Wishaw Juniors - Scottish Junior Cup Semi-finals

Wishaw Secretary

Really enjoyed the day down in Hurlford today. Superb effort from the Wishy lads to claw their way back into the tie after losing the 1st goal. No shortage of committment from both sides with both having chances to win the game.  Brilliant achievement from Wishy to get to this latter stage and all the best to Hurlford in the final.

20 minutes ago, Shanner said:

Hard lines Wishy, a gallant effort and a complete credit to yourselves. Folk will remember this as one of the greatest underdog cup runs in the future. 

Now, sadly you probably have a backlog game in ten minutes so don't lick your wounds too long. 

Minimum of 21 games starting on Monday night.

54 minutes ago, ex-german exile said:

Mate, the programme didn't cause any grief, just a couple of stupid comments about it from P&B keyboard warriors whose opinion means nothing. Wishaw's fans and committee who were at the game today were brand new and very complimentary after the match.

We got all the players and coaches from both sides to sign three programmes. One is going to the raffle at a race night tonight for a youth team, and i shall be auctioning the other two on eBay. I have arranged with the wishaw secretary to send them 50% of the proceeds. We also sold first leg programmes at our merchandise table and passed the proceeds back to Wishaw.

Does that sound like grief?

Once more P and B proves that it is not a fair reflection of the clubs and their fans.

Oh aye sorry I only meant P+B very rarely does that make it across to the game.

Initially thought Wishaw were going to get a real doing after the first 20 but they worked very hard to keep it as tight as they could.Second half they were determined but just didn’t look dangerous enough in the box despite good build up play-felt Hurlford were always more likely to score another.Anyway brilliant effort this year from Wishaw-well done and heads up guys!Very close after a magnificent campaign.

Certainly an interesting cup run for Wishaw. Does anybody outside of the faithful few at Wishaw even remember the two games against Arniston Rangers or that Wishaw changed managers midway through the season? The fact that the last time Wishaw reached a Scottish Junior Cup was 80 odd years ago shows how hard it is. Lessons learned for any club from the lower leagues? Firstly winning the games in the early rounds helps especially if your paired with anybody outside of the big guns. Every round you win means some big gun somewhere has dropped out. Secondly hope and pray you steer clear of well away trips to places like any of the top twenty Junior clubs. Chances are your cup run will end up a vague memory on the SJFA stats page. Wishaw showed it can be done with hard work and a degree of luck in the draw. As for Wishaw's almost six month league winter shutdown waiting to play Junior Cup ties, well that could easily have backfired had players lost the will to live waiting on getting a game. Over all, Wishaw proved it can be done.

Kinda helps that Wishaw are a handy outfit to start with.

Had a great day out, the Hurlford folks were very welcoming as per usual.

Good cup tie with Ford having lions share of possession but always felt there was always another goal in Wishaw.

Just wasn't to be and as previously mentioned the lads should hold their heads high.

Good luck to Hurlford in final.

Sunburned tae feck, summer football anyone?

Edited by wishyman

Another decent game between these sides as they gave their all in the baking hot cauldron of Blair Park.Unfortunately,unlike last week,it was the home team who looked the more likely in the second half with the precision deliveries from wee Taz causing lots of problems,though Wishy refused to throw in the towel and fought until the final whistle.

It's been quite a journey for the Junior steelmen and there's no doubt that they've brought happiness and pride to their fans along the way,so again,well done boys!

And well done to the Hurlford folk both off and on the park for two games played in a sporting spirit,and for the banter and hospitality.

Now it's time for the teams currently sitting at the top of Div.1 to look over their shoulders as Wishy begin their title quest.  :)

Ps  It must be over 15 years since I was last at Blair Park( for a pre-season tourney),and I've got to say that the upgraded version is looking great.

It must be over 15 years since I was last at Blair Park( for a pre-season tourney),and I've got to say that the upgraded version is looking great.

Nice to see someone commenting on the improvements at BP. We get a lot of negative comments by people who've never been there and just believe the nonsense written on here. Unfortunately try as we may, we haven't been able to fix the drainage issues, which obviously causes major problems. Also, glad you enjoyed your day.

As for the game, it was always going to be difficult for Wishaw over two games to produce a shock, but they came close. I think they really needed to score first, but lesser teams would have crumbled after conceding and Wishy didn't, which shows a massive believe. In Dan Kindlan, you have a match winner and he should terrorise defences in your league. Your keeper is also very good and had some great stops. IMO the only thing that might stop you is the sheer volume of games. You've certainly the quality and team spirit. Good luck I genuinely hope you make it. Just hope we can pick up some points soon, otherwise we might be in the same league next season.

Finally, can you and Jim B. please tip Talbot for the final or better still put a couple of bob on them. We might need all the help we can get [emoji12] [emoji12] [emoji12] [emoji12]

6 minutes ago, ex-german exile said:

Nice to see someone commenting on the improvements at BP. We get a lot of negative comments by people who've never been there and just believe the nonsense written on here. Unfortunately try as we may, we haven't been able to fix the drainage issues, which obviously causes major problems. Also, glad you enjoyed your day.

As for the game, it was always going to be difficult for Wishaw over two games to produce a shock, but they came close. I think they really needed to score first, but lesser teams would have crumbled after conceding and Wishy didn't, which shows a massive believe. In Dan Kindlan, you have a match winner and he should terrorise defences in your league. Your keeper is also very good and had some great stops. IMO the only thing that might stop you is the sheer volume of games. You've certainly the quality and team spirit. Good luck I genuinely hope you make it. Just hope we can pick up some points soon, otherwise we might be in the same league next season.

Finally, can you and Jim B. please tip Talbot for the final or better still put a couple of bob on them. We might need all the help we can get emoji12.pngemoji12.pngemoji12.pngemoji12.png

Consider it done bud,though my betting on Talbot in other finals doesn't seem to have caused them any grief.Still,when we add jimbo b to the mix,who knows.....:huh:

:lol:

Consider it done bud,though my betting on Talbot in other finals doesn't seem to have caused them any grief.Still,when we add jimbo b to the mix,who knows.....:huh:

:lol:

Take it you didn’t have a flutter on last years SJC final. I’ll remind you Glenafton beat Talbot

[emoji23][emoji1360]

Now the dust has well and truly settled after what was an epic tie (and I've finally recovered some sense of what time zone I'm in) I'd just like to extend congratulations to all at Hurlford and wish you well for the final, it will be a tall order against the mighty Talbot but as with the first ever Junior Cup run I followed Wishy in (1980 ending at Baillieston) I hope to have exited at the home of the eventual winners.

Haven't quite brought myself to watch Saturday's highlights yet, but will look back fondly on a sterling effort, well done all at Wishy in getting much further than I ever thought possible and making the Ford fight all the way to the line, Wishy have a good record on penalties so who knows what would have happened if they had conjured a 2nd goal?

Anyway, footballing life goes on fast and furious with so many league (and Central League Cup) ties to fit in, but thanks to all at the club for creating such fabulous memories. I remember one of the Hurlford fans (possibly ex-German exile?) posting that the year they won the Cup the Semi victory over Irvine Meadow was more enjoyable than the glory day of the final, similarly with Wishy's Cup run this year my favourite memory rather than the day in the sun at Hurlford was the win over Yoker on a freezing St Patrick's Day before a typically tiny junior crowd which meant that Wishy would be featuring in the finals stages of the cup (admittedly at that stage only the last eight) for the first time in my life, a small football dream come true.

Finally, sad there won't be the range of souvenirs the club were planning if they got through but, a stack of fond memories to take away, will probably be harping on about them for as many of the next 83 years as I see out! Best wishes to all concerned, proud of you, Wishy.