standing.

That's partly based on the idea that with it being open to applications, a number of SoS clubs would look to join. Also the likes of Gretna & Dalbeattie if they were to be relegated out of the Lowland would probably prefer to be relegated into the WoS which would attract the other big South clubs to that league as well I imagine.

Are there any teams from Gatehouse competing in local amateur leagues?

No. Fleet star were always the only team to play out of Gatehouse for as long as I've been around. It would mean players coming from other towns to form a team as there doesnt seem to be that many players from gatehouse.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived