Scotland v Costa Rica 23rd March

Harry Redknapp wanted Scott down at Spurs in 2009 although Scott’s loyalty to Celtic prevented the move. Man Utd enquired in 2008/2009 after playing a Brown inspired Celtic in the Champions League, again Scott closed the door on that move. Everton, Newcastle, Roma and Sevilla all made contact with Hibs before he chose Celtic too.

He’s had a magnificent career but part of me wishes he was maybe a little less “loyal” and he moved down south or abroad around 2009 as his performances for Scotland and Celtic in the European Cup have proven, he’s one of the best midfield enforcers and passers that we are ever likely to see in Scotland.

He was offered record breaking deals at real Madrid, juventus, Bayern Munich, psg, man Utd and Leeds rhinos but he didn't see a big enough challenge at those clubs

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Harry Redknapp wanted Scott down at Spurs in 2009 although Scott’s loyalty to Celtic prevented the move. Man Utd enquired in 2008/2009 after playing a Brown inspired Celtic in the Champions League, again Scott closed the door on that move. Everton, Newcastle, Roma and Sevilla all made contact with Hibs before he chose Celtic too.

He’s had a magnificent career but part of me wishes he was maybe a little less “loyal” and he moved down south or abroad around 2009 as his performances for Scotland and Celtic in the European Cup have proven, he’s one of the best midfield enforcers and passers that we are ever likely to see in Scotland.

If true brown must regret that decision. Just think he would have played in a good league, been 50 to 60times richer played in the champions league regularly ( not the odd year and finishing 3rd and 4th in group ) played with some of the worlds best players ie ronaldo , won European trophies and been world famous. Scottish football fans don’t seem to understand there place in food chain any more it’s not the 70s 80s or even 90s anymore unfortunately.

It’s like if your playing at Dundee and Celtic come calling offering you quadruple the money and to play in front of 60000 fans and with better players , better training facilities your not going to turn it down?.

There are a few exceptions in saying that for instance Larsson clearly a top striker sacrificed more wealth and playing at the top level during his peak because of his love of the club. Etc brown though doesn’t fall into this category.

I’m actually a brown fan he was excellent for Scotland think mctominay will eventually be able to fill his boots as he gets more games and experience.

Uh huh.  Paper talk.  How many of them bid for him?

Look fella, we get it, you don’t like Scott Brown. You’re inability to see just how good a player he is however, tells me all about your footballing knowledge, or lack of knowledge in this case.

He’s as close as we’ve had to a a genuinely world class player. I’d say he’s European class, as his statistics in the most prestigious football tournament on the planet would back up.

Uh huh.  Paper talk.  How many of them bid for him?

Sorry, don't care enough, you're the Google expert, look it up!!!

10 minutes ago, Dominique Malonga said:

Look fella, we get it, you don’t like Scott Brown. You’re inability to see just how good a player he is however, tells me all about your footballing knowledge, or lack of knowledge in this case.

He’s as close as we’ve had to a a genuinely world class player. I’d say he’s European class, as his statistics in the most prestigious football tournament on the planet would back up.

:lol: What absolute pish.

It is absolutely laughable.

:lol: What absolute pish.
It is absolutely laughable.

It’s laughable that people can’t see Scott Browns quality. I get that we are a self deprecating people but I think there must be an ulterior motive when it comes to Scott.

Rodgers even said that he would have him in his Liverpool side. Enough said.

Some Scottish football fans are deluded. Suppose it depends on definition of world class. If your going as best 5 players in the world in each position that’s crazy to say scott brown is world or European class.

Scott brown is a very good player especially by Scottish standards but to be world class you would have to be excelling at a high level week on week in your domestic league and Europe. Not just getting heavily beaten by top teams in the group stage of the champions league with a high pass % but playing In the later stages and standing out. Also brown has never played in euros or World Cup either ( although this is not mandatory to be world class) and just 2 last 16 champions league games in 16 year career this predominantly he has played against a weaker standard of player.

Playing well against Motherwell rangers Dundee week in week out and playing well in the odd champions league group is not enough for me to be classed World or European class.

1 hour ago, Dominique Malonga said:

It’s laughable that people can’t see Scott Browns quality. I get that we are a self deprecating people but I think there must be an ulterior motive when it comes to Scott.

Rodgers even said that he would have him in his Liverpool side. Enough said.

New to this thread..................but what in gods name are you on?

He gets shown up on the European stage time and time again. His skills are primarily hacking down and hindering opponents by consistent nippy fouling. This is extremely successful in the Scottish league when playing for one of the old firm. This is a player who playing for any other team would be booked every game, like Graeme Shinnie is for Aberdeen who i believe has double the amount of bookings this season.

He gets shown up on the European stage time and time again. His skills are primarily hacking down and hindering opponents by consistent nippy fouling. This is extremely successful in the Scottish league when playing for one of the old firm. This is a player who playing for any other team would be booked every game, like Graeme Shinnie is for Aberdeen who i believe has double the amount of bookings this season.
He will be a huge loss in Scotland's midfield. I would worry about the judgment of anyone who can't see that.

8 minutes ago, pandarilla said:
19 minutes ago, red23 said:

He will be a huge loss in Scotland's midfield. I would worry about the judgment of anyone who can't see that.

He's a loss but Jesus you lot are talking about this boy being on par with Bale for Wales. World Class? surely you can't agree with that?

The Costa Rica game is just a bad memory now, can't we just let that memory and this thread die???
There is a Scott Brown thread that this inane debate can continue on!!!

3 hours ago, Dominique Malonga said:

Who said that.  

Darren Fletcher is the best player Scotland have had in a long long time.  Craig Gordon next.  Then Barry Ferguson.  Brown would be after those.  I'm just objecting to your pish.

Archived