Peterhead Vs Clyde

"A plausibility" ? Praise indeed, so you got my cheque then :lol:

You're correct, I don't get along as much as I'd like but can only go by what I see. It's not hard to tell when a team look jaded or whatever, just didn't come across that way

Neither do I recognise "didn't get a kick". We had some decent possession, but maybe sometimes the decision making reflected a lack of experience that'll come with time.  I can't think of a player I'd say had a " bad" game or looked off the pace, I just felt as a unit Peterhead had that little bit more savvy helped a little by our playing into their strengths. 3-0 was a bit harsh, but it doesn't matter.  It's difficult to give the league 4 or 5 months of a start then try and get promotion, but as everyone accepts, they've done very well since the turn of the year. 

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest TOPFITTER

Not long in after an Easter week-end family visit (9 of us) to Peterhead FC and Aberdeenshire.

No failures this week in Blue shirts, a driven, competent and professional performance. Always fancy the Blue Toon to win if the defence  DEFENDS and a clean sheet gave the foundation to press for goals. Peterhead made light of Clyde's recent best in league form and by snuffing out D Gw there didn't seem much left to threaten. Clyde to their credit didn't park the bus but tried to win the game and this maybe helped the Blues to counter.

Well onto Berwick now, more of the same please, hope football is the winner in that game, but Berwick are playing so that's unlikely.

14,300 and counting ;)

3 hours ago, TOPFITTER said:

Not long in after an Easter week-end family visit (9 of us) to Peterhead FC and Aberdeenshire.

No failures this week in Blue shirts, a driven, competent and professional performance. Always fancy the Blue Toon to win if the defence  DEFENDS and a clean sheet gave the foundation to press for goals. Peterhead made light of Clyde's recent best in league form and by snuffing out D Gw there didn't seem much left to threaten. Clyde to their credit didn't park the bus but tried to win the game and this maybe helped the Blues to counter.

Well onto Berwick now, more of the same please, hope football is the winner in that game, but Berwick are playing so that's unlikely.

14,300 and counting ;)

Were you there with your grandson and under instruction to move your car at the end of the game?  If so it was nice chatting to you in the car park!

11 hours ago, BrigtonClyde said:

Was there yesterday and in the main that sums it up.  I don't agree that Clyde looked tired or didn't turn up, it was more down to the difference between the two sides.

The way to go at Peterhead is down the wings where they're weakest.  They're a big strong physical side down the middle who do also play some neat stuff, keeping it simple.  They have some young players but mainly made up of street wise, experienced guys who know how to win games at this kind of level.  We've talented young lads in  midfield but maybe sometimes tried one or two too many passes down the middle, and they're greater strength meant they won the majority of tackles or second balls.  I don't agree we didn't try to close them down, there was just a clear physical difference.  In the first half when we did work the ball out wide we caused them problems and probably should have scored one or two, but really it was a case we needed to get the ball out wide quicker.  We kind of played into their hands a wee bit, but that's just that little bit extra experience needed.

The more that happened the more Peterhead started to control the game and the more isolated Goodwillie got.  Thought Lennon tried the right thing at half time, put Love up beside him just to try and occupy their defence more.  Were signs it was working, but the penalty decision killed it.  I personally thought it looked soft, but it doesnt matter.  The two other goals we lost were also soft so we can't complain too much.

Up until the penalty it was a pretty tight game.  The young lads have decent ability, a good attitude and if they continue to develop and learn, I would think quite a few of them will be playing at a much higher level in a couple years or so.  In the short term, teams like Peterhead will have that little extra edge over us.  If Lennon is allowed the time and resources, we should end up a fair bit ahead of that next couple of years or so.  Given how diabolical we've been in the past 10 years compared to what we've had in the past 4 months, a little patience wouldn't be a bad thing.

Obviously I was watching through my blue-tinted specs but our keeper only had two saves to make in the whole game and one of those was a weak shot from Goodwillie that was straight at him in the first half.  According to the BBC website (I know), you guys had three shots on target and I really am struggling to think of the third but regardless it wasn't really a tight game and you guys provided very little threat right from the start.

1 hour ago, strichener said:

Obviously I was watching through my blue-tinted specs but our keeper only had two saves to make in the whole game and one of those was a weak shot from Goodwillie that was straight at him in the first half.  According to the BBC website (I know), you guys had three shots on target and I really am struggling to think of the third but regardless it wasn't really a tight game and you guys provided very little threat right from the start.

We had a good wee scramble at a corner kick in the first half when Duffie had a couple of shots blocked. Also a Stewart free kick turned over bar. Might have been one of those. Not that I disagree with your overall point. 

7 hours ago, David W said:

We had a good wee scramble at a corner kick in the first half when Duffie had a couple of shots blocked. Also a Stewart free kick turned over bar. Might have been one of those. Not that I disagree with your overall point. 

Thanks, I remember it now.  It should have been burnt into my mind as it is one of the few times that I have seen multiple Peterhead players throw themselves in the way of the ball.  I am pretty sure the free kick was already out of play before the keeper touched it though.

9 hours ago, strichener said:

It was tight from the point of view that there were few chances for either team and had mainly been a midfield battle.

We tried to play through you down the middle which for reasons already given was rarely successful.  It wasn't until we moved it wide, usually right, that we got a little more joy.  Your own team were neat and tidy in possession but weren't breaking us down either, so had two main tactics, hit it long to the big fella for knock downs or revert to playing it in behind us to turn our defenders which more often than not ended up as a throw in.  

Neither keeper had a lot to do, it wasn't that kind of game.  When it's as tight as that it's down to fine margins.  The penalty decision finished it but we also gifted you two goals which you can't do obviously.  On another day we could have sneaked out of Dodge with a point, but there's no denying Peterhead merited their win.

Guest TOPFITTER
Were you there with your grandson and under instruction to move your car at the end of the game?  If so it was nice chatting to you in the car park!

Parking was at a premium and was back at car early to try not to block anyone in (for too long [emoji2]). What on earth is going on with the car park ? Chocca the last two Saturdays. Nice to talk sir [emoji106] Once again surprised at the lack of vocal backing for the Blue Toon given they are after a title !!!

14 minutes ago, TOPFITTER said:

Parking was at a premium and was back at car early to try not to block anyone in (for too long emoji2.png). What on earth is going on with the car park ? Chocca the last two Saturdays. Nice to talk sir emoji106.png Once again surprised at the lack of vocal backing for the Blue Toon given they are after a title !!!

Aye parking has been odd especially last week. Was asking a few of the folk that I usually stand with if you were on the go as did not see you but later on in the game heard your dulcet tones coming from the far side of the park. Agree its not very often that our support burst into song together.

Guest TOPFITTER
3 hours ago, Clydeontheup said:

Best team won, no complaints but what the f£&k is with the banging on boards . Very annoying 

I have to agree it has annoyed the hell out of me each and every time I have visited Balmoor, it also used to be a kind of locals' thing at Palmerston as well, maybe it's a Blue and White Toon thing but for me it's no worse than having those Bloody Drummers kill any atmosphere that's at a game whilst the Drummer and mates will say it generates an atmosphere (give me strength)! Having said all that I caught myself doing it on Saturday, as well as Goading a certain couple of players who exemplify Clyde's commitment to the community :whistle:oops 

2 hours ago, TOPFITTER said:

I have to agree it has annoyed the hell out of me each and every time I have visited Balmoor, it also used to be a kind of locals' thing at Palmerston as well, maybe it's a Blue and White Toon thing but for me it's no worse than having those Bloody Drummers kill any atmosphere that's at a game whilst the Drummer and mates will say it generates an atmosphere (give me strength)! Having said all that I caught myself doing it on Saturday, as well as Goading a certain couple of players who exemplify Clyde's commitment to the community :whistle:oops 

I still await a response from you to my earlier question.

Is this forum administered by you? Do we have to obtain your permission to post an opinion on a match or is it just the sanctimonious attitude you portray, similar to your “goading” Clyde players from the sidelines. How brave of you. When you returned to the car park did you wait on those players to “goad” them face-to-face or, like on here, did you just hide behind your anonymity? I’ll make an assumption that one of those players was Goodwillie? That guy paid his price a long time ago, so why do supporters feel the need to “goad” him and label him as a beast. I heard those shouts repeatedly around Balmoor. It’s embarrassing and was obviously identified by some Peterhead players whom I saw chastising those brave “goaders”. He is a top player and would be a great asset to our team. Would you “goad” him then?

I’ll make an assumption that one of those players was Goodwillie? That guy paid his price a long time ago, so why do supporters feel the need to “goad” him and label him as a beast.

As a Clyde supporter, I've been pleasantly surprised by how few opposition supporters "goad" Goodwillie.

I suspect the few that do secretly wish he played for their team.

Guest TOPFITTER
I still await a response from you to my earlier question.
Is this forum administered by you? Do we have to obtain your permission to post an opinion on a match or is it just the sanctimonious attitude you portray, similar to your “goading” Clyde players from the sidelines. How brave of you. When you returned to the car park did you wait on those players to “goad” them face-to-face or, like on here, did you just hide behind your anonymity? I’ll make an assumption that one of those players was Goodwillie? That guy paid his price a long time ago, so why do supporters feel the need to “goad” him and label him as a beast. I heard those shouts repeatedly around Balmoor. It’s embarrassing and was obviously identified by some Peterhead players whom I saw chastising those brave “goaders”. He is a top player and would be a great asset to our team. Would you “goad” him then?

Lord Catto, 8 posts 3 month member Defender of those maligned by topfitter, Top Stalker and Internet Policeman and Defender of The Morality, Quite a CV there a good fit for Clyde’s community ethos. If my posts require moderation contact the correct people and suggest they are failing in their duties otherwise jog on.

13 hours ago, Lord Catto said:

How brave of you. When you returned to the car park did you wait on those players to “goad” them face-to-face or, like on here, did you just hide behind your anonymity?

Aye because I am sure you are the Lord Catto :1eye I assume you were pleased to see Rory come on? Or are you still questioning why McInally is playing a player who has scored 32 goals this season?

After a long time of being very few  posters from the bluetoon on here recently a couple new ones have appeared.  It would appear there are a few different factions involved trying to out score each other.  I have met & know who Topfitter is & have no problem with him as he gets behind the team with good reason, don't know Lord Catto but looking at his posts since joining there seems to have been nothing positive about his posts. We all have our own ideas about players & how the team should line up but if folk cannot get behind the club when on top of the league & attempting to win the title its difficult knowing what they want.  Disappointed that anyone would question Rorys commitment to the club he kept turning up to play early in the year when he had far more important matters to be concerned about this maybe held back his fitness for sometime but his commitment has never waned. 

I never made it along on Saturday so no much anticipated comment from me but there seems to be plenty action on here! Disappointing that Cowdenbeath v Montrose game off last night as we could’ve gone into Saturdays match with some idea of what was required. Goad only knows how this season will end!

Archived