Dunfermline v Queens

14 hours ago, Hawk said:

Some supporter you that you can't even make it to your home games!

I selfishly decided attending the wedding of one of my best pals was more important than a home game against some no marks from Dumfries.

Can understand if that confuses you though, as I'd be staggered if you even have any friends.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saturday was certainly a game of two halves... The Pars had more shots but Queens missed two or three big chances. 

Tbf, QoS started off the better in the opening 10-15 mins without overly threatening and then Aird and Clark kicked into gear. 

Leighfield made two great saves to deny Clark before Nicky grabbed his quick fire double. That second goal seemed to really kill the Doonhamers before the break. 

After the interval though, Naysmith's men put Dunfermline under a lot of pressure with Dykes missing two glorious chances before Marshall got the goal which turned EEP into a nervous wreck. 

Thankfully, despite throwing everything at us late on, we held on for a solid victory and got the icing on the cake at the end with Clark's third. 

I felt Aird and Clark were the best two players on the park but you can't really fault any Pars players on Saturday.

Robinson should've done better with the goal and Williamson maybe wasn't as strong defensively but overall a good team display which takes us nicely onto Tuesday. 

For Queens, I felt Leighfield made so good saves while Marshall got up in support of Todd a lot which caused us issues. Mercer couldn't get close to Aird though and I thought he might've been hooked for Rooney at HT. Jacobs and Rankin hardly got a touch but Thomson and Thomas done well. Dykes was poor and I was surprised he last as long as 80 mins. If Hearts want him, he either had a really bad afternoon at EEP or they're hoping they can bring him on big style. His two misses were guilt edge and might've gave QoS enough time to salvage an equaliser. 

I don't think the playoff push for either side is settled yet. Dunfermline have got themselves back into a good position but may be too little too late. Whereas, IMO at least, Queen of the South are 'as expected' right now and have had a good season with a small outside chance they can still claim a top 4 finish. 

I spoke with GN at FT on behalf of WestSound FM and you can hear my interview with him, here. You can also read my Match Report on my website, too. 

All the Best to QoS for the rest of the season! :thumsup2

Like above, story of two halves, thought we were really good first half, Aird stood out in particular, he was involved in everything and was a pleasure to watch.

Second half was disappointing, possibly caught between trying to score more goals and defending the lead, QOTS had some great chances but more due to Dunfermline gifting the opportunities, we have had a bad habit of doing that all season.

Robinson had a mixed bag, kept us in it with his saves, however was at fault for the one goal QOTS scored and his distribution throughout was woeful.

Glad for Clark who has been unfairly targeted by many Pars fans in recent months, for the hat trick he has to be MoM closely followed by Aird, then Martin.

1 hour ago, dafcburty said:

Saturday was certainly a game of two halves... The Pars had more shots but Queens missed two or three big chances. 

Tbf, QoS started off the better in the opening 10-15 mins without overly threatening and then Aird and Clark kicked into gear. 

Leighfield made two great saves to deny Clark before Nicky grabbed his quick fire double. That second goal seemed to really kill the Doonhamers before the break. 

After the interval though, Naysmith's men put Dunfermline under a lot of pressure with Dykes missing two glorious chances before Marshall got the goal which turned EEP into a nervous wreck. 

Thankfully, despite throwing everything at us late on, we held on for a solid victory and got the icing on the cake at the end with Clark's third. 

I felt Aird and Clark were the best two players on the park but you can't really fault any Pars players on Saturday.

Robinson should've done better with the goal and Williamson maybe wasn't as strong defensively but overall a good team display which takes us nicely onto Tuesday. 

For Queens, I felt Leighfield made so good saves while Marshall got up in support of Todd a lot which caused us issues. Mercer couldn't get close to Aird though and I thought he might've been hooked for Rooney at HT. Jacobs and Rankin hardly got a touch but Thomson and Thomas done well. Dykes was poor and I was surprised he last as long as 80 mins. If Hearts want him, he either had a really bad afternoon at EEP or they're hoping they can bring him on big style. His two misses were guilt edge and might've gave QoS enough time to salvage an equaliser. 

I don't think the playoff push for either side is settled yet. Dunfermline have got themselves back into a good position but may be too little too late. Whereas, IMO at least, Queen of the South are 'as expected' right now and have had a good season with a small outside chance they can still claim a top 4 finish. 

I spoke with GN at FT on behalf of WestSound FM and you can hear my interview with him, here. You can also read my Match Report on my website, too. 

Sorry, did you say that Queen of the South have had a good season?

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Sorry, did you say that Queen of the South have had a good season?

I'm obviously saying that from a neutrals POV and I don't see your side often so I am only going on what I'd say is realistic expectation and the performances I've seen of your side and - like I said above - I think you guys are on course for a 'normal' season of finishing mid-table. 

With the squad you've got, you are where you should be. Without Dobbie, you'd still be a good outfit and with a bit better finishing in the second half on Saturday yous probably would've got a draw. 

As I say, I'm only saying this from an outsiders angle so if the overall expectation this season hasn't been met etc then fair enough but I wouldn't Naysmith has done a particularly bad job but not an amazing one either. Just average. 

3 minutes ago, dafcburty said:

I'm obviously saying that from a neutrals POV and I don't see your side often so I am only going on what I'd say is realistic expectation and the performances I've seen of your side and - like I said above - I think you guys are on course for a 'normal' season of finishing mid-table. 

With the squad you've got, you are where you should be. Without Dobbie, you'd still be a good outfit and with a bit better finishing in the second half on Saturday yous probably would've got a draw. 

As I say, I'm only saying this from an outsiders angle so if the overall expectation this season hasn't been met etc then fair enough but I wouldn't Naysmith has done a particularly bad job but not an amazing one either. Just average. 

Without Dobbie we'd be ensuring that Dumbarton stay put for another season.

8 hours ago, dafcburty said:

Decent summary albeit Dykes only missed one of our gilt edged chances. He actually did really well to set up Thomson who missed the 2nd one.

Archived