B+B Tain, Dornoch, Golspie, Brora area

welshbairn

I've got a Canadian cousin coming over on a golfing holiday and I'm struggling to find somewhere for him and company to stay for a reasonable price in the topic's area. Was going to send a pm to @Rowan as she seems to know the area well, but I thought I'd open it up to the world. I've recommended the Sutherland Inn in Brora but I think he's a bit dubious.

42 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

I stayed at the Royal Marine in brora in an apartment and it was really nice. What is a reasonable price?

Also how long and how many?

Increasingly I am finding AirBNB is the way to go in the Highland especially if over 2 nights and especially if more than 2 people.

He's just there for one night on two separate dates needing 2 rooms, otherwise I'd definitely recommend AirBNB or the Tripadvisor rental section. Rowan's pm'd me some good tips that I've passed on and I think he's reconsidering the Sutherland Inn. I think he's not poor but the prices at the Royal Marine! He's over for a month so paying £220 a night is well beyond his budget.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Tain so hopefully can be of some use.

The Carnegie Lodge hotel and Royal hotel are very nice and shouldn't be too bad outwith the worst of the peak times. Everything in Dornoch is likely to become a rip off.

Have you tried looking off the beaten track a bit, out towards Bonar Bridge perhaps?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Thinking of going to see Bunillidh Thistle v Inverness Athletic in Helmsdale on Saturday, North Caledonian League, as Clachnacuddin is the only Highland League team not playing in the League Cup having got knocked out in the qualifier. Planning on stopping the night, either in Helmsdale or somewhere a bit further south, like Golspie. All I'm really looking for is a decent pub and somewhere to eat. Found a couple of reasonably cheap places to stay in Helmsdale, if anyone has a better suggestion I'm all ears. I'll be driving.

I once stayed in the Portland hotel in Lybster which was nice and had good food and a bar itself.  We went down to Dunbeath and despite looking like the Clansman from the outside the Bay Owl had a brilliant whisky selection and good food too.

It would mean you get to see Berriehill Braes which is apparently a tourist attraction but is more a horrific accident waiting to happen.

On 13/11/2019 at 16:43, welshbairn said:

Thinking of going to see Bunillidh Thistle v Inverness Athletic in Helmsdale on Saturday, North Caledonian League, as Clachnacuddin is the only Highland League team not playing in the League Cup having got knocked out in the qualifier. Planning on stopping the night, either in Helmsdale or somewhere a bit further south, like Golspie. All I'm really looking for is a decent pub and somewhere to eat. Found a couple of reasonably cheap places to stay in Helmsdale, if anyone has a better suggestion I'm all ears. I'll be driving.

Where did you end up staying?

19 hours ago, RH33 said:

Where did you end up staying?

Bannockburn Inn in Helmsdale. Weird place, the hotel barman was a massive racist from the East End of London, took the piss a bit and was slightly worried he'd slit my throat in the middle of the night. Cracking Russian style breakfast in Timespan, an art centre/museum with a cafe.