SSFL - The Future

Does anyone know whether Wigtown & Bladnoch have applied to rejoin the SoSL for next season, as their SFA Licence is currently still valid ? Apparently the deadline for SoSL applications is tomorrow ??

I believe the plan with Fleet (who Wigtown have copied by “taking a year out”) was that as they complied with the rules stated in them doing this, that if they could field a team, they just had to inform the league before the cups were drawn (which is the AGM)... So I’d imagine there won’t be an application, more just them saying we can play and joining back up!

Unprecedented though as Fleet didn’t get manage to get back in so I guess time will tell on what actually happens with Wigtown...

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given yesterday's news that there are an abundance of clubs applying to join the EoSFL and with Clydebank  staying in the juniors  and looking to join the EoSFL if there's not a WoSFL in season 2019/20, I'd hazard a guess that the future for the SoSFL may be bleak, but it really depends on where clubs see themselves in the next five to ten years.

7 hours ago, Deeside Dynamo said:

Given yesterday's news that there are an abundance of clubs applying to join the EoSFL and with Clydebank  staying in the juniors  and looking to join the EoSFL if there's not a WoSFL in season 2019/20, I'd hazard a guess that the future for the SoSFL may be bleak, but it really depends on where clubs see themselves in the next five to ten years.

The SOSFL future is far from bleak. We have a well-run league with enough teams to give 250 odd players games every week without the hassle of putting themselves in danger of bankruptcy.

Keyboard warriors will no doubt read this as lack of ambition but isn't the most important thing getting youngsters playing the game at a reasonable level every week? 

Whatever the trajectory of the pyramid, the SOSL of itself is in fine fettle IMO. More clubs than in ages; Alba Cup route to Scottish Cup; sponsors & prizemoney; youth sides in LL/EOSL U20s.

Remember there's no Saturday amateur league in Dumfries & Galloway nowadays - it's catering for everything beneath LL in the south-west.

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

Whatever the trajectory of the pyramid, the SOSL of itself is in fine fettle IMO. More clubs than in ages; Alba Cup route to Scottish Cup; sponsors & prizemoney; youth sides in LL/EOSL U20s.

Remember there's no Saturday amateur league in Dumfries & Galloway nowadays - it's catering for everything beneath LL in the south-west.

Good points made by both you and Info, yet I still have a feeling that the SFA may seem a little bit reticent to where it sees the league fit into the pyramid.

Whilst it's an established part of the pyramid, and even more so after Edusports promotion last season, I don't see any mass influx of clubs from South Ayrshire wanting to join and it would seem they'll be holding out for a WoSFL. Now, does a WoSFL fit in at the same tier as the SoSFL or will the clubs interested in that shout loud enough  and throw their presumed weight around at the expense of the clubs in the South and move the SoSFL down a tier? If that happens then you've really got to question how the SFA actually see us and that's where I see possible problems in the future hence my initial misgivings.

Yes but ask how many clubs in the South (as stated many times before ) want or can afford to be in the LL. Most of them just want to play football every week with what limited finance they have and probably always will have.

Don't see any great problem either if a South club is ambitious all they have to do under the present shambles, is reinvent themselves a la East Kilbride and Edu.  

Even if the SOSFL moves down the pyramid in the future then I don't think that means the future is bleak at all.   

Have to agree with this, due to your geographic area a WoS league might be required and could well mean you move down a tier and feed into the WoS league although respect should be given to your teams and any SoS team licensed or near licensed should be invited to apply but it doesn’t mean your league future is bleak just gives clubs in your area a stepping stone before going straight to the Lowland League and the travel it involves. As has been said the SoS is about getting people playing the game no matter the tier it’s at. I could see a WoS league above you with a North / South split below feeding it obviously the South being your league with a few of the south Ayrshire junior / amateur teams and then the North being Glasgow area and the Northern Ayrshire teams.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve read numerous comments on other Forums in PnB with people stating / suggesting that the SOSFL should be potentially demoted to Tier 7 in the wake of the expected Junior influx into the EOS and the possibility of a new WOSL ! This surely is not only demeaning to the South but highly hypocrital by most posters considering that before the arrival of Kelty Hearts the East was also considered by them to be a ‘glorified Pub League’ that was dead on its feet. Granted the arrival of all of these potential new teams will be a breath of fresh air for the East but that surely doesn’t give anyone the right to decide outwith the powers that be that this leaves the South trailing before we even hear if any  of the West Juniors are officially considering applications either for next Season or for 2019/20 if the proposed WOSL doesn’t get the green light 

8 hours ago, AML67 said:

I’ve read numerous comments on other Forums in PnB with people stating / suggesting that the SOSFL should be potentially demoted to Tier 7 in the wake of the expected Junior influx into the EOS and the possibility of a new WOSL ! This surely is not only demeaning to the South but highly hypocrital by most posters considering that before the arrival of Kelty Hearts the East was also considered by them to be a ‘glorified Pub League’ that was dead on its feet. Granted the arrival of all of these potential new teams will be a breath of fresh air for the East but that surely doesn’t give anyone the right to decide outwith the powers that be that this leaves the South trailing before we even hear if any  of the West Juniors are officially considering applications either for next Season or for 2019/20 if the proposed WOSL doesn’t get the green light 

The SOSL is an amateur league .Its place is at the bottom of the pyramid.

1 hour ago, weeredbook said:

The SOSL is an amateur league .Its place is at the bottom of the pyramid.

Which was exactly what the EOSL has been considered by you guys for years as it’s realistically been on a par. To suggest this influx of ‘desirable additions’ suddenly suggests the new improved version is now the glamorous destination for the ‘in crowd’ and leaves the South as poor relation is laughable. Had the shift included more of the traditionally biggest Junior teams from the West joining the Pyramid through the SOSFL  would this have still been the case and why after all these years of ignoring the opportunity should these Clubs be given any preferential treatment now they’ve realised the  ‘grass might actually  be greener’ in the other side 

The EoS was struggling badly until recently, yes.  The main difference, however, is that the EoS represents a huge area compared to the SOS.  If the SoS remains as a Dumfries & Galloway League (with the occasional Ayrshire club) then it can't remain at tier six long-term.

The EoS can fairly easily open up to the East juniors without dramatically changing the geography of the league.  If the SoS opens up to all of the west juniors then I'm sure some of the current clubs wouldn't be too happy and it would completely change the league.

28 minutes ago, stanley said:

The EoS was struggling badly until recently, yes.  The main difference, however, is that the EoS represents a huge area compared to the SOS.  If the SoS remains as a Dumfries & Galloway League (with the occasional Ayrshire club) then it can't remain at tier six long-term.

The EoS can fairly easily open up to the East juniors without dramatically changing the geography of the league.  If the SoS opens up to all of the west juniors then I'm sure some of the current clubs wouldn't be too happy and it would completely change the league.

The SoS could open themselves up in the same way that the EoS has. Mass applications, transitional season all at the same level with a move to tiered divisions the following season. The fact the league has opened itself to those clubs from Ayrshire & Lanarkshire in the past shows that there might be the same willingness to accomodate that the EoSFL has shown.

1 hour ago, stanley said:

Agreed the EoS is in a far better geographical location for an easier transition for the Juniors but surely ( let’s just say ) if Talbot , Glenafton , Cumnock , Kilwinning etc expressed a desire to immediately join the South then Clubs of this stature would clearly , greatly enhance the South as firstly Kelty and now Bonnyrigg , Camelon etc will obviously strengthen the East ? As for current Clubs being happy I’m quite sure the vast majority would realise this is the direction the Pyramid now appears to be going so there’s a simple choice to make - move with the reality of the situation or move aside and let those that want to welcome change embrace it.

If all the big clubs from the West Juniors joined the South of Scotland league it would all basically boil down to the same thing anyway.  All the big Juniors would end up in the Tier 6 league, and most of the current SoSL teams would end up in Tier 7 (or below).  It's essentially just a matter of what that Tier 6 league is called, and who administers it.

34 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

If all the big clubs from the West Juniors joined the South of Scotland league it would all basically boil down to the same thing anyway.  All the big Juniors would end up in the Tier 6 league, and most of the current SoSL teams would end up in Tier 7 (or below).  It's essentially just a matter of what that Tier 6 league is called, and who administers it.

I agree, it'll be little different from what is in the process of happening with the EoSFL. "Traditional" EoSFL clubs will start moving down from Tier 6 into divisions that'll be set up below.

Easiest way is just starting a WoSFL at tier 6, this can be administered by the current SoSFL if they want. Invite the existing West Superleague & SoSFL clubs for this division. I can imagine that most of the SoSFL clubs don't want to move into the WoSFL anyway. They can then stay in a southern based tier 7.

Archived