SSFL - The Future

I'm sure most/all clubs will be area of the news following the questionnaire completed by Junior Clubs and their prorposals to seek further discussion on the possibility of entering the Pyramid structure in 2019/20 season. 

With this in mind, what are people's thoughts on it and where it leaves our league?

Clearly over the past 5 years or so, I've personally seen the game adapt and change in our region for the better and adopt a more Structured and Professional set up.  We now have sponsored competitions and some prize money.  Teams are licensed and the football on offer is definitely of s better standard.  

Would there be an expectation that our league continues at Tier 6, or move to a Tier 7? Would licensed clubs be required to move to a potential West of Scotland adaptation of the Lowland League...

This is in no way a personal opinion or representation of my club, more a forum for discussion on the news and thoughts of people close to our game. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm sure most/all clubs will be area of the news following the questionnaire completed by Junior Clubs and their prorposals to seek further discussion on the possibility of entering the Pyramid structure in 2019/20 season. 
With this in mind, what are people's thoughts on it and where it leaves our league?
Clearly over the past 5 years or so, I've personally seen the game adapt and change in our region for the better and adopt a more Structured and Professional set up.  We now have sponsored competitions and some prize money.  Teams are licensed and the football on offer is definitely of s better standard.  
Would there be an expectation that our league continues at Tier 6, or move to a Tier 7? Would licensed clubs be required to move to a potential West of Scotland adaptation of the Lowland League...
This is in no way a personal opinion or representation of my club, more a forum for discussion on the news and thoughts of people close to our game. 

I’d expect they may create a West of Scotland League out of the West Region Juniors and tag the East and North on right after the EoS and HL respectively!

Then from there, I could see the potential for teams like Bonnyton to be allowed to move to WoS...

Interesting times though

Surely existing teams in SSFL with licences (or close to getting one) will be the first to be offered a place in the new WoS (which is inevitably going to happen at some point) and those who don't wish to go will remain wherever the SSFL ends up whether that's tier 6 or tier 7. The same as those in the Juniors who don't want to leave 'Junior' - let them settle wherever they end up at the bottom of the pile.

48 minutes ago, boulderdomb said:

Surely existing teams in SSFL with licences (or close to getting one) will be the first to be offered a place in the new WoS (which is inevitably going to happen at some point) and those who don't wish to go will remain wherever the SSFL ends up whether that's tier 6 or tier 7. The same as those in the Juniors who don't want to leave 'Junior' - let them settle wherever they end up at the bottom of the pile.

I would tend to agree, but, is it fair to bump clubs down a league (SSFL T6 to T6) in order to accommodate Juniors?  Why not have the SSFL renamed SW (South & West of Scotland) FL and have the current league as a 'Prem' with Juniors feeding in at T7 and then having to go up by merit?  I appreciate due to Promotion places etc it will take a number of years for clubs to find their feet and level, but there have been opportunities in the past few years for them to come on board akin to Bonnyton and Edu.

11 hours ago, debian said:

I would tend to agree, but, is it fair to bump clubs down a league (SSFL T6 to T6) in order to accommodate Juniors?  Why not have the SSFL renamed SW (South & West of Scotland) FL and have the current league as a 'Prem' with Juniors feeding in at T7 and then having to go up by merit?  I appreciate due to Promotion places etc it will take a number of years for clubs to find their feet and level, but there have been opportunities in the past few years for them to come on board akin to Bonnyton and Edu.

Assuming that a West of Scotland senior league (at tier 6) is formed for the 2019/20 season (as seems certain given the outcome of the SJFA questionnaire, and the number of West Juniors who have stated that they wish to join), the SJFA will probably try to get a 'drop in' exclusively for all the clubs in the West Super League Premier. This will fail IMO, for 2 reasons:

(1) n ot all West Super League Clubs want to leave the Junior League (there is a club by club summary of the outcome on the Future of  the Juniors thread) 

(2) the FA will almost certainly ensure that the SoSL clubs have the opportunity to become members, as the SoSL is currently at tier 6.  This offer will probably be extended to Glasgow University and Girvan who are already Members of the SFA.

Thereafter, the SoSL could be dropped down to become a feeder league for the WoSL,  comprised of those South clubs who don't wish to  join the new league. However this will be the subject of consultation/negotiation in the months to come, with the parties concerned.

12 hours ago, boulderdomb said:

I agree that licensed clubs Threave, St Cuthberts & Newton Stewart are in an ideal situation to be offered  places in the new WoSL, if they want to be part of it.

Does anyone know whether Wigtown & Bladnoch have applied to rejoin the SoSL for next season, as their SFA Licence is currently still valid ? Apparently the deadline for SoSL applications is tomorrow ??

12 hours ago, Robert James said:

I agree that licensed clubs Threave, St Cuthberts & Newton Stewart are in an ideal situation to be offered  places in the new WoSL, if they want to be part of it.

Does anyone know whether Wigtown & Bladnoch have applied to rejoin the SoSL for next season, as their SFA Licence is currently still valid ? Apparently the deadline for SoSL applications is tomorrow ??

30th April is the deadline for written applications according to the league's constitution.

13 hours ago, Robert James said:

Surely anything that goes ahead involving West/South West But give preference to Licensesed members in the first place - if they want it.

I can't see why they wouldn't to be honest though. Then a feeder in to the SoSFL for promotion and relegation would give others a chance to go up if they so wished in the future. 

Also would like to think Abbey Vale who share Palemerston might look towards a license and any others in the South.  Do think change will be good if done in the right manner and gives opportunities to all clubs inc Creetown, Heston, Mids etc.

1 hour ago, Hossy87 said:

Surely anything that goes ahead involving West/South West But give preference to Licensesed members in the first place - if they want it.

I can't see why they wouldn't to be honest though. Then a feeder in to the SoSFL for promotion and relegation would give others a chance to go up if they so wished in the future. 

Also would like to think Abbey Vale who share Palemerston might look towards a license and any others in the South.  Do think change will be good if done in the right manner and gives opportunities to all clubs inc Creetown, Heston, Mids etc.

Heston, no?

2 hours ago, Robert James said:

noted thanks - I received some misinformation

any up to date news about Wigtown ?

As far as I know, they are coming back for next season, but haven't seen it confirmed.  

38 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

With it being a South of Scotland section I would of thought Edusport would of gotten a mention. Especially as they are the last club to have been promoted without owning their own ground.

Is it lesser Hampden they are now at?

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Still playing home games at Annan I believe. Guessing with the crowdfunding campaign and training base they have, getting home games closer to Glasgow will be a priority.

Ah fair enough.  

Archived