Insurance

You'll probably get away with things, with just a EHIC, which gives you the emergency cover a local would get. Remember though that most European countries charge for inpatient stays (which the locals can usually claim back on insurance).

You'll also have the issue of repatriation were the worst to happen. Depending how I'll you are we're talking upwards of £25,000 to nearer £100,000 if you're on a ventilator. I've got friends who do this work and it's mental how many folk are not covered for it.

Even something as 'simple' as a broken ankle, might cause problems if you're in a cast: can't drive, airline might refuse boarding. Not to mention surgical costs. Plus your family costs for getting them home or staying with you in hospital.

You just have to see how many GoFundMe pages there are to get people home after various calamities.

I'd strongly advise insurance, but it's up to you.

17 hours ago, Romeo said:

Anyone got experience of getting or providing travel insurance for someone who's had cancer?

I'm getting mental quotes for a 6 day trip to Austria

Staysure have always been most reasonable for pre-existing conditions in my experience.

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, duremar said:

I get free travel insurance for the family from the bank... well I say free I have to pay a fee to have the account.

That will likely stop on Jan 1st, it was cheap as chips for them with the EHIC card for European holiday cover.