Dumbarton v Livi

When I saw Hardie look up for the second goal I was actually willing him to hit it because it meant money for me. I felt we had no chance when the team was announced and that will likely continue until next season. We have no consistency anywhere on the park except for Dowie and he was missing today. Let it be May and lets start over again, wherever that may be. This isn't fun.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brace yourself. Ramble approaching. 

That was absolutely miserable. I had the fear when I saw the lineup, I had the fear when I saw how uncomfortable we looked from the first whistle, and it was almost a relief to see Livi only score three come full-time.

Right now we look like a team devoid of any ideas, any confidence and, to be brutally honest, lacking team spirit. Time and again today players seemed to get on each other's backs - something we've rarely seen under Stevie Aitken. Purely as an outsider looking in I get the feeling that morale is really low.

I've torn into Stevie when I felt it was right, and I've defended him quite a bit this season, but he has to shoulder some of the blame - and he has to let the players know that they need to seriously up things too.

As I said to BBPF earlier in the thread we're totally predictable.  We play dreadful football, we create very few openings and, today at least, we're all over the shop defensively. That first-half performance was right up there with Bonnyrigg in terms of its hopelessness. The Livi fans must've been having a whale of a time, because that was like clubs from very different divisions facing each other.

Stevie needs to change it and, I'm afraid, the usual 'boys gave me everything' 'been a tough week' 'can't expect us to compete with clubs at the top end of this division', chat simply won't cut it. He's spoken a few times about our aim being to finish as the best part-time team, and that's fine, but it's also defeatist. Did he say that to guys like Andy Dowie and Tom Walsh when he signed them in June? I very strongly doubt it.

Aim high and be brave. It might not work, we might've finished ninth anyway, but heck, we might've actually played some respectable football every now and then. I could count on one hand the number of games where we've played genuinely enjoyable football to watch - and I could also count on one hand games we absolutely deserved to win (ICT, St Mirren, Brechin H 1-0/A 1-3). The others were tighter, and arguably could easily have gone the other way.

Today was garbage. St Mirren in midweek was garbage. ICT was ok, but we definitely didn't do anywhere near enough going forward to deserve a win, and the Brechin games have to be discounted given how poor they've been. Maybe I'm being unfair, maybe they highlight how good a job Stevie's doing, but realistically we have to be winning more than two (2!) out of the 25 games we've played against the other eight sides in the division. By the time we face United it will have been 98 days since our last league goal against a FT team.

Both our full-backs were miles off it. Aidan Wilson seems highly rated by the Rangers fans, but I'm really struggling to see it. He's not particularly solid defensively, he's prone to silly challenges (three games, four bookings) he doesn't look comfortable going forward and he isn't great in possession. He's a young guy, in a poor team, in his defence. But I don't get it.

Liam Dick has been brutal. His positioning is seriously suspect, time and again Livi players strolled into the big Dick (lolz, I did that deliberately) shaped gap in our defence. That's before you get started on his distribution, which makes James Creaney look like Franco Baresi. If Boomer isn't injured and Stevie's picking Dick over him then questions have to be asked.

Mango was absolutely all over the shop today. Got booked, should've conceded a penalty (well, certainly from the other end) and only escaped a second booking because Barry Cook seemingly couldn't tell the difference between him and Dougie Hill. 

Hill was alright. He's backup, and would probably be better suited to L1, but he at least took the ball and put himself about a bit. 

Hutton and Carsy works sometimes, doesn't others. Today it didn't. Hutton had another off-day, though he was still alright, Carsy ran himself into the ground without actually doing very much. We seem to be seeing him more and more often in the final third of the pitch - and that really highlights our issues. He's a defensive mid. He should only venture beyond the centre-circle on special occasions (ideally birthdays, Christmases and Scottish Cup ties against Elgin City).

Andy Stirling did relatively well defensively, but was another who looked directionless going forward. He got the ball, ran a bit, reached the halfway line, had nobody near him, and then lost it.

Froxy tried to force everything - although he almost scored another screamer when he was moved inside.

Tom Walsh has had a funny old season. Looked the business in pre-season, took ages to hit that form in the competitive games, became a match winner (and arguably our best player between November and December) started to contribute less, got injured, and has returned as the guy from the start of the season. There's a really good player in there - but he's not influencing games as much as he should be, albeit (again) perhaps that's down to how static we are when we attempt to go forward.

Calum Gallagher had a pointless shift. We hoofed balls at him which Buchanan and Declan Gallagher easily dealt with, and when he did win a header there was nobody within about 35 yards of him. 

This is all a big ramble, so apologies for that, I'm just fed up with us putting in the same performance near enough every single week. Try something different, Stevie. If we get pumped, we get pumped. It's not going to make a massive difference to where we finish now.

By the way big ups to Livi. I described them today as being 'like us but good'. David Hopkin's built up a squad that (I hope this doesn't sound patronising) few would've considered playoff material, never mind second place material, and they play some great stuff. Aye they're direct, but it works. Miller and Hardie were working as an excellent partnership, and Hardie's goal was a really special finish. That's now eight he has against us (I think), for Rangers, Raith, St Mirren, Raith (again), Rangers U20s and Livi.

Defensively they looked solid (even without Halkett and Lithgow), Byrne won near enough every 50/50 in midfield and there just seems to be a smashing spirit about the team. Players playing for each other. Be nice to see you guys do something in the playoffs - just for the seethe it would create having Livi and their core support of 800 odd in the Premiership!

We have a team of guys who aren't willing to take responsibility. When we start losing goals I've been used to watching Dumbarton dust themselves down and start again as if it were 0-0 in this league. I don't think this group of players have that in them. At 1-0 today you had Gall shouting at his defence, the defence shouting at midfield, the midfield shouting at the defence and about 500 home fans saying "here we go again". We have some technically good players, but no fighters. Carswell, Dowie and Barr pass on good days, as do our full backs when fit, but aside from that? We have no guts. I realise this post is a pile of cliche ridden pish but it's the reality of us right now.

1 hour ago, cedrick1 said:

Radio is wrong Walsh had free kick and Hutton clean through so that is 2 in second half

1 hour ago, Silverton End said:

Well that makes things better

Correct - 1 effort on goal for every 30 minutes of play is perfectly acceptable*

*if you're Stevie Aitken

Some strong words by Stevie here, which makes a nice change. Sure it's a risk, but the carrot approach obviously wasn't working. A few weird comments thrown in too.

“We looked like a team struggling for confidence, when two weeks ago we would have taken on the world.

:lol: We beat Brechin

“I’m very surprised we produced a performance like that as over the season I think there have only been about three games in 40 where we haven’t turned up.

Must be the only one...

Totally dominated that game today. Started the game very well and should have scored before we did. Happy for miller getting another goal and Hardie’s finish was excellent and rafa is hitting good form just now. Our defence were solid again. Mcmillan done well today , Dec and Gregor very strong. Jacko one of his best performances this season. Cadden was good at parts but final ball let him down at times. Pittman and Byrne totally dominated the game. They are a joy to watch the way they play the game. Both have been outstanding for us and hope to get them signed up ASAP. Lee and Hardie have been a great partnership made a huge difference. Good win , will be a tough game Tuesday 

18 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Some strong words by Stevie here, which makes a nice change. Sure it's a risk, but the carrot approach obviously wasn't working. A few weird comments thrown in too.

Must be the only one...

These players needed these words long before now (although John Hughes told a few of them the same last year without success). To me some players who Stevie has praised to the hilt have turned in mediocore performances for the majority of the season and have had very little repurcussion. If the players throw the towel in now after the gaffer has put the boot in (a gaffer who clearly likes them and has protected them) then I'll accept League 1 with a clean slate i.e. a squad of no signed players in the summer.

This is all of course on the assumption that Brabco haven't liquidated us or sold our ground for houses by then. Fitba's great...

27 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Must be the only one...

He's delusional.

Give the job to Durrant now :o

It's actually quite refreshing to see Aitken get torn into that team of absolute pretenders. The nice guy approach doesn't work tend to work when you are managing a mob of shitebags who aren't willing to take responsibility.

They all need a boot right up their farters. Moping around because we got beat in a final is absolutely pathetic in the midst of a relegation battle.

Livy were decent today. Thats the first I've noticed Byrne and he struck me as being solid. The hardie and miller combo worked well and I was surprised that Hardie mixed it on occasion with Barr. I never imagined he'd try and scrap with him quite so much.

I dont see the problem with Dick yet, there's certainly others who were and have been poorer.

Brace yourself. Ramble approaching. 
That was absolutely miserable. I had the fear when I saw the lineup, I had the fear when I saw how uncomfortable we looked from the first whistle, and it was almost a relief to see Livi only score three come full-time.
Right now we look like a team devoid of any ideas, any confidence and, to be brutally honest, lacking team spirit. Time and again today players seemed to get on each other's backs - something we've rarely seen under Stevie Aitken. Purely as an outsider looking in I get the feeling that morale is really low.
I've torn into Stevie when I felt it was right, and I've defended him quite a bit this season, but he has to shoulder some of the blame - and he has to let the players know that they need to seriously up things too.
As I said to BBPF earlier in the thread we're totally predictable.  We play dreadful football, we create very few openings and, today at least, we're all over the shop defensively. That first-half performance was right up there with Bonnyrigg in terms of its hopelessness. The Livi fans must've been having a whale of a time, because that was like clubs from very different divisions facing each other.
Stevie needs to change it and, I'm afraid, the usual 'boys gave me everything' 'been a tough week' 'can't expect us to compete with clubs at the top end of this division', chat simply won't cut it. He's spoken a few times about our aim being to finish as the best part-time team, and that's fine, but it's also defeatist. Did he say that to guys like Andy Dowie and Tom Walsh when he signed them in June? I very strongly doubt it.
Aim high and be brave. It might not work, we might've finished ninth anyway, but heck, we might've actually played some respectable football every now and then. I could count on one hand the number of games where we've played genuinely enjoyable football to watch - and I could also count on one hand games we absolutely deserved to win (ICT, St Mirren, Brechin H 1-0/A 1-3). The others were tighter, and arguably could easily have gone the other way.
Today was garbage. St Mirren in midweek was garbage. ICT was ok, but we definitely didn't do anywhere near enough going forward to deserve a win, and the Brechin games have to be discounted given how poor they've been. Maybe I'm being unfair, maybe they highlight how good a job Stevie's doing, but realistically we have to be winning more than two (2!) out of the 25 games we've played against the other eight sides in the division. By the time we face United it will have been 98 days since our last league goal against a FT team.
Both our full-backs were miles off it. Aidan Wilson seems highly rated by the Rangers fans, but I'm really struggling to see it. He's not particularly solid defensively, he's prone to silly challenges (three games, four bookings) he doesn't look comfortable going forward and he isn't great in possession. He's a young guy, in a poor team, in his defence. But I don't get it.
Liam Dick has been brutal. His positioning is seriously suspect, time and again Livi players strolled into the big Dick (lolz, I did that deliberately) shaped gap in our defence. That's before you get started on his distribution, which makes James Creaney look like Franco Baresi. If Boomer isn't injured and Stevie's picking Dick over him then questions have to be asked.
Mango was absolutely all over the shop today. Got booked, should've conceded a penalty (well, certainly from the other end) and only escaped a second booking because Barry Cook seemingly couldn't tell the difference between him and Dougie Hill. 
Hill was alright. He's backup, and would probably be better suited to L1, but he at least took the ball and put himself about a bit. 
Hutton and Carsy works sometimes, doesn't others. Today it didn't. Hutton had another off-day, though he was still alright, Carsy ran himself into the ground without actually doing very much. We seem to be seeing him more and more often in the final third of the pitch - and that really highlights our issues. He's a defensive mid. He should only venture beyond the centre-circle on special occasions (ideally birthdays, Christmases and Scottish Cup ties against Elgin City).
Andy Stirling did relatively well defensively, but was another who looked directionless going forward. He got the ball, ran a bit, reached the halfway line, had nobody near him, and then lost it.
Froxy tried to force everything - although he almost scored another screamer when he was moved inside.
Tom Walsh has had a funny old season. Looked the business in pre-season, took ages to hit that form in the competitive games, became a match winner (and arguably our best player between November and December) started to contribute less, got injured, and has returned as the guy from the start of the season. There's a really good player in there - but he's not influencing games as much as he should be, albeit (again) perhaps that's down to how static we are when we attempt to go forward.
Calum Gallagher had a pointless shift. We hoofed balls at him which Buchanan and Declan Gallagher easily dealt with, and when he did win a header there was nobody within about 35 yards of him. 
This is all a big ramble, so apologies for that, I'm just fed up with us putting in the same performance near enough every single week. Try something different, Stevie. If we get pumped, we get pumped. It's not going to make a massive difference to where we finish now.
By the way big ups to Livi. I described them today as being 'like us but good'. David Hopkin's built up a squad that (I hope this doesn't sound patronising) few would've considered playoff material, never mind second place material, and they play some great stuff. Aye they're direct, but it works. Miller and Hardie were working as an excellent partnership, and Hardie's goal was a really special finish. That's now eight he has against us (I think), for Rangers, Raith, St Mirren, Raith (again), Rangers U20s and Livi.
Defensively they looked solid (even without Halkett and Lithgow), Byrne won near enough every 50/50 in midfield and there just seems to be a smashing spirit about the team. Players playing for each other. Be nice to see you guys do something in the playoffs - just for the seethe it would create having Livi and their core support of 800 odd in the Premiership!
First-class post So8....the only thing (for now) I would add is that with the exception of Wardrop this season's loan deals have bombed horribly. If Morrison, Roy and Nisbet represent the Premier Division's idea of young striking talent then Scottish football truly is in a state.

Just now, O'Kelly Isley III said:

First-class post So8....the only thing (for now) I would add is that with the exception of Wardrop this season's loan deals have bombed horribly. If Morrison, Roy and Nisbet represent the Premier Division's idea of young striking talent then Scottish football truly is in a state.

I didn't want to steal your chat from Tuesday night ;)

My goodness how lightweight were we today .

and for sons  fans to turn on the ref at the sending off was bizarre. What a crazy challenge on a booking from Wilson and agree with previous post. Mango lucky to last the 90

today at half time Stevie Aitken s head was very low as he walked off the park . He has a job to get those heads lifted for the play offs 

What’s the position with loanees in play offs 

I dont see the problem with Dick yet, there's certainly others who were and have been poorer.

I honestly think he's absolutely shite. He's by no means the reason we are losing every single game but he's reaching James Creaney levels of attrocious. Positionally awful, nervous on the ball and constantly lumping it up the park to no one. I wouldn't even retain him for League 1 should we end up there.

The sooner McLaughlin is able to play the 90 in every single game the better.

37 minutes ago, sonsanorak said:

There was a point in the first half he wandered out to mark the winger right on the touchline, leaving a huge gap which two Livi players filled and received the ball in. He's positionally poor and his distribution, poorer. 

That was like a training exercise for livi today,no disrespect intended towards Dumbarton.

We were miles ahead of them in every thing we did,it was 3 nil going on 4 or 5.

We absolutely strolled thru the whole match and rarely looked troubled.

Always enjoy my trips to the "rock",cracking wee bowling club just behind the ground,the ground itself is in a cracking setting and Dumbarton's supporters are some of the best i hav come across in this league.

We may be at opposite ends of the table and both looking at the play-offs at opposite ends but i genuinely wish the sons all the best and would love to be facing you guys again next season :)

Embarrassing performance.

In many ways our forward players have been embarrassing for weeks but today the defence decided to join them. The manner in which we chucked the 3rd goal especially was scandalous.

I had considered a run-up to Tannadice on Tuesday but if the players aren't bothered then neither will I. Champions League it is.

Archived