The Sneck Shenanigans vs The Buddie Bandwagon

I hold no truck with starting the game thread again, after all I would like to think that my creation of the Dumbarton game thread led to our glorious 5-0 drubbing of them. A little at least, I don't want to take all the credit.

Any St Mirren fan of a certain vintage will generally get a cold shiver down their spine when you mention a trip up to the Highland capital, and it's not in remembrance of the bitter wind that can cut through the stadium. To say we have a fairly poor record up there is an understatement. "Yes, but Monk," you say, "we beat them up there just back in November". And you'd be right to point that out, but our previous victory up North came on boxing day.... just over 7 years ago! Sure, we've not always been in the same league, but for many a season it was entirely customary to go up there, and either take a 1 goal loss or maybe sneak a draw - winning wasn't on the cards, and for certain managers who will remain nameless it was considerably more than a 1 goal loss.

So.. a home win then? Well let's not be too hasty, we have beaten them 3 times so far (insert the old joke of one more and we get to keep them), including that victory up there in November. We are clearly flying high, and while Inverness are slowly turning the corner they looked utterly awful in the cup final and by all reports in most league game absolutely no cutting edge up front.

The flip side to this is that they did win the Challenge Cup (although I feel win is being a bit generous, more a case of tried worse than Dumbarton to lose it), they also hilariously dealt with United the other night, so we have to be a little careful.

That said, I would be expecting a win, but wouldn't be disappointed at all with a draw. Again like the Dumbarton game, and I'll mention it for completeness, even if we lost it would make no difference to the title race. Again though, as with our previous meetings this season I do think we'll win.

I wonder what wee robbo's post match comments will be like? A claim that despite contrary evidence Inverness were the better side? Perhaps he'll claim that they won on corners - I believe that's a bit of a classic. Maybe he'll just congratulate a team clearly on the way to officially being crowned league champions?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is tiredness likely to affect Caley Thistle much? A cup final followed by a game against United (although these days that's a walk in the park) could have taken a lot out of them. We had the bonus of not having a game on Saturday and then as easy a midweek game as you could have hoped for, which even allowed us to rest a few players for the latter stages.

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

A cup final followed by a game against United (although these days that's a walk in the park)

These days, teams are actually emerging from games against United feeling more refreshed than when they started.

Our tails are up the players shelves are ready for a champions medal our players have a spring in their feet a drive to get over the line the train is unstoppable can't see anything but a win for St Mirren 1877. The title will be won at Dundee United away. Need to make sure I can make that trip. 

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Is tiredness likely to affect Caley Thistle much?

Yes. We swapped about 4 maybe 5 players around last night so it wouldn't surprise me to see more changes to keep things relatively fresh or as fresh as they can be. Even so, a fair few players looked like they were blowing out of their arse at the end of the game.

Don't expect anything from this one TBH. I'd be quite happy losing here if we ended up with more important results against the likes of Queens and Falkirk in the coming weeks.

With that in mind I'll go for ICT 4 - 2 Saint Mirren and Samson to get sent off for channelling his inner Dhalsim to punch Vigurs again after he misses another penalty.

9 minutes ago, paisleysaints said:

Can't see Livi dropping points this weekend away to sons,  i think after the weekend and the doing they took yesterday it could be another defeat

Indeed Livingston won't lose at the Rock, but they are certainly capable of dropping points either to Dunfermline or Morton in the two games afterwards.

Saints are galloping over the line and are playing with a bit of swagger now, which is understandable given there is now no credible challenger.

I expect ICT will give us a tough game, but I really can't see anything other than another Saints win.

We're unstoppable.

17 minutes ago, sophia said:

If John Mckendrick is representing St Mirren again, that may very well tip the balance, just as it did last time around

Let's hope so. Decent refereeing performance that day. 

Archived