The Exciting Race for the Premiership Playoffs

Playoff poll  

155 members have voted

1. 1. Which team will be playing in the final in May?

2. 2. Will the Championship team win the final?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 31/03/18 at 14:00

4 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

Can someone put the affected clubs run ins on here. I am too lazy to look or do it myself, sorry.

Livingston:
Dumbarton (A)
Dunfermline (A)
Morton (H)
St Mirren (A)
Brechin (H)
Inverness (H)
Dundee Utd (A)

Morton:
Dundee Utd (H)
Livingston (A)
Dumbarton (H)
Queens (H)
St Mirren (A)
Inverness (H)

Dundee Utd:
Inverness (A)
Morton (A)
Dumbarton (H)
Dumbarton (A)
St Mirren (H)
Falkirk (H)
Brechin (A)
Queens (A)
Livingston (H)

Dunfermline:
Queens (H)
Livingston (H)
Falkirk (A)
Brechin (H)
Inverness (A)
Dumbarton (H)

Queens:
Dunfermline (A)
Falkirk (H)
Inverness (H)
Morton (A)
Dundee Utd (H)
Brechin (A)

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

I’d go 11th v 4th over two games, winner then plays third place over two legs, with the subsequent winner playing second over two legs.

Still makes it hard for third and fourth to get promoted (as it should) but properly penalises eleventh..

4th place in a 10 team league shouldn't be getting a shot at promotion.

I think folk forget that Premiership teams play 38 games instead of the 36 that we play.

It should either be a straight one match shoot out at a neutral venue between 11th and 2nd, or a 2 legged affair. Neutral venues always brings up the unfair advantage arguement so for that sake a 2 legged game is probably the fairest.

On a separate note United will be burst if they manage to get to the final

31 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

In a country where first place in a one team league wins the premiership, I don't see why not?

Absolutely this.
11th v 2nd.  One off game neutral venue.  Anything else is bullshit.

Easy statement to make, and I kind of agree, but you don’t answer the question of all of the pointless fixtures such a scenario creates?

I think folk forget that Premiership teams play 38 games instead of the 36 that we play.
It should either be a straight one match shoot out at a neutral venue between 11th and 2nd, or a 2 legged affair. Neutral venues always brings up the unfair advantage arguement so for that sake a 2 legged game is probably the fairest.
On a separate note United will be burst if they manage to get to the final

How about 3rd plays 11th in a two legged play off then the winner plays second?
At least that reduces the number of meaningless fixtures that a 11th v 2nd creates…

Still can't get over the position we're in just now. I'd take any position in the play offs right now, although if we finish 3rd or 4th it would be due to a bit of a collapse, which would hardly be good form going into the tie.

If we're harbouring any ambitions of going up, we must finish 2nd IMO. If we do, I think the other tie will be Morton and Queens.

Do people forget that play-offs aren't supposed to be "fair"? Fair would be the top two replacing the bottom two of the division above. Really, if you don't win the league, you have no right to say you "deserve" anything and if you're that good, you should easily defeat the lower ranked side/s.

Play-offs are designed to keep things exciting towards the end of the season. Imagine how atrocious this season would be without them.

29 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Do people forget that play-offs aren't supposed to be "fair"? Fair would be the top two replacing the bottom two of the division above. Really, if you don't win the league, you have no right to say you "deserve" anything and if you're that good, you should easily defeat the lower ranked side/s.

Play-offs are designed to keep things exciting towards the end of the season. Imagine how atrocious this season would be without them.

Yes, that's the point.  There is something intrinsically "unfair" about any play-off structure that puts sides from the same division against each other.

Play-offs are, as you say, designed to generate prolonged interest for more teams, culminating in matches with huge stakes.

If fairness is your overriding concern, then play-offs need scrapped altogether.

12 hours ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Mohsni was the best player on the park yesterday, strolled through the game despite not playing in months. Cool, calm and collected on the ball.

Mark Durnan has competition for best defender in the league now!

If you are judging Moshni on the fifers league one standard strikers, then good luck

Moshni will get sent off against us if playing.......He will hate playing against either of Jak or Nelson

10 hours ago, Jimmy85 said:

It should clearly be a 11th v 2nd. 

Finishing 4th in a 10 team league is fucking mid table ffs. 

It keeps the league meaningful till usually the 2nd last game or last game, without them  this season we would have basically meaningless games for many of us now onwards.

Id rather have the same system that is applied in the other 2 leagues with perhaps what they do in England and have one of games for the final in a neutral venue. We could have each final on a different day with the league 3 side final on a Friday, league 2 final Saturday and our one on the Sunday.

I await the the top league finishes later argument, as if that cant be sorted out pretty easily. The upcoming following Scottish season I believe starts before the world cup finishes next season with the charade of a league cup. 

We have clowns running our game, so its no surprise what we have on offer

3 minutes ago, MrDust said:

If you are judging Moshni on the fifers league one standard strikers, then good luck

Moshni will get sent off against us if playing.......He will hate playing against either of Jak or Nelson

It keeps the league meaningful till usually the 2nd last game or last game, without them  this season we would have basically meaningless games for many of us now onwards.

Id rather have the same system that is applied in the other 2 leagues with perhaps what they do in England and have one of games for the final in a neutral venue. We could have each final on a different day with the league 3 side final on a Friday, league 2 final Saturday and our one on the Sunday.

I await the the top league finishes later argument, as if that cant be sorted out pretty easily. The upcoming following Scottish season I believe starts before the world cup finishes next season with the charade of a league cup. 

We have clowns running our game, so its no surprise what we have on offer

The second bottom premiership team should go down and the 2nd and 3rd should play in a playoff final. One game at a big ground.

Nope, can't have that imagine if a big cash cow side finished second bottom? It's rewarding greed and failure.

Just now, D.A.F.C said:

The second bottom premiership team should go down and the 2nd and 3rd should play in a playoff final. One game at a big ground.

Nope, can't have that imagine if a big cash cow side finished second bottom? It's rewarding greed and failure.

Second bottom of the actual SPL used to get better rewarded than is currently the case in the top flight.

Fuckit i'm digging out my Roaring Back scarf from Flynn's era when we got relegated from the SPL. Might be the only chance i'll get to finally wear it and actually get close to doing what it says, if roaring back meant over the last 13 years anyway. :bounce2

7 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Why is that, lower TV money?

Eh?

No, it's because second bottom back then faced no danger of relegation at all and was guaranteed to start the next season in the top flight.  Now, they might get relegated.

Archived