Job References

Any fellow P&B'ers have a spouse or partner who's been out of the employment loop for a while?

Mrs LH has been a homemaker/domestic engineer/daytime tv aficionado for over 20 years while the kids have been growing up.

With our youngest going to be starting high school after the summer holidays, she has been looking for a part-time job, but is falling down at the references bit with not having been at work since she was 21, with the places she did work being long gone.

Any ideas how to get round this?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, LincolnHearts said:

Any fellow P&B'ers have a spouse or partner who's been out of the employment loop for a while?

Mrs LH has been a homemaker/domestic engineer/daytime tv aficionado for over 20 years while the kids have been growing up.

With our youngest going to be starting high school after the summer holidays, she has been looking for a part-time job, but is falling down at the references bit with not having been at work since she was 21, with the places she did work being long gone.

Any ideas how to get round this?

Tell prospective employers. They'll ask for personal references or just by pass it. By law past employers can only really confirm you worked there and that they'd employ you again. New employers often don't bother asking, unless it's a security or disclosure check, which is done through Government agencies and has nothing to do with past employment.

If she's desperate, volunteer somewhere. They'll probably take anybody and give a reference.

Tell prospective employers. They'll ask for personal references or just by pass it. By law past employers can only really confirm you worked there and that they'd employ you again. New employers often don't bother asking, unless it's a security or disclosure check, which is done through Government agencies and has nothing to do with past employment.
If she's desperate, volunteer somewhere. They'll probably take anybody and give a reference.

Ah, the true spirit of volunteering summer there! (Good suggestion though, to be fair)

Just now, throbber said:

Surely if its a part time job they will understand her situation with regards to references and not see it as too big a problem?

Wit? Part time job does not automatically mean, what you think it means.  There is many part time jobs that will require many references & checks.

You still a part time bricky? 

Wit? Part time job does not automatically mean, what you think it means.  There is many part time jobs that will require many references & checks.
You still a part time bricky? 

I am actually.

When I was going for a graduate job though I never once got asked for a reference though which I found strange.

When I went to check my e-mails - this one came in from LinkedIn.

A common problem that job seekers struggle with is explaining the employment gaps on their resume to an interviewer. Here's how you can justify those gaps without losing any brownie points.

We all need a break from work but sometimes those breaks turn out to be longer than usual. These long breaks, commonly referred to as employment gaps, refer to those periods of time during which an individual was not employed. Whether it was to follow our dreams / passions, look after a loved one, recuperate after an illness, or rejuvenate, employment gaps are a tricky thing to explain. It is difficult to hide on resumes and is often one of the first few things that a candidate is asked about. 

Often, candidates are unable to clearly communicate the reasons behind those gaps in their employment. In these cases, the recruiter / hiring manager is left with an inaccurate and unfavourable impression of the candidate. With some preparation and these tips, you will be able to give those gaps a positive spin and bridge the gap between you and the recruiter / hiring manager.

Some Common Reasons for Gaps in Employment History

- Parenting leave: An extended maternity / paternity leave in order to take care of young children at home

- Looking after a loved one: Long-term leave to look after a loved one suffering from some injury / illness 

- Following dreams / passion: A sabbatical to pursue goals and dreams that one feels passionate about. E.g. traveling around the world, volunteering stint

- Setting up one's own business: An entrepreneurial venture 

- Recuperating for health reasons: Extended medical leave to recuperate / rejuvenate after stress/injury/ill health

- Termination of Employment: A long period of unemployment after the loss of a job 

How to Deal with an Employment Gap on your Resume

1. Don't bring unnecessary attention to it 

If your employment gap is for only a few months, try to avoid bringing attention to it by mentioning only the year of employment. For e.g. if you worked at Company ABC from May 2011 - December 2012, traveled across Asia from January 2013 - Jun 2013 and then worked for Company XYZ from July 2013 - April 2017, limit yourself to only listing the year like below:

2011 - 2012 | ABC | Assistant Marketing Manager

2013 - 2017 | XYZ |Head Marketing Manager

2017 - Present | Current Organization | Regional Marketing Manager

If the gap was for more than a year, the above method would not work. Therefore, the recruiter / hiring manager has a very good chance of noticing the gap. However, we recommend that you should not try to explain the gap in your cover letter. It's best to do it over the phone or face-to-face so that you have the opportunity to immediately address any concerns.

2. Don't Lie

In your attempt to avoid bringing attention to it, you should not make up false details or lie on your resume. Employers can verify your employment details easily and if you're caught in a lie, you could lose your job offer. 

3. Prepare for Questions 

Any recruiter worth his / her salt will not miss out on a gap in your employment history, especially if it was for more than a year. Therefore, you should be prepared to answer any questions they may have. You should list down how your time away from a full-time job has helped your grow in other ways. 

Tips on Dealing with Questions in the Interview

Whether it's an interview or an interview screening call, it's important that you prepare to answer questions regarding your employment gap. Here are some tips to help you get started

1. Make a list of the experience / skills / knowledge you picked up during your gap

2. Give your gap a 'positive spin'. Try to find some value in it, regardless of how negative or positive the experience was. 

3. Don't get defensive. If a recruiter / hiring manager questions your decision, don't get angry. Remain composed and explain your reasons for it.

4. Avoid being apologetic. Don't say sorry for taking time off from work. You should be confident and comfortable with your decision. 

5. Emphasize on your renewed focus. Convey to the recruiter / hiring manager that the gap has helped you to put things in perspective and that it has helped cement your love for the job / role. 

Acknowledging Corporate Reality

Working mothers who take an extended maternity leave to help raise their children often find it difficult to rejoin the workforce once they feel comfortable enough to start looking for work. Don't apologize for prioritizing other things over work. Stay calm and confident and you're guaranteed to win over the recruiter.

@Fullerene You missed out on reason for gap in employment.

Prison.

As in this case, she has obviously assault of her spouse  as he "never shut up about that  day out in Dundee". "I went shopping" "he came back a different man".

Second instance was "We were top o the League". "Aye, that why you spent every last penny and the house on a party"

We have 2 witnesses 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS8JEqVDvD6gGEQdwFofGm

Sorry 2nd Witness does not want to be appear.

Mr & Mr @LincolnHearts yesterday when she was turned down. Again

15g5pc6.jpg

Suggestions for filling gaps in your CV

Fast asleep

After attending a party where I probably had too many glasses of wine, I fell fast asleep and woke up nine months later.  Although I have no recollection of this, I am now feel wide-awake and fresh as a daisy, ready to do a hard day’s work.

Convicted of a crime I did not commit

As the result of a clerical error in police criminal records, I was imprisoned for murdering a spouse I haven’t got.  After a lengthy appeal I was finally released.  While still somewhat bitter about my incarceration, I am now more than ever aware of the importance of keeping information accurate and up to date and the need to locate that information quickly and easily.

Comatose

After eating a large bowl of goulash, I discovered that I was extremely allergic to paprika by falling into a deep coma.  Although normally detrimental to anyone’s health, the doctors used revolutionary techniques of resuscitation that also activated parts of my brain that are normally dormant in most humans.  While my extra-sensory perception and telekinetic skills are still rudimentary, I still feel I am more capable than most in the more mundane tasks that one encounters in an office environment.

Abducted by aliens

While acknowledging that it is highly unusual for this to happen to a non-American, suggesting poor navigational skills on the part of my abductors, I was taken to a planet orbiting Tau Ceti Three, a small yellow dwarf star approximately fifteen light years from Earth.  There I was enlightened on Life, the Universe and the role of Planet Earth in the grand scheme of things.  Consequently I find mere terrestrial matters such as secretarial and administrative duties to be relatively more straightforward than I had previously believed.  Furthermore, as anyone familiar with Einstein’s theory of relativity will know, my sustained periods of travelling at faster than the speed of light mean than I am actually younger and fresher than my years would suggest.

Temporary insanity

For a brief spell I just lost it totally.  I was taken away, placed in a straightjacket and thrown into a padded cell.  Now that I am over that, I am now very CALM and collected and able to COPE with the modern STRESSES AND STRAINS of a typical office environment.  Furthermore, I feel that my condition, although temporary, means I have a greater understanding and sympathy for colleagues with a similar but more enduring condition.

Secret Mission

I was recruited by government agents to deal with a matter of grave nation importance.  That I am not willing to discuss this sensitive issue at all should be proof that I can be trusted with confidential information.

Archived