Scotland v Costa Rica 23rd March

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^ this

Your living in dream land it’s 5 - 4 - 1 with wingbacks for the next few years. We will shore up defensively without a doubt but we are not going to see the attacking play we seen under strachan it will be defensive and tight from hear on in unless we play San Marino at home.

This Scott Brown?

Screenshot_20180324-104513.thumb.jpg.40c591d4d9212b622d711c2d286bddb9.jpg

I hate stats. You can dress them up however you want but a 96% pass completion rate means bugger all. How many of them were key passes? How many assists? How many chances did he create? How many times did he do anything other than play a 5 yards sideway pass?

Kevin de Bruyne’s completion rate was 79% but everybody knows he’s a far, far better passer than Brown.

Not having a go at Scott Brown here by the way, I just get wound up by possession/passing stats where no context is applied.

Anyway, i’m also going to say that John McGinn is pish. He’s a decent player at his current level but beyond that he’s out of his depth.

Just now, ArabGaz said:

I hate stats. You can dress them up however you want but a 96% pass completion rate means bugger all. How many of them were key passes? How many assists? How many chances did he create? How many times did he do anything other than play a 5 yards sideway pass?

Kevin de Bruyne’s completion rate was 79% but everybody knows he’s a far, far better passer than Brown.

Not having a go at Scott Brown here by the way, I just get wound up by possession/passing stats where no context is applied.

Anyway, i’m also going to say that John McGinn is pish. He’s a decent player at his current level but beyond that he’s out of his depth.

Yer da's opinion on stats there. 

Pretty comfortable in saying someone with a 96% pass completion rate has good 'distribution' which is what someone was arguing against. 'hes naw as good as de bruyne but and de bruyne has worse stats' doesn't convince me otherwise. 

1 hour ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

McGregor looks about 2 stone over weight. He needs to get that sorted. He was blowing out his arse 5 mins after coming on.

He doesn't look overweight at all never mind 2 stone. 

So you think people paid £20 and travelled for an hour to boo the SFA blazers? Guid yin mate.

It’s always the team they are booing, but I do think McLeish has a very short leash, as it were. The crowd reaction was indicative of that. It’s a very concerning start on several levels.

17 minutes ago, ArabGaz said:

What makes Brown a valuable players is his knowledge of what pass to play. His key passes numbers won't be high, but the amount of attacks he'll start by picking the right ball to set things into motion is excellent. Then there's the fact he can dictate the tempo by slowing things down or speeding it up when he deems necessary, and how good he is at breaking up play. 

38 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

In fairness I do see a bit of a parallel between McGinn and Brown at the start of his career in that they both have the raw talent and physical attributes and showed in flashes what they were capable of. It was only after Brown got his big move and was coached into playing a much more tactically aware role that he became outstanding. Gives me hope for McGinn that he can achieve the same. I actually got the feeling he was trying to hard to make an impression in the limited time he had last night whereas if someone could teach him how to just be more consistently composed he'd be a class act

Can't remember who it was who said it but they were spot on. McGinn is someone who plays better when he starts a game and allows himself to grow into it. Rather than be given 8 minutes to come on and try and make some sort of impact to impress the new boss. Playing for Hibs my only concern with McGinn is his ball control, often when he's dribbling he's knocked the ball a good yard or two in front of him. Time and again an opposition player has gotten to it first leading to McGinn giving away a silly foul. The games he's started for Scotland or came on with a good portion of the game to go he's looked decent and comfortable though

Was anyone on here in section C3 of the North? There was a right dick behind me shouting abuse at every opportunity which is bad enough in itself but he was getting all the players wrong. 

McDonald gave the ball away in the middle of the park - "fucks sake Hanley youve no changed a bit!" 

Kept getting McTominay and Cairney mixed up too. Hope he isnt a gambler as he could end up disappointed when his first scorer bet he thinks is a winner turns out being a completely different player.

I didn’t see the game and i’m Just watching the ‘highlights’ now. Not particularly inspiring. 

A load of Championship jobbers thrown together and unsurprisingly producing some terrible football.

14 hours ago, Lex said:

No-one should be surprised Costa Rica have came to Glasgow and gave us a beating.

Remember them beating us in Italia 1990. They were better than us back then and they’re still better than us today.

Meaningless of course, international friendly weekend really is the worst part of any football season. The most worrying result tonight for Scotland fans was our U21’s needing a last minute equaliser to avoid defeat to Andorra, and that was in a competitive game! Future not exactly looking bright.

Scotland were much better than them in 1990, on the day and in general.  You're an idiot.

28 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

What makes Brown a valuable players is his knowledge of what pass to play. His key passes numbers won't be high, but the amount of attacks he'll start by picking the right ball to set things into motion is excellent. Then there's the fact he can dictate the tempo by slowing things down or speeding it up when he deems necessary, and how good he is at breaking up play. 

It's hard to find posts where you can ram so many cliches in, but to do so and say things that don't even happen? That takes skill.

Please tell me the last game where Brown dictated the tempo, or sped it up.

58 minutes ago, sidofthesouth said:

So you think people paid £20 and travelled for an hour to boo the SFA blazers? Guid yin mate.

An hour? Never went for a drink after the game and got home at 1am.

Never booed though. I'd also add there were loads of boos at half time too. Very odd behaviour. 

33 minutes ago, C. Muir said:

Was anyone on here in section C3 of the North? There was a right dick behind me shouting abuse at every opportunity which is bad enough in itself but he was getting all the players wrong. 

McDonald gave the ball away in the middle of the park - "fucks sake Hanley youve no changed a bit!" 

Kept getting McTominay and Cairney mixed up too. Hope he isnt a gambler as he could end up disappointed when his first scorer bet he thinks is a winner turns out being a completely different player.

What a dick :lol:

Was he shouting 'Levein out!' ?

Archived