The Exciting Race for the Premiership Playoffs

Playoff poll  

155 members have voted

1. 1. Which team will be playing in the final in May?

2. 2. Will the Championship team win the final?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 31/03/18 at 14:00

2 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I'm very much looking forward to the playoffs this season. What has usually been the deal with TV coverage? Do they get shown? I've been too bitter and twisted in previous years to give a shit.

Wasn't last season's playoffs completely ignored except for the final game, which was then on BT Sports?

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wasn't last season's playoffs completely ignored except for the final game, which was then on BT Sports?

Nah our semi with Falkirk was on one of The channels. Hence the iconic image of the greeting kid holding her head in her hands.

2 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Because the evidence all points to his? Seriously we have all seen players have one decent game, and decent only because you expected much much worse, then decline sharply into a complete liability. Halfing players, arguing with the ref, gesturing to fans, etc. He has previous for this, and I genuinely believe that he will again and it'll cost you. Such a stupid, stupid purchase.

It's a gamble but I don't think he can be any worse than our other defenders. If he plays well from now until the end of the season he might be the difference. He certainly hasn't made it any less likely that we will be promoted- it has maybe increased from a 5% chance to a 6% chance.

If he's chronic or starts punching people he will be released anyway.

Just now, Szamo's_Ammo said:

It's a gamble but I don't think he can be any worse than our other defenders. If he plays well from now until the end of the season he might be the difference. He certainly hasn't made it any less likely that we will be promoted- it has maybe increased from a 5% chance to a 6% chance.

If he's chronic or starts punching people he will be released anyway.

Sturrock... that is a good idea. Mohsni... is not.

From an outside point of view it looks like you are throwing money at a problem that isn't money related - and it's not as if you were that flush to begin with. A galvanised United team should romp through the playoffs (well up to the final game). I say should because a galvanised United team would have put up far more of a fight for the title in the first place.

Both legs of the semi and final were shown on BT last year.

They didn't bother covering Morton being pumped 5-1 in the quarter final but might do this year if a big club like Dunfermline replaces them to make it a contest and attractive to viewers.

7 minutes ago, dregs 83 said:

Nah our semi with Falkirk was on one of The channels. Hence the iconic image of the greeting kid holding her head in her hands.

You'd think Alba would pick it up, I mean it seems only fair considering they are the only c***s who even take a second glance at the lower leagues. They deserve the rights. No doubt it will end up on the Sky/BT schedules with the usual asinine and ignorant pundits trotting out the painfully dull tropes.

7 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Sturrock... that is a good idea. Mohsni... is not.

From an outside point of view it looks like you are throwing money at a problem that isn't money related - and it's not as if you were that flush to begin with. A galvanised United team should romp through the playoffs (well up to the final game). I say should because a galvanised United team would have put up far more of a fight for the title in the first place.

You may be right. I hope Sturrock is a good appointment. We will see about Mohsni.

The only chance of United becoming "galvanised" is if Laszlo leaves. Even then, I doubt the majority of the players have it in them to motivate themselves and fight for promotion. 

I am one of the more optimistic of our support and I don' think we can get in playoffs. Our home form has been dreadful and defence is leaky. We can' be written off at this stage we still have dobbie and others but it looks unlikely. Being generous I think we could maybe pick up another 12 points. But that is unlikely to be enough. 

Livi 

Morton 

And limping over the line with games in hand United. Us and dunfermline fighting for 5th. 

As it stands.

Guest Back Post Misses

If DU get to the playoffs and don’t go up they can start to write their “we have had too many games in a short period of time” excuses now.

10 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

You may be right. I hope Sturrock is a good appointment. We will see about Mohsni.

The only chance of United becoming "galvanised" is if Laszlo leaves. Even then, I doubt the majority of the players have it in them to motivate themselves and fight for promotion. 

Sturrock 10years ago would’ve been a good signing.

Paul and I have the same b*****d illness to live with every day.

Stress and anxiety are exacerbated by the illness. I doubt Paul could do the job.

Anyway I would like to thank all the clubs in the championship for their help in making the championship as stress free as possible 

You’ve made an old guy very happy:)

40 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

You need to shift Laszlo now, wait too long and you'll miss the playoffs and if you somehow sneaked in under him you couldn't drop him then. All the time you have a man that has not only managed the club but also has a handle on Scottish football that the morose Magyar does not.

24 minutes ago, Young gun said:

Paul and I have the same b*****d illness to live with every day.

Sorry to hear that, medical science is always improving but I'm sure that is no comfort for you just now.

26 minutes ago, Young gun said:

Sturrock 10years ago would’ve been a good signing.

Stress and anxiety are exacerbated by the illness. I doubt Paul could do the job.

This would be my main concern if I was a United fan, that said he'll know what he's getting himself in to, and with Ellis there you can imagine his workload would be reduced to suit his current ability. The thing is though, he brings in a stature or a presence which is desperately needed in that team - or at least that's what it looks like from what I've seen of them recently.

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

The race for the playoffs.....

Livingston playing in blue, Dundee United in a natty new red outfit.....

Another equally apt analogy for the battle for the play-off places .... 

5 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Livingston

Yes

It should be second playing off against eleventh in the top flight. The team in second have already demonstrated over a season that they are better than the teams in third and fourth.

I don't mind the 3rd and 4th teams being involved, but the fact that the 11th placed team comes in at the very last minute is shan of the highest order. Either have it exactly the same as the other playoff divisions or have no playoff at all, pandering the "top league club" is pathetic and massively unfair.

16 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

You need to shift Laszlo now, wait too long and you'll miss the playoffs and if you somehow sneaked in under him you couldn't drop him then. All the time you have a man that has not only managed the club but also has a handle on Scottish football that the morose Magyar does not.

Sorry to hear that, medical science is always improving but I'm sure that is no comfort for you just now.

This would be my main concern if I was a United fan, that said he'll know what he's getting himself in to, and with Ellis there you can imagine his workload would be reduced to suit his current ability. The thing is though, he brings in a stature or a presence which is desperately needed in that team - or at least that's what it looks like from what I've seen of them recently.

I agree with all of that. 

We have Inverness away on Tuesday and Morton away on Saturday. I can't see how Laszlo can stay if we lose those matches. Hopefully it would only be a case of paying him up to the end of the season. 

Guest Back Post Misses

It should be all about promotion as in England.

Bottom two down and 3rd v 4th home and away then a one off game v 2nd. Rewarding failure in the Premiership has, but won’t, to stop

Archived