Highland League Cup Final

EdTheDuck

So...

The Cup Final on 31st March  is between Formartine & Fraserburgh and they're playing it at McKessock Park, Rothes which is about 50 miles from Formartine and 60 from the Broch. Why not play it at Turriff? Almost bang in the middle between the two towns, 15-20 miles from each?

Is it like the Superbowl. they pick the final venue a couple years ahead?

Turriff probably can't be arsed having any more to do with this season than necessary after the way it's gone, plus if they've to spend a pound hosting it, they can't afford it. 

The venue was chosen a week or so ago. 

Neither Pitmedden nor the Broch have train stations like Rothes (or Turriff, for that matter), so supporters will be on buses or in cars anyway. Rothes seem quite proud to be hosting the match, so good on them. I mind an Aberdeenshire Cup final between the two was  held in Buckie a few years ago and there was a fair turnout for that game.

3 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

Neither Pitmedden nor the Broch have train stations like Rothes (or Turriff, for that matter), so supporters will be on buses or in cars anyway. Rothes seem quite proud to be hosting the match, so good on them. I mind an Aberdeenshire Cup final between the two was  held in Buckie a few years ago and there was a fair turnout for that game.

Rothes doesn't have a station either. Or am I reading your post wrong?

2 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Rothes doesn't have a station either. Or am I reading your post wrong?

Was meaning neither Rothes or Turriff have stations anyway, can see how it was ambiguous though!

2 hours ago, Cyclizine said:

A warning for Rothes, nice wee place and decent pubs and restaurants, but no buses to Elgin on a Sunday if you plan a B+B after a Saturday game. I had to hitchhike, waited 3 minutes for a lift.

I see Rothes game -v- Brora has been called off today for, ostensibly, a water-logged pitch. Again. There hasn't been a game played there since 11th February as far as I can see. Has there been a flood of a biblical nature there that hasn't been reported? 

Quite some time since I was there watching Peterhead but seem to remember the park was down below the town near river level which may explain why they would have trouble with waterlogging nice location on a fine day but if no games held there for over a month maybe needs to be rethought.

On 20/03/2018 at 22:12, EdTheDuck said:

So...

The Cup Final on 31st March  is between Formartine & Fraserburgh and they're playing it at McKessock Park, Rothes which is about 50 miles from Formartine and 60 from the Broch. Why not play it at Turriff? Almost bang in the middle between the two towns, 15-20 miles from each?

Is it like the Superbowl. they pick the final venue a couple years ahead?

I’m sure the Broch support will turn up in good numbers, not sure about the Formartine support though.

Rothes deserve to host a cup final like any other team.

Forts turn next season.

On 21/03/2018 at 19:36, welshbairn said:

A warning for Rothes, nice wee place and decent pubs and restaurants, but no buses to Elgin on a Sunday if you plan a B+B after a Saturday game. I had to hitchhike, waited 3 minutes for a lift.

I would have kept on driving.

Archived