Playoff Bound United v Play off Bound ICT

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very very bad. A half decent side would have been out of sight today. Inverness missed two or three great chances, plus there was that astonishing block on the line from Durnan. Although the corner which they scored from was never a corner in a million years, as the Inverness player crossed the ball out of play, so God only knows what the linesman was watching. Doesn't excuse hour defending from the corner, which was as awful as we have come to expect. Second half a bit better, and McDonald and McMullan certainly made a difference. The equaliser was a bit lucky as Mikkelsen put away a mishit shot from McDonald. We certainly did not deserve to win the game despite some pressure towards the end.

Our full backs are fucking terrible, and Quinn isn't even as good as that.

The defending in the first half when three United defenders left the ball for each other in their own six yard box will live with me for some time.

The defending in the first half when three United defenders left the ball for each other in their own six yard box will live with me for some time.

I said at the time that you wouldnt see that sort of defending at junior level. What almost compounded it was that when one of them tried to clear it, he shanked it to a Caley player less than 6 yards away before that effort was finally blocked. That situation summed up everything that is wrong with United, nobody wants to step forward and take responsibility for anything

Just now, Twinkle said:

I said at the time that you wouldnt see that sort of defending at junior level. What almost compounded it was that when one of them tried to clear it, he shanked it to a Caley player less than 6 yards away before that effort was finally blocked. That situation summed up everything that is wrong with United, nobody wants to step forward and take responsibility for anything

I very rarely piss myself laughing when watching football, especially at my own team, but I think I laughed for a good few minutes after that farce. Sometimes, it's all you can do.

5 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

I very rarely piss myself laughing when watching football, especially at my own team, but I think I laughed for a good few minutes after that farce. Sometimes, it's all you can do.

So bad it was almost scripted. 

I was wondering if each of the defenders thought one of the others was Harry Lewis, given the similarity of his keeper's garb to that of our outfield players.

But then I came to  my senses and realised I was making excuses for their lack of footballing abilities.

Theres so much wrong with that team that it beggars belief. The keeper is a bombscare for a start. Not only that, he takes forever with his distribution which is often brutal when it finally does happen. The full backs are both woeful. I got some grief when i called out Robson at the start of the season as people were using his age as a defence but he has regressed badly. Murdoch is a waste of a shirt, cant defend and offers nothing going forward. Scobbie looks like he is towing a caravan every time he plays, whilst Durnan alongside him is the only defender i have any time for. He has some mistakes in him but would benefit from a Webster type to play alongside. Im not going to waste any time slating Quinn as hes not worth the effort. Flood is a headless chicken who only knows how to pass the ball sideways and back whilst constantly being caught out of position. Matty Smith is someone who is working hard so im willing to cut him some slack. Billy King is as soft as shite and him being one of the first names on the teamsheet says it all. Stanton is one of those players who blows hot and cold however hes been cold for most of the season. Mikkelsen rarely wins a header and spends most of his time on his arse but every time the ball is in the box he looks dangerous. Just a shame we dont spend too much time in the opponents box as we would rather fanny about with it in our defensive third playing triangles and not going anywhere before being put under pressure and either losing the ball or shanking it in the stand

10 minutes ago, Twinkle said:

Theres so much wrong with that team that it beggars belief. The keeper is a bombscare for a start. Not only that, he takes forever with his distribution which is often brutal when it finally does happen. The full backs are both woeful. I got some grief when i called out Robson at the start of the season as people were using his age as a defence but he has regressed badly. Murdoch is a waste of a shirt, cant defend and offers nothing going forward. Scobbie looks like he is towing a caravan every time he plays, whilst Durnan alongside him is the only defender i have any time for. He has some mistakes in him but would benefit from a Webster type to play alongside. Im not going to waste any time slating Quinn as hes not worth the effort. Flood is a headless chicken who only knows how to pass the ball sideways and back whilst constantly being caught out of position. Matty Smith is someone who is working hard so im willing to cut him some slack. Billy King is as soft as shite and him being one of the first names on the teamsheet says it all. Stanton is one of those players who blows hot and cold however hes been cold for most of the season. Mikkelsen rarely wins a header and spends most of his time on his arse but every time the ball is in the box he looks dangerous. Just a shame we dont spend too much time in the opponents box as we would rather fanny about with it in our defensive third playing triangles and not going anywhere before being put under pressure and either losing the ball or shanking it in the stand

Don’t agree about King, he’s one of the few players who has something to offer.  If he’s guilty of anything it’s being unable to adapt to a team constantly under pressure but is creative and hard work King when we are playing attacking football.

I feel sorry for King, Stanton and Durnan (and McMullan) having to play under Laszlo and slongside this shower of imposters.

Don’t agree about King, he’s one of the few players who has something to offer.  If he’s guilty of anything it’s being unable to adapt to a team constantly under pressure but is creative and hard work King when we are playing attacking football.
I feel sorry for King, Stanton and Durnan (and McMullan) having to play under Laszlo and slongside this shower of imposters.

There was a spell in the game today when King made a c**t of a few things and he then hid for about 15 mins almost refusing to look for the ball. Whilst he has ability, ive no time for shitebags and thats not the sort of player we need in this situation

10 minutes ago, Twinkle said:
14 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

There was a spell in the game today when King made a c**t of a few things and he then hid for about 15 mins almost refusing to look for the ball. Whilst he has ability, ive no time for shitebags and thats not the sort of player we need in this situation

If you’re wanting perfection or anything close to it in a Scottish Championship team I think you will be disappointed.

King is one of our better players and one of half a dozen I would keep if given the chance.

Durnan, McMullan, Fraser, Stanton and Fyvie being the others.  Matty Smith at a push.

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Don’t know what King has been like for you this season but the Championship is the highest he will get imo. Was brutal for us last year. He had moments of brilliance but can’t do it over 90 mins never mind a whole season.

If we don't beat this mob, Laszlo should resign. 
If we win, it's time for everyone to start believing again. The Maureens will drop points at Palmerston.
I'm going for 0-1 to ICT.

How did that work out for you?

3 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Jeez , you still don't think McMullan's an imposter ??

1 hour ago, billyg said:

Jeez , you still don't think McMullan's an imposter ??

Yes, he is. The fact is, however, most of our players are so bad he looks like a decent option. He is reasonably quick and runs forwards in a straight line sometimes. Thats three things more than 5 players we had on the pitch did today.

2 hours ago, PB1994 said:

Don’t know what King has been like for you this season but the Championship is the highest he will get imo. Was brutal for us last year. He had moments of brilliance but can’t do it over 90 mins never mind a whole season.

He is literally the definition of a confidence player. If he gets a clap from the crowd, it energizes him for a few minuites and he becomes the player he should be. Then the good vibes run out and he goes missing  till something good happens again.

When we began to get a grip on the game today, after 70 minuites or so, he looked good, was the centre of our play at times and got into some great positions. Till then, he didnt really get involved.

As Granny says, he is probably worth keeping as we will be down next season. Hopefully our new manager can build a team to get the best of him more often. 

4 hours ago, Twinkle said:

That's the Billy King we saw throughout last season. In fairness to him, he had a fair bit if joy in the 2nd half but he was up against the worst full-back in the league. 

I was amazed at how much space Vigurs was given in the 1st half but United clearly changed things at half-time, closing him down and targeting Seedorf with every attack. While Laszlo deserves credit for seeing what was wrong and changing things, it's interesting that United have seemed less prepared to exploit our weaknesses than most teams in the league, under both managers. Unfortunately, we still have to play Livingston, Morton, St. Mirren and Dumbarton (twice). All of those teams know what to do against us - it's not that difficult.

We're in a relegation scrap. 

Having driven back to Glasgow and promply got pished,  I'll  reserve judgement until tomorrow.*

*it'll not be very positive..... **

** At least the Dees got  beat(en)

My reading of the situation is not that sacking Ray McKinnon was the wrong decision, despite some revisionism I have seen from a few United fans on Twitter. It's just that we appointed the wrong man to replace him. Although, given we appear to be stuck with him, I really hope I'm wrong.

We dominated the first half without ever really threatening to score the goals needed to put us into a comfortable lead. Oakley was incredibly wasteful. Staggering that he gets a free ride from our fans when Baird was crucified any time he missed a good chance. We simply cannot afford to pass up the kinds of chances he did yesterday if we want to get a few more wins on the board. 

United were posted completely missing in the first half but the introduction of McDonald at half time and later on McMullan brought them a lot more joy and they had the measure of us for most of the second 45. I don't really know what their goal was like. They had a throw in about 30 yards from goal and I looked away for a couple of seconds only to turn round when I heard the home fans cheering 

Mulraney and Doran coming on helped us stem the tide a wee bit and get us back on the front foot on a few occasions towards the end of the game but again we didn't create too many clear cut chances to get a winner.

And that is us in a nutshell really, plenty of the ball but very poor in the final third. Polworth was wasteful yesterday when venturing forward but when he gets into those positions there is precious little movement ahead of him to seek out. There's no Billy Mckay type player hanging on the shoulder of the last defender looking to be played in on goal. Our crossing from wide areas is pretty poor and hold up play by the main striker isn't good enough and we turn the ball over before they get support up to assist. 

Defensively however I thought we were pretty decent yesterday, certainly less mistakes compared to Tuesday night and some other games recently. Even without Donaldson I thought we coped quite well with United for the most part despite being under the cosh in the second half. Warren mopped up a lot of attacks but Seedorf defensively was poor. 

Apart from Warren I thought Bell and Tremarco were probably our standouts. Bell brings a real energy to our attack buzzing all over the place to try and support Oakley whilst Tremarco is much more solid at LB than Calder. If we want to win the Challenge Cup next weekend we will need to up our performance again but I'm not too sure if some of these players have much more to give.

17 minutes ago, RiG said:

We dominated the first half without ever really threatening to score the goals needed to put us into a comfortable lead. Oakley was incredibly wasteful. Staggering that he gets a free ride from our fans when Baird was crucified any time he missed a good chance. We simply cannot afford to pass up the kinds of chances he did yesterday if we want to get a few more wins on the board. 

United were posted completely missing in the first half but the introduction of McDonald at half time and later on McMullan brought them a lot more joy and they had the measure of us for most of the second 45. I don't really know what their goal was like. They had a throw in about 30 yards from goal and I looked away for a couple of seconds only to turn round when I heard the home fans cheering 

Mulraney and Doran coming on helped us stem the tide a wee bit and get us back on the front foot on a few occasions towards the end of the game but again we didn't create too many clear cut chances to get a winner.

And that is us in a nutshell really, plenty of the ball but very poor in the final third. Polworth was wasteful yesterday when venturing forward but when he gets into those positions there is precious little movement ahead of him to seek out. There's no Billy Mckay type player hanging on the shoulder of the last defender looking to be played in on goal. Our crossing from wide areas is pretty poor and hold up play by the main striker isn't good enough and we turn the ball over before they get support up to assist. 

Defensively however I thought we were pretty decent yesterday, certainly less mistakes compared to Tuesday night and some other games recently. Even without Donaldson I thought we coped quite well with United for the most part despite being under the cosh in the second half. Warren mopped up a lot of attacks but Seedorf defensively was poor. 

Apart from Warren I thought Bell and Tremarco were probably our standouts. Bell brings a real energy to our attack buzzing all over the place to try and support Oakley whilst Tremarco is much more solid at LB than Calder. If we want to win the Challenge Cup next weekend we will need to up our performance again but I'm not too sure if some of these players have much more to give.

How was Austin when he came on?

Archived