Arabs v Doonhamers Part 3

Negative out the way first. Another goal from a corner (and freekick). It's unreal how many we lose. In the same fashion that we look at where we'd hypothetically be without Dobbie's goals, I'd love to see where we'd be if we took out all the goals we've conceded from setpieces. We seriously need to get a grip in that department.

On the plus side, a surprising win tonight and with respect to Utd it's not that they were a particularly tough prospect, more that we are just very poor. To get 3 without Dobbie really has surprised me. Fair play to all the (nutcase) fans who made the journey. A result worthy of their efforts. And to top it off, that 3rd goal :wub:

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
well that turned out to be more enjoyable that expected.
Sat back and soaked a lot up, but looked very lively on the break and were rewarded with 2:0 at half time.
Good chance for Todd to make it 3 early in the 2nd half, after than we were always going to make it difficult for ourselves.
It looked like Rooney tripped over his feet trying on the boal line to clear before the 1st United goal, giving Durnan an efffective tap in,  and the 2nd owed a lot to Leighfield putting the wall in the wrong place, but it was a good hit to be fair.
Fortunately it then became pretty end to end rather than the expected collapse, with the winnner from Thomson being a 25 yard screamer than is stong contender for goal of the season,
Everyone put a shift in. Todd is clearly a player and looked danderous all night, but my MoM was Dykes who was a revelation compared to some other performance this season. Ran all night, was instrumental in the 1st two goals and was unlucky with one that hit the bar (is he just intimitated playing with the messiah?)
Good to see Danny back and hopefully the injury to Thomson isn't too serious.
Moshni was sitting to our right - looked a bit bemused by the end. He might even get a game at this rate.

Agree on Dykes - playing up top on the shoulder of last defender is undoubtedly his best position. He put in a terrific shift last night ably supported by Thomson and Todd in particular.

That unexpected win has lifted the spirits and we need to somehow start winning at home to keep our season alive.

I must admit that I haven't seen much of Todd previously and it is only one game but he looked the type of player that we have been crying out for. Very dangerous going forward and works back behind the ball effectively. Given his local roots he might be one that we can try and secure for next season depending on what St Mirren's plans are.

Agree on Dykes - playing up top on the shoulder of last defender is undoubtedly his best position. He put in a terrific shift last night ably supported by Thomson and Todd in particular.

That unexpected win has lifted the spirits and we need to somehow start winning at home to keep our season alive.

I must admit that I haven't seen much of Todd previously and it is only one game but he looked the type of player that we have been crying out for. Very dangerous going forward and works back behind the ball effectively. Given his local roots he might be one that we can try and secure for next season depending on what St Mirren's plans are.

Agree with everything you say about Dykes and would like to give some praise to another player given regular stick on this site. Thought Rankine was superb, loads of energy, constantly offering encouragement and guidance to those around him, driving them on and playing a real captains role. United supporters around me still rate him and to a man said they would prefer him to their current midfield options.

34 minutes ago, coo shedder said:

Agree with everything you say about Dykes and would like to give some praise to another player given regular stick on this site. Thought Rankine was superb, loads of energy, constantly offering encouragement and guidance to those around him, driving them on and playing a real captains role. United supporters around me still rate him and to a man said they would prefer him to their current midfield options.

Rankin had a decent game and as you say had loads of energy and encouraged and supported the less experienced players. That said he lacked composure on on a number of occasions gave the ball away by knocking it forward aimlessly when a simple pass to keep possession was on. I doubt that nature of his game will change now.

I`m surprised by the view expressed by United fans as i thought he was largely disliked by the Arab faithful ??

Rankin had a decent game and as you say had loads of energy and encouraged and supported the less experienced players. That said he lacked composure on on a number of occasions gave the ball away by knocking it forward aimlessly when a simple pass to keep possession was on. I doubt that nature of his game will change now.
I`m surprised by the view expressed by United fans as i thought he was largely disliked by the Arab faithful ??

I was in corporate hospitality and I’m sharing the comments made by my table mates who were all United fans. Doesn’t mean they know much about football ....Watching United’s lacklustre performance they’d probably take a pantomime horse ahead of what they’ve got!

4 minutes ago, coo shedder said:

I was in corporate hospitality and I’m sharing the comments made by my table mates who were all United fans. Doesn’t mean they know much about football ....Watching United’s lacklustre performance they’d probably take a pantomime horse ahead of what they’ve got!

Fair enough :lol:

Archived