A week in Germany

MP_MFC

Planning on heading to Germany for a week or so in the July. Initial idea is to spend a few days in Berlin and a few days in Munich.

We'd be getting the train between the two cities and have only been to Berlin.

For Munich, where would people recommend staying or would another city be better?

Other option is getting a train to somewhere else from Berlin - poland / czech republic and flying back from there, any suggestions?

1 hour ago, MP_MFC said:

Planning on heading to Germany for a week or so in the July. Initial idea is to spend a few days in Berlin and a few days in Munich.

We'd be getting the train between the two cities and have only been to Berlin.

For Munich, where would people recommend staying or would another city be better?

Other option is getting a train to somewhere else from Berlin - poland / czech republic and flying back from there, any suggestions?

I'd consider Gdansk and the nearby beach towns seeing as you're going in July. Good and cheap flight links back.

Munich is a tremendous city for a tourist, particularly if you are a fat b*****d who loves his food and bevvy like me. Hotels can be pricey towards the centre but there are plenty of reasonable places within a 10 minute journey of Hauptbanhof. So much can be seen on foot from there, though the public transport is typically German(Very good) if you'd rather do that. While I would generally suggest leaving the pubs that are in and around Marianplatz, there is a wee boozer just behind the Frauenkirch called Tobacco which is one of the best pubs I have spent a night in. Proper drinkers pub and the barstaff were outstanding in terms of chat/banter and knowledge of the bevvy they sell.

We did a Monday daytrip to Salzburg during a footballing weekend in Munich, its about an hour and a half on the train I seem to remember. Followed by 1860 v Gladbach at the Allianz Arena which rounded off a magic day.

We've stayed at the Ibis Munich City near the main station a couple of times. Very handy and fairly priced.

Looking at making it 10ish days. Current plans are going a mini tour starting at Berlin for 3 days, Munich for 3 and then either Vienna or Prague. Any recommendations for either of these places?

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/03/2018 at 22:19, MP_MFC said:

Looking at making it 10ish days. Current plans are going a mini tour starting at Berlin for 3 days, Munich for 3 and then either Vienna or Prague. Any recommendations for either of these places?

I was in Berlin last year and stayed at the Titanic Gendarmenmarkt, which was very nice, but quite expensive. The Citymapper app covers Berlin and is really useful, getting around by bus and Ubahn is really easy. The area round the French Cathedral has loads of places to eat. I'd recommend staying round that side. Towards Alexanderplatz is probably cheaper, but scruffier.

On 3/28/2018 at 00:19, MP_MFC said:

Vienna's beautiful.  Hard to go wrong anywhere there.

Agree on the Vienna shout, Prague is great too though. 

From Munich, we went on a day trip to Lake tegernsee, was only like ten Euro return on train and about an hour away. Beautiful lake and village with a really nice bar/restaurant overlooking the lake.

• 2 months later...
On 1.7.2018 at 17:56, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

Nurenburg and Regensburg are well worth visiting when heading towards Munich.

Would also add Augsburg.

Enjoyed this place the few times I've been down that way for the football.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived