Moat boring season ever?

4 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Why won't you beat Utd, virtually everyone else has !

We always pump part timers and without fail are shite in away games against “big” teams. AJ has never beaten Utd, never beat Hibs last season, never won a cup tie away at lower Premier teams. 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Fail to beat Utd on Saturday (we won't beat them) and the season is over for us. 

It really isn't. Morton will probably beat Brechin but at most you'll be 4 points out of the playoffs with 6 games to go. If we fail to beat Livingston on Saturday I certainly won't be counting us out and we're a point further back.

5 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Why won't you beat Utd, virtually everyone else has !

To be fair, United's home record remains more than decent. They've lost three times at home all season and sit 2nd in the "home" table behind St Mirren. They have lost 2 of their last 3 at home though, and drew the other one.

25 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

10/11 had three sides with a mathematical chance of winning the title with three games to go. Even if you're a non-Pars supporter, it's clearly nonsense to suggest it has anything on the snoozefest that's been this campaign.

Aye, it was the closest title race during that period of time, between a Derby rivalry that culminated in a sell out crowd at East End Park. The nature of the division back then meant that allot of teams would have little to play for by the end, the playoffs have greatly increased the excitement in this division. That season was one of the closer contests for the title though so I'm surprised it's been singled out. 

1 hour ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

10/11 had three sides with a mathematical chance of winning the title with three games to go. Even if you're a non-Pars supporter, it's clearly nonsense to suggest it has anything on the snoozefest that's been this campaign.

The use of the term 'mathematical' is telling, because Falkirk were too far behind to have any credible tilt at the title, while Raith had no chance of winning it because they were Raith fucking Rovers. When Saint Johnstone won the title in 2008-09 a similar 'three teams in it' dynamic was in play with ourselves and Partick Thistle 'challenging' with a few games to go, but not really because Saint Johnstone were cantering to the title regardless - they only clinched it at home to Morton on May 2nd though. Obviously I have fonder memories of the season in which Morton were vaguely in the mix in the spring while Dunfermline fans will much prefer their title-winning season. 

The fact that four teams are currently tussling for two spots in a okay-off series that looks wide open is preferable to either though and I wouldn't rule out a battle for the relegation play-off sport either. 

3 hours ago, pozbaird said:

If anyone finds a St Mirren fan who thinks this season is the most boring ever - firstly, have a word with their carer and secondly, up their medication levels by a factor of at least 500%.

A side issue would be to mull over which manager holds the title of presiding over our most boring season. Probably a toss up between Gus MacPherson, Tommy Craig or Alex Rae. Not even Alex Miller or Ian Murray could get close to challenging them for long periods of sheer unadulterated tedium and a complete lack of feelgood factor. 

I recognise these words, but I'm not sure I understand them :(

This season has been extremely dull for me. We won't be in the play-offs as we're shockingly inconsistent and we won't go down. A relegation battle would have at least made the season a bit exciting. Our latest home crowd figure show I'm not the only one in this boat. Dull football and no real chance of promotion doesn't really make for an exciting season. Dobbie is literally the only positive I'll take from this season.

18 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

This season has been extremely dull for me. We won't be in the play-offs as we're shockingly inconsistent and we won't go down. A relegation battle would have at least made the season a bit exciting. Our latest home crowd figure show I'm not the only one in this boat. Dull football and no real chance of promotion doesn't really make for an exciting season. Dobbie is literally the only positive I'll take from this season.

Agreed.

I felt much the same about last season from a Queens viewpoint.  The fact though that the top and bottom spots have looked sealed for months makes this a worse season overall.

11 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Agreed.

I felt much the same about last season from a Queens viewpoint.  The fact though that the top and bottom spots have looked sealed for months makes this a worse season overall.

If your team are not doing well then the season is a sad bore any league hence this thread started by a fan who's team was looking so brightly at the beginning of the season. What do Livie fans think ?  The most hurting fans must be United after all they are the biggest club in the division . They have to go back to the drawing board  bring in a management that knows understands how to get out of this league and understands the history of the club Hopkin is their man thing is I believe they will win promotion . 

7 hours ago, virginton said:

I'd have 2010-11 up there. Just one promotion spot place available, contested by the means of a shan Fife rivalry with an utterly predictable ending. The Dunfermline side that cantered to the title was a mediocre side in a sea of utter dung. No significant relegation fight at the bottom either. The sole comedy value from the season was Dundee's second implosion and second administration. 

The following season (Ross County's 24 point procession to the title; Dundee going up by default after Rangers died) wasn't much better either*.  The play-offs have made a huge difference to this league. 

* Apart from 'Rangers dying' of course, which will never be surpassed.

That was quite an exciting season for us with Rovers top for the majority of the season then throwing it away at the same time as BMMMH won it for us. Seeing EEP full for a Fife derby and the free kick that won it is something that will live long in the memory.

We weren't shite we had quality in Woods, Gibson, Cardle, Bell and others. Nothing outstanding but a good team. We only lost one game at home all season and it was down to comic cuts defending against Morton.

5 hours ago, Demented Zebra said:

Think it"s more your mind set Dunfermilne fans at the start of the season believed you were going to have a great season no wonder your deflated now. Falkirk and United fans were also in good mood. From a St Mirren perspective its an amazing season even if everyone else is shit you would love to be in our position . 

I must admit ,it’s boring now:thumsup2

14 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

You guys have had a few cracking wins though. Sticking four past Falkirk (twice), five past us, beating Utd courtesy of a 30yd screamer the other night. 

On 23/03/2018 at 10:39, Shandon Par said:

You guys have had a few cracking wins though. Sticking four past Falkirk (twice), five past us, beating Utd courtesy of a 30yd screamer the other night. 

Aye 4 past us when we were fucking shite. Even Brechin took a point off us in that period ffs.

1989-90.

Two seasons since being relegated from the Premier League and four away from being relegated again, this was a period of complete stagnation. Selling on promising youngsters, hanging around mid-table and the odd cup run ended with a "plucky-but-never-quite-getting-there" performance against a big team.

The aforementioned season epitomised it all - no danger of relegation with the likes of Alloa and Albion Rovers stinking out the bottom two places but no ambition to challenge for promotion, we finished 4th bottom ahead of Forfar but well behind the likes of Ayr, Meadowbank and Clyde. We drew 16 of 34 games (more than any other team in the country) and won only 9. 

And to think people get dewey-eyed when remembering McGraw's time in charge. They forget that to win the 2nd he had to get us relegated twice first.

As a St Mirren fan I obviously don't find this season boring at all!

That said, take us out of the league and you'd have a hell of a story with United blowing a huge lead and after tussling with Dunfemline for a while, both have been passed by a Livi side that would look odds on for automatic promotion. Surely that would be enough entertainment for the plebs?

Pretty much a transitional season for us,  after a car crash start, Hartley has steadied the ship which is all you can ask really.  Hopefully we can regroup in the summer with some better quality signings and have a tilt at the title next season.

Archived