May and June face Peru & Mexico

5 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

You need to pick your battles. Friendlies in June against Mexico and Peru aren't hills to die on. 

No but they're a good opportunity to show we won't be pissed about early in the process. 

Andbear in mind it's pretty much guaranteed he'll be'injured' for the Belgium game too given it comes right at the start of their cl or el campaign.

So if he doesn't play in any of these that's five in a row and great chances to give him a few games lcb and with McKenna and hendry gone and we're going into competitive games with what is emerging as çlearly our first choice back three as having still never played together or at most once in the other friendly.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just out of interest, what exactly is in it for Celtic to respond positively to being hard-balled?  Like what's stopping them from turning around, asking who they think they are, and just doing what they like?  Genuine question. 

8 minutes ago, forameus said:

Just out of interest, what exactly is in it for Celtic to respond positively to being hard-balled?  Like what's stopping them from turning around, asking who they think they are, and just doing what they like?  Genuine question. 

Their player gets lots of experience which makes him a better player and if he's Scotland captain with 40 caps when they sell him he's worth five million more than not captain with twenty.

Also if Scotland do it the way I explained there's not that much Celtic can do about it anyway.

Just now, gannonball said:

Modz he is grooming me, please ban him.

Lol

Bet on it.  He's already basically missed the first four, it's a given he's going to be withdrawn in the summer so that's four out of five, and the Belgium one is in September right at the start of European campaigns, so what's the chances he's 'injured' then too?

16 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Their player gets lots of experience which makes him a better player and if he's Scotland captain with 40 caps when they sell him he's worth five million more than not captain with twenty.

Also if Scotland do it the way I explained there's not that much Celtic can do about it anyway.

As I've already said previously, I'm not convinced that a few international games every year really makes a huge amount of difference, particularly when the quality of said experience is completely out of their control.  Also not convinced of the numbers you've pulled out of your arse either.  

Still maintain that pissing off the largest source of your players isn't a very sensible way to go about things, whether it's remotely plausible or not.  Which it isn't.  International football just doesn't matter as much as it once did, they've dropped all the cards they once held.  

And if we're going down flights of fancy, I dare say there's plenty Celtic could do if they really wanted to stop a player from getting called up.  Nothing they'd likely think of or particularly want to do, but they could.

11 minutes ago, forameus said:

As I've already said previously, I'm not convinced that a few international games every year really makes a huge amount of difference, particularly when the quality of said experience is completely out of their control.  Also not convinced of the numbers you've pulled out of your arse either.  

Still maintain that pissing off the largest source of your players isn't a very sensible way to go about things, whether it's remotely plausible or not.  Which it isn't.  International football just doesn't matter as much as it once did, they've dropped all the cards they once held.  

And if we're going down flights of fancy, I dare say there's plenty Celtic could do if they really wanted to stop a player from getting called up.  Nothing they'd likely think of or particularly want to do, but they could.

Check the numbers they're correct.

Give examples of what they could do.

As for your opinion of the value of intl football irrelevant and imo completely incorrect.  If you don't think games against Belgium, Peru and Mexico are of enormously greater value than games against Motherwell Hamilton Ross county and st Johnstone you need a new sport.

It's also beneficial to play these games, think about it you're playing fucking Peru and Mexico away from home different climate style tactics surface atmosphere really good quality sides with lots of experience, you'd learn as much in an hour of a friendly like that as you would in twenty games against Motherwell.

Chance to play in the Azteca stadium is probably a once in a lifetime chance. We are looking at it as if the players absolutely won’t be wanting to go. 2 weeks in central and South America playing in front of a big crowd before the World Cup in great stadiums might be a big motivator for some

42 minutes ago, skippy2015 said:

Chance to play in the Azteca stadium is probably a once in a lifetime chance. We are looking at it as if the players absolutely won’t be wanting to go. 2 weeks in central and South America playing in front of a big crowd before the World Cup in great stadiums might be a big motivator for some

Exactly, and absolutely tremendous experience.  Playing at altitude too, learning to be more circumspect and intelligent with your movement and use of the ball. 

I think someone like Tierney has the chance to become a genuinely top drawer player, world class and play for someone like juventus for ten years.  But to become the best player he can be he needs to get the largest breadth and depth of experience possible.  These two games are worth a whole season of playing Hamilton.

1 hour ago, skippy2015 said:

Obviously on a different level to the players but the chance to view a game in the Azteca is one of the major reasons I’ve just shelled out 850 banger for flights to Mexico (god it better be at the Azteca!?)

If I was a player, I’d be champing at the bit to go across the world and play football. It’s a short career, rest when you’re retired. Not sure I fully understand why players wouldn’t see this as a great opportunity. First world problems and all that. 

Guest DAVIDB69

The old mysterious injuries withdrawal has been going on for decades , the old firm are usually the biggest culprits, even the likes of McTominay will be perfectly fine for the weekend .

Harry Kane amazingly his injury isn’t so bad now the international friendlies are done . So there are plenty at this .

It’s not Scotland’s fault that the coefficient is bad and loads of club qualifiers are needed.

I assume the Celtic players won’t be burnt out for the pointless jaunts to the Ireland and the USA between the qualifiers

10 hours ago, Londonwell said:

Obviously on a different level to the players but the chance to view a game in the Azteca is one of the major reasons I’ve just shelled out 850 banger for flights to Mexico (god it better be at the Azteca!?)

If I was a player, I’d be champing at the bit to go across the world and play football. It’s a short career, rest when you’re retired. Not sure I fully understand why players wouldn’t see this as a great opportunity. First world problems and all that. 

I'd imagine the players would think like that, but the clubs wouldn't.  If their club make it clear that they don't agree with them travelling, I imagine a few would change their mind.  Unfortunate, as representing your country should be the pinnacle.  Used to be.

Exactly, and absolutely tremendous experience.  Playing at altitude too, learning to be more circumspect and intelligent with your movement and use of the ball. 
I think someone like Tierney has the chance to become a genuinely top drawer player, world class and play for someone like juventus for ten years.  But to become the best player he can be he needs to get the largest breadth and depth of experience possible.  These two games are worth a whole season of playing Hamilton.

Just realised the stadium is 7,200 ft above sea level that’s crazy and makes me worry about the result here. Patterson was gasping for breath at hampden against Costa Rica !!!

Agree with a lot of what you say, but, you are wrong here. I doubt Faddy, Grant and Eck are the sort of coaches to be developing and improving players; never mind altitude training.

2 hours ago, Chimter-boys said:

Agree with a lot of what you say, but, you are wrong here. I doubt Faddy, Grant and Eck are the sort of coaches to be developing and improving players; never mind altitude training.

That would be true except I never mentioned coaching at all.  I'm talking about the games themselves.  Though I do agree there's nothing resembling a coach between them.

Archived