The Duel for the Crown

1 hour ago, Burnie_man said:

When are the play-off matches? Is it Threave hosting first?

Lowland League Playoff, Final

First Leg
Saturday 5th May
Threave Rovers v Kelty Hearts

Second Leg
Saturday 12th May
Kelty Hearts v Threave Rovers

A cracking day for what turned out to be a cracking game of football. Well done to Kelty, I'll try and get along to at least one leg of the playoff. Superb setup at NCP, even if I did have to park about a mile away!

https://piesontheterraces.wordpress.com/2018/04/28/kelty-hearts-v-lothian-thistle-hutchison-vale/

30 minutes ago, gogsy said:

Good to see the LTHV manager is taking it well.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/lower-leagues/lothian-boss-fatigue-beat-us-in-the-end-not-kelty-1-4732153

“It was always going to be a tough challenge as the boys are absolutely drained. They’re still sitting in that dressing-room with pride, though. We’ve played Kelty four times this season and beaten them in three. With a fully fit team, I think we would’ve beaten them today. Without any shadow of a doubt, we’re a better footballing side, we use the ball better and it’s just unlucky that it came down to fixtures and fatigue that have cost us.”

Somebody should remind him the goals that his team have scored against Kelty this season have been a penalty, a freak own goal and two goals from corner kicks. Apart from the Scottish cup game they haven't really created very many chances at all.

He sounds a wee bit bitter maybe if they didn't play at a shit venue with a sticky pudding pitch it would have been different.

Comments are totally disrespectful imo Kelty by far a better footballing team , LtHv good at getting a lead and holding on to it but that’s about it , any respect I had is gone for them unfortunately, all the best to them on their tattie field next season and see what excuses pour in when Bonnyrigg win the league 

LTHV a better footballing side? As I said before, I was there on Saturday as a neutral. Kelty were clearly the better footballing side. They were more attacking, with LTHV coming for a draw. Even when they were losing, they didn't create much. Granted, them having played more games recently won't have helped them, but I have no doubt the better footballing side won. Also results against other opposition show that Kelty are a more attacking side, while LTHV are good at holding on a small lead.

The fixtures were all published well in advance.   Then, as with last season, there were huge problems with Saughton and games kept getting called off.  The league had no choice but to re-arrange the matches before the EoS v SoS playoffs.  They have absolutely nothing to complain about.  The problems were caused by their own pitch.  I don't understand how this has turned into a "everyone is out to get us and the league wants Kelty up instead of" argument.

Clearly, Kelty and LTHV are miles ahead of the rest of the EoS and both should be in the Lowland League based on results.   Hopefully LTHV get their licence, sort out their pitch (could be helped by Tynie moving) and get promoted at some point.  It will get harder each year, however, with the juniors moving across.  They'll be a big challenge for the likes of Bonnyrigg next season, I'm sure.

Based on this season, though, it would be an absolute mess if LTHV were in the Lowland League playing 30 league matches +cups and would cause huge problems for the league in terms of scheduling so something certainly has to change going forward.

Edited by stanley

LTHV played three league fixtures in May last year (6/10/13th), and seven the year before (2/4/7/11/14/17/20), which was fine as no one licensed was going to win the league. But once Kelty were there they should have realised the April 28th deadline was going to come into play.

Edited by Ginaro

I went along to both games at Saughton and Kelty and it was clear that Kelty were the better footballing side. LTHV were content to sit and exploit on the counter and set pieces. I made that same comment to my friend at the LTHV home game and sure enough the goal from the corner was enough. 

The atmosphere at NCP on Saturday though was fantastic, I thoroughly enjoyed the game and the best side won. Good luck next season!!

You can't disagree with LTHV manager that fatigue played its part (6 games in 11 days - of course it did), but the reasons behind why they had to do so are there for all to see and no one else's fault but their's.

As for being the better football teaming, I think the goals for column in the league speaks volumes. I was at the match on Saturday and I kind of thought LTHV were worthy of a point in the end as they had a lot more possession in the second half. That said they did lack a cutting edge - perhaps because of fatigue, or perhaps they just don't have the same cutting edge Kelty do, as the goals for column would suggest. 

3 hours ago, Steven W said:

You can't disagree with LTHV manager that fatigue played its part (6 games in 11 days - of course it did), but the reasons behind why they had to do so are there for all to see and no one else's fault but their's.

As for being the better football teaming, I think the goals for column in the league speaks volumes. I was at the match on Saturday and I kind of thought LTHV were worthy of a point in the end as they had a lot more possession in the second half. That said they did lack a cutting edge - perhaps because of fatigue, or perhaps they just don't have the same cutting edge Kelty do, as the goals for column would suggest. 

It could be worse Heaton Stannington of the Northern League were forced to play 10 games in 23 days including a game last night and tonight :blink:

Thats FA guidelines for ye. 

5 hours ago, Steven W said:

Nope fatigue perhaps did kick in but they didn’t deserve a draw for one long range shot in second half , they had a bit more possession but only because kelty didn’t need to chase the game and they failed to make any in roads with it imo

43 minutes ago, Kelheart said:

Nope fatigue perhaps did kick in but they didn’t deserve a draw for one long range shot in second half , they had a bit more possession but only because kelty didn’t need to chase the game and they failed to make any in roads with it imo

Agreed, possession doesn't say much. When in possession, Kelty were far more dangerous and created far more than LHTV. Despite them having the entire second half (until the 3-1 in stoppage time) to equalise, they never looked like they were doing it. I guess as a supporter you were still very nervous, but for me as a neutral I never really had any doubt who would win the game.

2 minutes ago, Marten said:

Agreed, possession doesn't say much. When in possession, Kelty were far more dangerous and created far more than LHTV. Despite them having the entire second half (until the 3-1 in stoppage time) to equalise, they never looked like they were doing it. I guess as a supporter you were still very nervous, but for me as a neutral I never really had any doubt who would win the game.

Yip was nervous but a few beers settled them mate , hope you enjoyed your day 

2 minutes ago, Kelheart said:

Yip was nervous but a few beers settled them mate , hope you enjoyed your day 

Had a great day, thanks. Quite impressed by Kelty, very friendly club, all people I spoke to were so nice and passionate about their club. I was in the club house early and just enjoyed soaking up the atmosphere.

17 hours ago, Kelheart said:

hmm... maybe you're right. I just felt that stood behind the goals, the majority of the action was at the opposite end of the game to me throughout! 

Anyway, i was impressed by the set-up at Kelty and can only admire their ambition. Could be about to prove dividend already with potential derby matches v Cowdenbeath next season

Lothian, the better " footballing " on the day. Kelty deserved the win, playing to their strengths of long balls, pick up seconds. They will get found in lowland league. Lothian better suited to lowland league football.

6 hours ago, skynews said:

Lothian, the better " footballing " on the day. Kelty deserved the win, playing to their strengths of long balls, pick up seconds. They will get found in lowland league. Lothian better suited to lowland league football.

Bitter much? My neck was sore watching Lothian punt long ball after long ball up the park in the second half. 

Kelty have so far competed well with Lowland League sides, beating BSC, East Stirlingshire, Stirling Uni and Selkirk in friendlies and competitive action. A narrow defeat to LL winners Spartans on their own patch also. 

Dont you worry about Kelty, just get your park sorted so you don’t do as much complaining next season when the same backlog appears...

Friendlies are not the same as a competitive match. Kelty have pumped the baw aw season. You have all those quality players and all you do is play long balls, it will catch up with you. Find a plan B. It's terrible and won't cut it in the lowland league.  No, am not from Lothian, am a neutral.  I watched the game last sat, Lothian only team that looked to pass the ball. Kelty lump, lump and lump. Baw still recovering at A and E.

Good luck vs threave. I want Kelty to win.