Job References

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, throbber said:

I am actually.

When I was going for a graduate job though I never once got asked for a reference though which I found strange.

Did you get any of the jobs?

I did a reference for a guy I know recently - he'd been self-employed for ages, so couldn't approach an employer for a reference - we just explained that to potential employers.

I only know him well enough to know that he's a decent, moral guy who'd run his business really well - he got the job.

Did you get any of the jobs?

I got offered 2 jobs before I took the one I’m in and none of them asked me for a reference. I put “references available upon request” on my CV but they were never mentioned during all but one interview I did.

3 hours ago, throbber said:

I got offered 2 jobs before I took the one I’m in and none of them asked me for a reference. I put “references available upon request” on my CV but they were never mentioned during all but one interview I did.

In graduate jobs, references are quite often asked for after job offers are made.

Companies tend to know already that most graduates are work shy c***s.

16 hours ago, LincolnHearts said:

Any fellow P&B'ers have a spouse or partner who's been out of the employment loop for a while?

Mrs LH has been a homemaker/domestic engineer/daytime tv aficionado for over 20 years while the kids have been growing up.

With our youngest going to be starting high school after the summer holidays, she has been looking for a part-time job, but is falling down at the references bit with not having been at work since she was 21, with the places she did work being long gone.

Any ideas how to get round this?

Lie.

11 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Lie.

If I haven't missed a joke here, then you're a tit.

Thanks for your input though.

Mrs LH won't even cross the road unless the green man is showing, so there's no chance she'll tell any porkies.

I've had two interviews that lasted under ten seconds, neither of which required any references. Then again, these consisted of:

1. "I'm glad some c*** wants the job, you're hired" (this coming after the initial answering of the phone was met with "this had better be f***in good as I've just sat down to my dinner!" after a cold call before me). FWIW, this guy is amazingly one of my best friends 15 years on.

2. "Say you can work Christmas and new years night and the job is yours". Yes I can. "Welcome on board".

1 hour ago, LincolnHearts said:

If I haven't missed a joke here, then you're a tit.

Thanks for your input though.

Mrs LH won't even cross the road unless the green man is showing, so there's no chance she'll tell any porkies.

Mrs LH big team found. 

11 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

I've had two interviews that lasted under ten seconds, neither of which required any references. Then again, these consisted of:

1. "I'm glad some c*** wants the job, you're hired" (this coming after the initial answering of the phone was met with "this had better be f***in good as I've just sat down to my dinner!" after a cold call before me). FWIW, this guy is amazingly one of my best friends 15 years on.

2. "Say you can work Christmas and new years night and the job is yours". Yes I can. "Welcome on board".

:lol:

Had a couple of interviews for jobs.
The last one being the best.
Was offered the job by a friend of my fathers.
Turned up for the interview..... after a couple of minutes of.... when can you start and wages/bonuses on offer the talk turned to football for the next 20 mins or so.
The manager was a StMirren fan ( hated Kevin McAllister )and the foreman (big Rangers fan ) had played in a Scottish Cup Final in the early 60's against Celtic and scored.
Was a great place to work.

13 hours ago, bud1876 said:

Had a couple of interviews for jobs.
The last one being the best.
Was offered the job by a friend of my fathers.
Turned up for the interview..... after a couple of minutes of.... when can you start and wages/bonuses on offer the talk turned to football for the next 20 mins or so.
The manager was a StMirren fan ( hated Kevin McAllister )and the foreman (big Rangers fan ) had played in a Scottish Cup Final in the early 60's against Celtic and scored.
Was a great place to work.

"Of course, this was after my transfer from Barcelona..."

• 2 months later...

Only phone interview I've had went like this
"Have you worked with nodes before"
"Not sure can you describe them"
"Can you start monday"
Two week contract led to working 18 months and a permanent contract.

My current job had a particularly brutal two-stage interview. 

The first of which had my future manager read out the job description pretty much verbatim, then ask me if I thought I could do everything on the list. I said "Yes". 

For the second part, they hauled me back in and read out a list of stuff that I'd already told them I didn't know how to do. They then asked me if I'd be willing to learn how to do it. I said "Yes".

Cheers. 

4 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

"Can you start monday"

When do you find out what a node is/does?

4 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

"Can you start monday"

Send nodes

Archived