Dumbarton v Livi

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says a lot that I’m pretty gutted we didn’t add to our three in the second half... Having seen the highlights, the first has to go down as an error on the goalkeeper’s part; second is an outstanding finish from Hardie and the third is all down to great awareness from De Vita. A very pleasing display given Halkett and Lithgow were both out and we changed the formation, hopefully we can get a positive result on Tuesday and keep this run ticking over.

I really feel for Dumbarton, seem like a great bunch of fans on here, and it’s always galling in cases when the players have downed tools to a degree. Never looked like causing us any bother today - can only wish you luck in the play-offs, but from our own bitter experience a couple of seasons ago, it’s a horrible watch.

That's a bad miss from Mullin, even with the ridiculous backspin. Hope he can get back to his early season form before the playoffs as he is lethal at his best. 

Outrageous finishes from De Vita and particularly  Hardie. If we somehow do go up, I would be chucking money to make sure we keep him (provided Rangers let him go). Best striker we have had in a long time and we have had some seriously good ones. 

Just a wee heads up to our fans who were blaming the linesman for both goals (at the ground, not on here to be fair). He’s got them spot on - as I said at the time.

IMG_0597.thumb.jpg.3608dc856fcde5ca70abff13f1e2c10a.jpg

IMG_0598.thumb.jpg.9dfb8e00ae4fa298b347f388c9e83a65.jpg

Hardie’s goal is absolutely beautiful. A moment of genius. Can’t imagine what Match of the Day would be like if someone like Dele Alli scored that. The run, the vision, the execution, the sheer audacity to even try it.

Less said about our defending the better, so I’ll just focus on the quality of Livi’s goals. Albeit the third really shows how weak Dick’s awareness is. He doesn’t seem to have a clue that De Vita is behind him.

Onwards Livi - surely we are in the playoffs now? 

cant help but think the Sons need some freshness as they were flat as a pancake. Even there dugout was slumped in there seats during point yesterday. I see Russell wasn't even stripped and is Nade still siged fir them. 

4 minutes ago, Livi said:

Onwards Livi - surely we are in the playoffs now? 

cant help but think the Sons need some freshness as they were flat as a pancake. Even there dugout was slumped in there seats during point yesterday. I see Russell wasn't even stripped and is Nade still siged fir them. 

Beany's injured at the moment and Nade, well, I'll just post this and let you work it out.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/ex-hearts-striker-accused-of-ex-girlfriend-assault-and-baby-kidnap-threat-1-4705845

Aye brilliant timing by Hardie for his goal, and good call by the lino, esp for Rafa's goal, those are the ones we've been getting chopped off recently by halfwit Lino's, so good to see there are also decent officials going about too.

I had 4-0 in my prediction on the Livi forum, reckon Josh Mullin conspired to feck it up with that miss. :lol:

4 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Aye. It really hasn't worked bringing him out of retirement.

Russell was a brilliant player for us but when he came up against us for Airdrie last season he was completely done, couldn’t believe he got a deal with Dumbarton.

15 minutes ago, andylivi1 said:

Russell was a brilliant player for us but when he came up against us for Airdrie last season he was completely done, couldn’t believe he got a deal with Dumbarton.

You always hope that players can still turn it on in flashes. Beany's fitness hasn't been an issue since he signed for us and he's generally managed a decent level of participation. He's still got the positional smarts too. It's just that it isnt really coming together for him. Maybe he needs a big target man to play off where we'll get the most of his movement and anticipation. We don't have that. Maybe he needs a few games wide where he can run at full backs, use his game intelligence to win free kicks and give us chances in and around the box.

Whats clear is that he's no lone striker. He probably never really was, but with the style of football we play right now (and style is an unfortunate term to use) it just isnt working at all.

1 hour ago, andylivi1 said:

To be fair, he managed to score 18 for Airdrie last season which wasn't the worst return. What that probably tells us is that there is a big difference between league 1 and championship level football.

In a team like ours, who create little to no chances week in week out, he won't do too much and especially so if we continue to play him as a lone striker.

3 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

To be fair, he managed to score 18 for Airdrie last season which wasn't the worst return. What that probably tells us is that there is a big difference between league 1 and championship level football.

In a team like ours, who create little to no chances week in week out, he won't do too much and especially so if we continue to play him as a lone striker.

He was on all their penalties though and if you know Russell well enough you'll know that he's good enough for at least 6 penalties a season outwith other players

To be fair Ian Russell is only six months older than Lee Miller; that being said Ian's game used to rely a lot on his speed on the wings whereas Lee has height and physique which isn't so impacted by age.

Genuinely nice lad but no-one can go on forever.

16 hours ago, Durnford said:

To be fair Ian Russell is only six months older than Lee Miller; that being said Ian's game used to rely a lot on his speed on the wings whereas Lee has height and physique which isn't so impacted by age.

Genuinely nice lad but no-one can go on forever.

Tell that to Neil Alexander, must feel like a pensioner in our dressing room..:lol:

21 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Tell that to Neil Alexander, must feel like a pensioner in our dressing room..:lol:

Seem to recall both Peter Shilton and Pat Jenning continued playing at international level well into their 40's but goalkeepers are different obviously.

1 hour ago, Durnford said:

Seem to recall both Peter Shilton and Pat Jenning continued playing at international level well into their 40's but goalkeepers are different obviously.

Aye, I suppose Craig Brewster is an exception for an outfield player right enough, he was 39/ 40 ish when he was still banging in goals for Dunfermline and then ICT and last kicked a ball for Ross County at the geriatric footballing age of 44.  

Archived