You team's most 'successful' position.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We werent so fortunate at the start of this season for a left back !!!
Id have put down centre halves as a position we tend to have been covered well in....or am I just thinking nostalgic with the 80s 90s
The likes of Gary Gillespie, Brian Brown, Brian Irvine, Brian Martin, Roddy Manley, Bryan Purdie , Gary Smith , Cedric Uras, Kevin James, John Hughes, Jamie McGowan,  Gerrard Afjes, Den Bieman, Davie Weir.
I always used to think we never ever got strikers who got 20+ goals, youd see the likes or Airdrie, Clydebank as such all have strikers who scored 20+ goals, sometimes two strikers who did it whereas we struggled in that department.
I think our first promotion to the top league post reconstruction we had Willie McGuire and Jimmy Gilmour as our top goalscorers but not passing 20.

I was reading your point about strikers I started watching Brechin in early 80 s and almost every team had a striking partnership that would bag 30 plus goals , even lower league team s such as ourselves had guys like Ken Eadie, Ian Campbell , Montrose had Gary Murray (Simon Murray Dundee s Dad ) Forfar had Jim Liddle and Kenny Mcdonald who went to Airdrie , there was John Brogan at Stirling , Keith Wright at Raith , a young Owen Coyle at Dumbarton then Airdrie. Cowdenbeath had Sandy Ross who would join Brechin. Dunfermline had a great scorer in John Watson they had a surge up the leagues around 85 scoring goals every week .
Partick had a young Mo Johnston. I ll have missed others no doubt but these names stick out..

52 minutes ago, CITY1974 said:

I was reading your point about strikers I started watching Brechin in early 80 s and almost every team had a striking partnership that would bag 30 plus goals , even lower league team s such as ourselves had guys like Ken Eadie, Ian Campbell , Montrose had Gary Murray (Simon Murray Dundee s Dad ) Forfar had Jim Liddle and Kenny Mcdonald who went to Airdrie , there was John Brogan at Stirling , Keith Wright at Raith , a young Owen Coyle at Dumbarton then Airdrie. Cowdenbeath had Sandy Ross who would join Brechin. Dunfermline had a great scorer in John Watson they had a surge up the leagues around 85 scoring goals every week .
Partick had a young Mo Johnston. I ll have missed others no doubt but these names stick out..

Watson signed for £300 quid and a pint of Guinness for his girlfriend (what a woman!) from Hong Kong Rangers and was with us through consecutive promotions from the old second Division to the Premier League. His diving header to bury Rangers and his First Division league winner against Meadowbank were two of the best moments I remember as a Pars fan. 

Watson signed for £300 quid and a pint of Guinness for his girlfriend (what a woman!) from Hong Kong Rangers and was with us through consecutive promotions from the old second Division to the Premier League. His diving header to bury Rangers and his First Division league winner against Meadowbank were two of the best moments I remember as a Pars fan. 

He was a great player you signed Pinky Campbell from us at that time as well . I remember you guys coming to Glebe in the old 1st Division on a run of hammering everyone you met with a huge support sure you won 4 1 ( nothing s changed ) [emoji23].
We d a good team in those days as well believe it or not .

We've had some decent midfielders in my time watching Morton. Guys like Janne Lindberg, Derek McInnes, Alan Mahood, Fred Bachirou, Alan Jenkins. More recently Michael Tidser, Jamie Lindsay, Andy Murdoch, Ross Forbes, GGH.

2 hours ago, Mr.Blue said:

We've had some decent midfielders in my time watching Morton. Guys like Janne Lindberg, Derek McInnes, Alan Mahood, Fred Bachirou, Alan Jenkins. More recently Michael Tidser, Jamie Lindsay, Andy Murdoch, Ross Forbes, GGH.

And then there was Ian MacDonald.

Have to agree though,  it was always a strength of ours. If the midfield were not at the races we generally struggle. I'd add the likes of Jim Rooney,  Lex Richardson, David Hopkin, Craig MacPherson and Bobby Thomson.

2 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

And then there was Ian MacDonald.

Have to agree though,  it was always a strength of ours. If the midfield were not at the races we generally struggle. I'd add the likes of Jim Rooney,  Lex Richardson, David Hopkin, Craig MacPherson and Bobby Thomson.

I forgot to mention Hopkin and McPherson!

5 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Watson signed for £300 quid and a pint of Guinness for his girlfriend (what a woman!) from Hong Kong Rangers 

In the pub across from Waverley I believe, sure it's called the Guildford Arms or some such. Lovely pub. 

30 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Like the new avatar.

Cheers - poor Ricky suddenly being made to look a bit ordinary. Always think our foootballers could learn a bit from just how hard a guy like Mayweather would train. Would probably put in three tines the weekly training time of one of our “pros”.

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

On the flip side, left back we've struggled to fill since Scott McCulloch. Even Calderwoods wing backs (Grondin, McGroarty) blew hot and cold.

We had a few belters before that. Doug Rougvie was the scariest looking thing ever to pull on our strip and Ray Sharp was a maniac. His demolition of Airdrie, packing three of them off to the Queen Margaret in the first ten minutes typified his exuberance. 

Archived