What is the strangest reason for a game postponement?

Yeah, I'd say just about any club on the coast in this country will suffer that. I just don't remember seeing any postponed (or abandoned) because of the wind. Not that I follow the lower leagues all that carefully, but I'd expect to notice it if it happened. Yet [mention=6311]Bring Back Paddy Flannery[/mention] said Dumbarton have had two games hit by it so maybe I wouldn't.

Here's articles about both of them

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_div_1/7170110.stm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/16334262

Now that I think about that article relates to a different game than what I was thinking about. That means we've had 2 late postponments at New Bayview due to the wind. The one I was think of was around February time when we were in the 3rd Division. East Fife gave us some soup and sandwiches and let us sit in their bar for a piss up for a good while after the ref called it off.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

We've had 2 games called off due to the wind in recent years, away at Arbroath and away at East Fife.

On both occassions we had already arrived at the ground.

Same thing happened to us (Dumbarton) it was probably about 10 years ago but was just pulling into the car park at EF ground to hear on the radio that games called off.

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

We've had 2 games called off due to the wind in recent years, away at Arbroath and away at East Fife.

On both occassions we had already arrived at the ground.

Farting is a terrible excuse for a postponement!

What a feckin embarrassment.

4 hours ago, Stevie Aitken's Love Child said:

I was talking to a Killie fan that I work with, and he told me that Killie had a game at Meadowbank called off back in the early 90s as the stadium was double booked with a cat show. Can't imagine  there being a more ridicuous reason than that.

Morton had a game at Dumbarton postpoed due to a wedding taking place in the stadium oo, I'm sure.

Was it Killie? I thought the cat show was Meadowbank v Morton.

4 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The famous 'Super Caley go ballistic' game only happened midweek due to high winds damaging a roof at Parkhead on the Saturday.

I'm pretty certain we had a game at Broadwood against Clyde postponed in 1997 or thereabouts, due to the windy conditions.

Dont remember that at Broadwood. A few ruined ny wind but they were played. We did of course have a home game abandoned after 25 mins about 4 or 5 years ago due to high winds. We also had a game postponed at Arbroath due to wind about 20 years ago. Willie Young had David Mathiesin take some practise goal kicks and when he couldnt clear his penalty area he called it off (correctly).

Match wasnt actually off but in the early 90s we had a game at Meadowbank where we couldnt use the stand due to either a Dog Show or a Beer Festival being on in it. Cant remember which it was but Meadowbank had no access to the stand for two successive games for one of each and one was our visit. Needless to say it rained torrentially for the whole 90 mins when nobody could get under cover.

25 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Dont remember that at Broadwood. A few ruined ny wind but they were played. We did of course have a home game abandoned after 25 mins about 4 or 5 years ago due to high winds. We also had a game postponed at Arbroath due to wind about 20 years ago. Willie Young had David Mathiesin take some practise goal kicks and when he couldnt clear his penalty area he called it off (correctly).

Match wasnt actually off but in the early 90s we had a game at Meadowbank where we couldnt use the stand due to either a Dog Show or a Beer Festival being on in it. Cant remember which it was but Meadowbank had no access to the stand for two successive games for one of each and one was our visit. Needless to say it rained torrentially for the whole 90 mins when nobody could get under cover.

The Broadwood one happened.  I remember getting all the way to the ground before finding out.  January or February '97 I think it must have been.  

That game at Meadowbank would have been Autumn '93 and was a top of the table clash.  I think it was the beer festival that was on when Queens visited.

Does a power cut at the “Global Energy Stadium” count?

I’n sure we had a game called off after 20 mins away to Kilmarnock in the Scottish Cup,back around the times we had Davide Xausa up top, as they couldn’t be arsed turning on the USH

I was talking to a Killie fan that I work with, and he told me that Killie had a game at Meadowbank called off back in the early 90s as the stadium was double booked with a cat show. Can't imagine  there being a more ridicuous reason than that.
Morton had a game at Dumbarton postpoed due to a wedding taking place in the stadium oo, I'm sure.

We've moved a few challenge cup ties due to weddings being booked at the stadium including this season when we played Stranraer on a Friday night.

24 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

Does a power cut at the “Global Energy Stadium” count?

I’n sure we had a game called off after 20 mins away to Kilmarnock in the Scottish Cup,back around the times we had Davide Xausa up top, as they couldn’t be arsed turning on the USH

We had the same game abandoned twice in 2011 for power failing at Palmerston v Ross County. Eventually ordered to replay it at Stirling.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The Broadwood one happened.  I remember getting all the way to the ground before finding out.  January or February '97 I think it must have been.  

That game at Meadowbank would have been Autumn '93 and was a top of the table clash.  I think it was the beer festival that was on when Queens visited.

Bit of research. 1st March 1997 our game at Broadwood was postponed and rearranged 10 days later on 11th March (we lost 2-1). I have no memory of this at all although I would presumably have been there or headed there on the Saturday. Would have been on the Travel Club bus back then. It was a period when I was unable to attend midweek games due to other commitments so I wasn't there when it was played.

A couple seasons back we had a game against Annan abandoned after about 20 mins due to the wind, keeper could hardly clear the box with kicks & for free kicks, corners the ball just kept blowing away. The best part of it was I had my hospitality for player sponsorship that day so the four of us had our meal, drinks etc went to our seats until the ref called it off but when the game was replayed a few weeks later on a Tuesday night we got the full package again at no extra cost so excellent value that season.

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Was that against us? I remember a game getting abandoned at Palmerston not too long after KO and I think that was because of wind?

2 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Was that against us? I remember a game getting abandoned at Palmerston not too long after KO and I think that was because of wind?

Yes, it was against you.

I think there's an argument it should never have started but given it did, for me there was no perceivable worsening in the conditions before Iain Brines decided it was unplayable. Keeper was certainly able to clear his penalty area with goal kicks (unlike that Arbroath game).

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Yes, it was against you.

I think there's an argument it should never have started but given it did, for me there was no perceivable worsening in the conditions before Iain Brines decided it was unplayable. Keeper was certainly able to clear his penalty area with goal kicks (unlike that Arbroath game).

Aye, I remember the chat in the car on the way back that the wind hadn't got any stronger so why abandon a game that he thought was ok to start with? Can only assume that he felt that he'd made the wrong decision allowing it go ahead in the 1st place.

A South Of Scotland League game was postponed because the home teams goalie was allegedly having an affair with the wife of an opponent.
The game was postponed because player safety could not be guaranteed

I was going to post that one, however if it’s the game I’m thinking of it was the goalie’s wife the opponent was having an affair with. The goalie ended up in court for his behaviour.

I think the abandoned Queens game being mentioned was in December 2013. Was a horrendous day, I remember getting soaked walking home from the station and wasn’t a surprise the game got stopped.

I remember driving from Edinburgh to Clydebank in the mid to late 80s and couldn’t get above 50mph on the M8 due to the wind. Probably shouldn’t have been a surprise it got called off but when we got there you could actually hear bits of Kilbowie flapping in the wind. We went to the Multiscreen cinema instead.

14 minutes ago, Stu said:

I was going to post that one, however if it’s the game I’m thinking of it was the goalie’s wife the opponent was having an affair with. The goalie ended up in court for his behaviour.

I think the abandoned Queens game being mentioned was in December 2013. Was a horrendous day, I remember getting soaked walking home from the station and wasn’t a surprise the game got stopped.

You might be right and I am remembering it slightly wrongly. The home team was Crichton

Archived