Insurance

Had Direct Line home contents insurance. Wife went to Lanzarote with the daughter a few years back. Apartment got broken into and her iPhone and Raymond Weil watch were stolen. Within a week of being home, a new iphone was in her possession and a pre paid card with £1100 on it arrived to pay for a replacement watch. It is worth checking just what your home contents policy covers before you spent money on holiday insurance.

Agreed for personal belongings, but you'd be a fool to go abroad without any travel insurance, even a broken bone can cost hundreds/thousands and that's without all the airline faff. Imagine you needed surgery or a prolonged hospital stay followed by repatriation. Then it's fundraising drives and selling homes to pay.

Sorry, just think folk don't realise how expensive healthcare is and assume bad things won't happen to them...

I have life/health insurance through work. I had contents insurance, I had to as part of a lease I agreed but I think it’s lapsed now. I’m going abroad (staying in Europe) for a weekend away soon and I have no intention of having travel/holiday insurance. I had two house cats previously, never had pet insurance...meant to but just never got round to it. I think my bank account offers mobile insurance

9 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

I have life/health insurance through work. I had contents insurance, I had to as part of a lease I agreed but I think it’s lapsed now. I’m going abroad (staying in Europe) for a weekend away soon and I have no intention of having travel/holiday insurance. I had two house cats previously, never had pet insurance...meant to but just never got round to it. I think my bank account offers mobile insurance

Worth getting one of these if you haven't got one already. It basically gives you the same health cover as the locals. Takes seconds to order one and it's free.

https://www.ehic.org.uk/Internet/startApplication.do

Used to pay just under £30 a month for life & critical illness to cover paying off my mortgage. 

It paid out last week, would rather have paid the mortgage off the conventional way TBH.

1 hour ago, NJ2 said:

Travel insurance for that will be about a fiver you miserable cùnt. Don't  come bleating on here for money to bale you out.

Travel insurance for that will be about a fiver you miserable cùnt. Don't  come bleating on here for money to bale you out.

Noted, Wilson. Might have made it through this winter but prices will rise in summer and you know who not to come calling to when heating bill comes in

3 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

3 hours ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

Find it absolutely mental that people don't have the most basic of insurance policies but then I work in Insurance claims and see every day why it's needed. 

Yup, I work in travel and I shudder (and shake my head quietly) whenever I read of one of those crowdfunding or media appeals when someone gets landed with a hefty medical bill abroad, and expects sympathy 'because I never thought to take insurance".

I've just insured me, the wife and 3 kids for £37-odd to go to Turkey for a week, including an extra payment to cover an existing heart condition.  Under £8 each, why would anyone even think that's a good risk when placed against the potential cost of illness or injury?  You'll spend more than that buying 2 drinks at the airport before you get on the plane.

And yes, you can take an EHIC card to Europe for free (just now), but that only entitles you to the most basic cover/treatment available in the country you're visiting.  Taking an insurance policy means you get better than that #snob #bupa

3 hours ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

Find it absolutely mental that people don't have the most basic of insurance policies but then I work in Insurance claims and see every day why it's needed. 

How much will you get if your significant other has a fatal accident?

Sorry that should be ‘when’ not ‘if’.

4 hours ago, sjc said:

Used to pay just under £30 a month for life & critical illness to cover paying off my mortgage. 

It paid out last week, would rather have paid the mortgage off the conventional way TBH.

My wife took that out whenever she bought the house - she very nearly didn't bother with it.

Paid off the mortgage 15 years ago when she was diagnosed with breast cancer.

I've death cover, health insurance (I'm thinking of getting rid of that now I'm retired, it's running at £34.00 odds per month), and car insurance £46.00/month for 10 months (I think, it's definitely not for 12). I've no phone cover, my phone cost only £20.00, so I don't see the point of insuring it. No pet insurance, which has cost us a small fortune over the years - currently the guts of £50.00/month for the dog's heart tablets.

I'd be wary of private medical insurance on top of the NHS cover we all have in the UK. Mate took it out through the work years ago. Paid in for twenty five years and then age 60 gets cancer. All that happened was he saw the exact same consultant twice in the same week in two different locations about one main road apart. He was dead about a year later. His private medical insurance was a complete waste of time. The consultant openly told him private insurance was great if you wanted some minor op done quickly.

1 hour ago, Boghead ranter said:

And yes, you can take an EHIC card to Europe for free (just now), but that only entitles you to the most basic cover/treatment available in the country you're visiting.  Taking an insurance policy means you get better than that #snob #bupa

To add to that, don't just take the cheapest quote on a comparison site. From friends' experiences it seems there are cowboys who fight every case in the hope you don't take them to court, pretending pre-existing conditions etc. There was a guy on here who had a heart attack on a Greek Island during the banking crisis, the local hospital couldn't cope and they refused to pay for a plane home, instead he was sent to Athens with his wife going around broke trying to find a working ATM and her husband critically ill.