Your Top Five Seasons

35 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

13/14 - Our form from the previous season continued and our 90's Newcastle style approach of "we'll score more than you" almost paid off. We scored 65 goals that season which was the second best in the league, sadly we conceded 64, only beaten by Cowdenbeath and a Morton side who conceded 10 on the last day.  The season was amazing entertainment though, and it came down to the second last game of the season in basically a shoot-out with Queens down at the Rock. We lost that game but still comfortably finished 5th above 3 other full-time sides. We also got to the Scottish Cup semi-final and were unlucky not to force a replay with Aberdeen.  I think this season just beats the great escape of the previous season, I loved watching us play.

If we win the Challenge Cup this weekend and go on to save ourselves from relegation I reckon this season would force it's way in over the 03/04 season, but a lot of work for us still to do.

Was it not the quarter final?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

07/08 - 8th place in the Scottish Third Division. We were absolutely rancid and had some prime time jobbers making up the squad but that season we had some of the most glorious away days known to man. There was a big crowd of us regularly travelling to every away game and having a fuckin rare time. It's almost like the football was so bad we didn't even care about it and just made a day of it. I even remember the manager having a square go with someone up at Elgin.

This is why my 'every other season' was brilliant too.  Watching Sons home and away wasn't about glory or winning really, it was about spending time with good mates, having a blast, eating pies, creating tales and anecdotes that still make us laugh today.   If we won something along the way, then that was the icing, not the cake.

Away trips in particular were/are brilliant.

I know I'm in the wrong forum but there's some championship memories here!

05/06 - our first league title for 67 years. To stand on the Central Park terraces alongside my Dad as the helicopter flew over the ground delivering the trophy is a moment I'll never forget.  My Mum was at my Grans house not too far from the ground and she says you could hear the roar from the ground when it flew over.  I made all bar 3 matches that season.  The season began with Dave Baikie handing in his resignation after assaulting the Father of one his formers players so we started off with a caretaker.  In came Mixu Paatelainen though - we started slowly as he took time to find out his favoured 4-3-3 formation, but built up some momentum after the New Year.  We were miles behind Stenhousemuir at one point but a stunning run of matches saw us overtake them and Berwick with just a few games to go.

What a team we had. Markus Paatelainen is still up there as one of the greatest to ever play for us. His season was almost ended when he almost lost his leg after a bad tackle up at Elgin.  The first time I can ever remember seeing Cowden as the main story on the back of all the newspapers. A truly gifted player who should have gone on to have a much longer career than he did.  We also had Armand One banging in the goals alongside Liam Buchanan.  Attacking wise it was probably the best we've had in the lowest league.  

2013/14 - surviving the play offs to remain in the championship.  How we finished 9th that season I'll never know.  Up front we had Greg Stewart and Kane Hemmings who would go on to score 40 between them for top flight Dundee a few years later.  At 4:48pm on the last day of the league season we were safe as we led QOTS 1-0.  I was in a hospital in Edinburgh as my Dad was in an induced coma after a heart attack the day before. Desperately clinging on to the thought of us staying up being the first thing I told him if he woke up we of course we conceded an equaliser with the last kick of the game. No words can describe how crestfallen I was when the Twitter notification came up.

Thankfully my Dad pulled through and was at Central Park with me for the 2nd leg of the play off semi with Ayr.  We won the first leg 2-1 with a Greg Stewart double.  Dad was under strict orders to take it easy at the match - Stewart scores inside 12 seconds and all I see is my Dad running around at the bottom of the stand celebrating :lol: We won that game 3-1  before beating Dunfermline in the final.  Not that any Cowden fans have mentioned this since.

2009/10 - the ultimate surprise. Literally days before the season began we were preparing for life in League 2 when Livingston were demoted and we were bumped up a league.  Under Danny Lennon we were expected to struggle which and we didn't pick up a win until September.  We were superb though then after - we didn't lose a league game from October to January and were scoring goals for fun.  Sadly we had a tendency to throw away 3 goals leads - a 3-3 draw away to Brechin handed the title initiative back to Stirling and the same scoreline against them a few weeks later wrapped up the title.

We finished 3rd which meant we faced Alloa in the play offs - a side who we hadn't beaten in 4 league games and 2 cup matches.  We drew the first leg at home to make it 7 without a win before going away to win 2-0! Gareth Wardlaw and Paul McQuade our heroes.  A final against Brechin saw us win the 2nd leg 3-0 at Glebe Park. My favourite ever away day at that point with the Cowden fans taking over the hedge side of the ground before taking part in my only ever pitch invasion.  Great day and a great night back at Central Park followed. 

2000/01 - my first season properly following us. I'm too young to remember much about it other than the final day seeing Hamilton win the league title on goal difference.  We finished 2nd after a winner takes all clash with Brechin at a packed Central Park. We were a point ahead of them going into the match and took a half time lead through Toby King.  City equalised in the 89th minute before captain and my distant relative Craig Winter scored the winner to send us up.  I can remember mocking Dick Campbells hat as he got on the team bus after the game as my Dad and pals were celebrating in the bar outside the ground.  We had a great team - John Martin, Davie White, Craig Winter, Graeme Brown etc.

2006/07 - not the whole season sadly but the spell under Mixu was the greatest I've seen.  This is how we started the season -

Cowden 6 v 1 Alloa, Cowden 4 v 1 East Stirling, Ayr 0 v 4 Cowden, Cowden 4 v 0 Stirling.  Soon we'd win at Raith 3-1 with Pat Clarke and Markus Paatelainen scoring late goals for us.  Markus's goal to make it 2-1 again another moment I'll always remember.  The ball bouncing round the box before he somehow poked it over the line.  It basically trundled in right in front of a huge Cowden support.  It really was bedlam when it went in and I've got goosebumps typing this!

Sadly Mixu left in October to go to Finland but his team has more than enough to avoid relegation as we finished 6th. We had Morgaro Gomis in centre mid, Pat Clarke and Liam Buchanan up top and even had Gary Smith for a while at the back. 

No particular order!

99/00 - Best season ever! 8th in the betting odds at the start of the season it came completely out of the blue and contained some cathartic results like the 6-0 away to Raith, and the 4 wins over Clyde & Graham Robert's meltdowns (plural) - the bubble didnae burst! Oh and that 5-0 defeat away to ICT on the final day - did we care?

05/06 - Worst ever team to win the division, did Billy Mehmet clinch it for us? Won the CC too!

Spoiler

Hope to be able to add 17/18 here soon.

76/77 - Was quite young & my memories are a bit vague - a huge crowd against Clydebank at Love St. on Christmas Day:santa !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

86/87 Scottish Cup win. That ballboy at Cappielow, Billy Abercromby stomping all over the Hearts midfield in the S/F. Two goals by Ian Ferguson in ET in the final - lucky only one counted!

12/13 League Cup win - Isma's arrival to beat Celtic 3-2 in the SF which contained another great penalty save from Samson. Made the final difficult for ourselves against a mediocre Hearts team.

3 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

I was having this debate with someone when we were talking about prioritising the cup or the league (when you're in the second tier).

I'd personally prioritise the league every time, on the basis that, as you say, you really only have a shot at a proper cup if you have a top flight squad. Hibs were a very rare exception there.

If you favour the cup, you might go an extra round or two, but you won't win it... Whereas you never know how crucial an extra point or two could be to a league campaign.

(As a footnote, I'm 39 so too young to remember the late 70s/early 80s, which I'd imagine would possibly feature in older fans' lists.)

We're a yoyo team, we'll never win the top division so it'd be one of the cups every time although if we get promoted I'd be prepared to suffer something like a minor skin ailment in return for a Top Six finish.

In the second tier it's always got to be promotion as we'll never win a big cup from there and although it'd be nice we've already won the CC once so I'd always prioritise the league over it like JR did against Raith.

1 hour ago, madton said:

Would go with 4 out of the 5 of these.

Would swap the 14/15 season with the 94/95 season.

In 94/95 we signed Rajamaki and Lindberg  and we won the second division and the football was really enjoyable from memory. We had Lilley, Mahood, McInnes all playing in that side too. The  penultimate  game of the season against Dumbarton was brilliant. I was playing on the park for the schools that day which helped! 

The 14/15 season we lost 11 games to part time sides and made a right meal of getting over the line. Could have been a lot more than 11 had it not been for some impressive comebacks right enough.  As you say we had our worst result in our history too. Fans were divided on Duffy pretty much all season and if it wasn't for McManus, we probably would't have went up. For me it wasn't that enjoyable and more relief that we managed to do what was expected of us.

I only added the 14/15 season as I don’t think there was another season I could add. Despite losing so many games and the Spartans fiasco, there was a lot of highlights including late winners - Peterhead away (twice), Dunfermline away, Ayr and Stenny as mentioned above, and winning 4-0 at EEP. Also, not forgetting the scenes at Stranraer on the second last day of the season, then coming back from a goal down against Peterhead to win the title on the last day.

If any of these examples were my teams “top 5 ever seasons” I’d probably just stop watching football to be honest.

“13/14 - finished 5th in the second tier and we made it to the Challenge Cup QFs. Absolutely amazing”

Fucking mugs.

3 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

If any of these examples were my teams “top 5 ever seasons” I’d probably just stop watching football to be honest.

“13/14 - finished 5th in the second tier and we made it to the Challenge Cup QFs. Absolutely amazing”

Fucking mugs.

My list included two national cup wins, which is identical to what Killie have managed over a similar time period. 

Feel free to stop watching football any time.

58 minutes ago, btb said:

99/00 - Best season ever! 8th in the betting odds at the start of the season it came completely out of the blue and contained some cathartic results like the 6-0 away to Raith, and the 4 wins over Clyde & Graham Robert's meltdowns (plural) - the bubble didnae burst! Oh and that 5-0 defeat away to ICT on the final day - did we care?

Reveal hidden contents

Can't have enjoyed it that much that you can't even remember. :lol:

Clyde and Graham Roberts was 05/06. Clyde weren't even in the league in 1999/00

9 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

Fucking mugs.

I struggled to do my top 5 as we've never played Kilmarnock in my life time.  A match against one of #TB4 would be top of the list.

1 hour ago, btb said:

05/06 - Worst ever team to win the division, did Billy Mehmet clinch it for us? Won the CC too!

Reveal hidden contents

76/77 - Was quite young & my memories are a bit vague - a huge crowd against Clydebank at Love St. on Christmas Day:santa !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

86/87 Scottish Cup win. That ballboy at Cappielow, Billy Abercromby stomping all over the Hearts midfield in the S/F. Two goals by Ian Ferguson in ET in the final - lucky only one counted!

12/13 League Cup win - Isma's arrival to beat Celtic 3-2 in the SF which contained another great penalty save from Samson. Made the final difficult for ourselves against a mediocre Hearts team.

Pretty vague alright.......that game was at Kilbowie. There was a huge crowd right enough!!

My list included two national cup wins, which is identical to what Killie have managed over a similar time period. 
Feel free to stop watching football any time.

It also includes the word “title” 3 times which indicates you were playing in the Championship so nothing like identical to what Killie have managed over a similar time period.

Nice try though.

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

Can't have enjoyed it that much that you can't even remember. :lol:

Clyde and Graham Roberts was 05/06. Clyde weren't even in the league in 1999/00

Ooops, maybe I enjoyed it too much! :guinness

Archived