What is the strangest reason for a game postponement?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

Didn't Sevco get a game postponed for international call ups in League Two?

Yes, they shat out of playing Cowdenbeath whilst minus a couple of players.

Clear evidence it’s not the same club.

Were any games ever called off due to the Foot and Mouth epidemic?

Slightly different but with a coo connection. The Summer Cup Final between Aberdeen & Hibs at the end of the 63/64 season was put back to early the next season due to a typhoid outbreak in Aberdeen due to tins of contaminated corned beef.

Could I just thank all of you as some of this has been great reading. I'll admit my ignorance of the subject and didn't realise there have been some absolute doozies of reasons.

I personally like the game called off because of someone having an affair and the body in the car park. Purely for their comedic values you understand, I have no desire to bury an adulterer in a lower league parking area - at least not until now. I will of course inform everyone should that change.

The Dunfermline-Caley Thistle game was called off a few weeks ago, simply because we didn't want to play it for some reason.

We also wanted an away tie with QOTS postponed last year because the team had been stuck in traffic the day before and - according to the Highland News - all that was left to eat were pot noodles!

On ‎19‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 06:03, AyrshireTon said:

Were any games ever called off due to the Foot and Mouth epidemic?

As noted the entire South of Scotland League campaign was abandoned in February/March, with 5 of 6 cups also incomplete.

8 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

More than once.

You'll also recall Rangers petitioning SPL - and succeeding - to have a game against Gretna cancelled the midweek before a concluding CL groupstage game v Lyon... which they lost 0-3, IIRC.

Coupled with both OF clubs games being cancelled ahead of Scotland v Italy, the death of Phil O'Donnell, a harsh winter and a tilt at a quadruple, they ultimately ran out of dates.

Contrary to an earlier post, btw, football didn't stop during WWI and WWII although a number of (mainly provincial) clubs did close down.

In August 2008 we had a Saturday game at Ross County called off to allow us more time to prepare for our UEFA Cup tie in Denmark on the Tuesday. The League said we could if our opponents agreed to it and County were good enough to do so as long as we agreed to swap a home Saturday game with them so they didn't lose out on hospitality.

On 19/03/2018 at 18:38, Monkey Tennis said:

Good question.

I don't think so, but there was a big impact in this part of the country.  I've kind of got something in my head about a match with Forfar being affected, but it's quite possible I've made that up.

SD will know and if he doesn't, he'll be prepared to cheat by checking.

8 hours ago, Kevin 1919 said:

The queen's game away to the banjo boys on the 3rd march 2001 was postponed due to foot and mouth and it saved me from a dilemma as my daughter was born on the 1st of march

Did have to look that on e up to be fair!

As Kevin says, the away game at Stranraer on 3rd March 2001 was postponed due to foot and mouth. In addition, our away game at Forfar on 17th March was cancelled (Forfar's ground being effectively part of the cattle market) but it was rearranged at very short notice for Palmerston on that date with us going back to Forfar in May instead. So for all the impact in Dumfriesshire, it was two away games affected, no home ones.

Moving onto abandonments...

In the 1893-94 Border Senior League the Hawick v Duns game was abandoned after 2 Hawick players almost drowned trying to recover the ball from the adjacent river.

In 1939-40 the Renfrewshire Cup SF was abandoned with 7mins left at Morton 0-1 Babcock & Wilcox for "unknown reasons". Morton won the rearranged game 2-1 :whistle...

On 8th May 1943:
* Hibs v Hearts in the East of Scotland Shield Final was abandoned as the crowd was too small
* Raith v Aberdeen in the Mitchell Trophy Final 1st leg was suspended when an Aberdeen player collapsed from fatigue, then abandoned when the referee subsequently collapsed from exposure

On 17/03/2018 at 21:26, Stu said:

I was going to post that one, however if it’s the game I’m thinking of it was the goalie’s wife the opponent was having an affair with. The goalie ended up in court for his behaviour.

I think the abandoned Queens game being mentioned was in December 2013. Was a horrendous day, I remember getting soaked walking home from the station and wasn’t a surprise the game got stopped.

I mentioned the initial post to my wife (she’s from that part of the world) she told me straight away who the keeper was as he was well known for it.

When I read your post to her she then said it was a different keeper she had heard of, but added tales regarding former St Mirren keepers and similar such shenanigans down that way (none of which resulted in postponements, I must add).

16 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

Yes, they shat out of playing Cowdenbeath whilst minus a couple of players.

Clear evidence it’s not the same club.

That was in the Championship never ever played Rangers in League 2

Next season, St Mirren fixtures in the Bells Ramsdens Petrofac B&Q Irn Bru Norn Iron & Welsh Diddies & Cunty Colts Challenge Cup will no longer take place.

Reason for postponement: Championees, away, away, away.

On ‎20‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 13:17, Eednud said:

Slightly different but with a coo connection. The Summer Cup Final between Aberdeen & Hibs at the end of the 63/64 season was put back to early the next season due to a typhoid outbreak in Aberdeen due to tins of contaminated corned beef.

This was due to dodgy Fray Bentos corned beef sold from William Low stores which saw the company close their shops in the city and never to return.

We had a match down at Gretna abandoned after 18 minutes due to high winds.  Parts of the stand were blowing onto the pitch and I can vaguely recall an advertising board going across the pitch :lol:

Took about 20 people to open the exit as you had to push it open into the wind.  Great day though as the supporters bus had to wait around for 2 hours for 2 wives who had gone off shopping in town and didn't have their phones. Fairly sure the guy who organised the bus face planted off it when we got back to Cowdenbeath!

Guest Flash
On 20/03/2018 at 11:53, Stellaboz said:

They had a game at Ibrox against Queens in the Diddy Cup postponed due to international call ups when we were in the Second Division. Having all their players available on the rescheduled date allowed them to take the game to extra-time and penalties before they lost.

* Raith v Aberdeen in the Mitchell Trophy Final 1st leg was suspended when an Aberdeen player collapsed from fatigue, then abandoned when the referee subsequently collapsed from exposure

Did a Queens player not collapse with hypothermia at an away game sometime in the 80s? I’m thinking Tony Gervaise but maybe wrong.

On 3/17/2018 at 13:21, Monkey Tennis said:

The famous 'Super Caley go ballistic' game only happened midweek due to high winds damaging a roof at Parkhead on the Saturday.

This is indeed correct.
That was my first trip to CP.  I was in two minds about going to the rescheduled game.  I did go.  I'm glad I did go.  In fact I'm very glad I did go!

Archived