Pars v Morton, Sat 18th March

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Appalling game of football. Only bit of entertainment was the announcement that apparently over 4000 were there :lol: 

I don’t know. Announcing Higginbotham as man of the match was certainly up there!

Thought we played some lovely stuff at times but without a real cutting edge. One off the bar (where he should have scored) and one off the post suggests we were a wee bit unlucky but in truth there wasn't much in it. Morton were time wasting from 10 minutes into the game and had 10 men behind the ball for the whole second half but it's up to us to try and break them down. Not having a striker on the bench didn't help. Ashcroft was my man of the match although it was hard to choose any one from the two teams in truth.

I'm glad I made it through the match without getting hypothermia, after choosing Higgy as PotM the sponsors must of spent a fortune on the bar.

Pretty dull 0-0 Martin and Ashcroft again looked decent but were never really tested and Robinson had the easiest clean sheet of his career today.

3 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Is Gaston from Antarctica? He's hard as nails.

Never known him wear a long-sleeved top, no matter the conditions.

Of course, maybe we're just too tight to buy him one.

After recent weeks we needed to steady the ship and a point is a decent result. Even if the performance wasnt great. 

Hopefully 6 points in our next 2 games helps cement our place in the playoffs.

Just keep the same team please duffy and hopefully they find that wee bit of form needed to see us over the line.

All a bit meh. Like Tuesday, we weren't troubled defensively but we didn't have a cutting edge. We played some decent stuff at times but we didn't find the finall pass, or players ready to take advantage, of cross balls enough. Higgy and McManus particularly tried to make things happen IMO but it just didn't come together for us. Beadling should've scored when he hit the bar.
Point suits Morton more than us. By FT, was just happy to be heading home for a heat. Fecking Baltic watching that yesterday.

On 3/17/2018 at 19:14, Salvo Montalbano said:

Morton were time wasting from 10 minutes into the game 

No we weren't, you absolute fantasist. :lol:

If the ball is blowing around all over the place then Gaston and any other self-respecting goalkeeper is entitled to respot it before taking a goal kick, despite the tantrums of the home fans about it yesterday. We got more out of that match with the point than we put into it, as the team was rancid in the second half and not much better in the first. Every side will have an off day but our failure to create anything of note in that period is a concern.

With five home games to play in our last seven there can be no excuse for failing to reach the play-offs from this position. 

Can someone explain our tactics and team selection yesterday?

Ok defensively it was sound but going forward it was completely unbalanced and disjointed plus the subs bench limited us immensely.

Three defensive type midfielders and one right winger? Play a winger who can't cross alongside a right full back who struggles also?

Play your fastest most aggressive striker furthest forward so he gets the ball and then has nobody to pass to?

Play a penalty box poacher behind another striker?

Leave Andy Ryan out then play a winger upfront?

Why not play Aird from the start and give some balance? Martin was getting forward but was isolated.

Corners and set pieces. Craigen is excellent at corners, nope let Higgy make a mess of them....again and again.

Why not play Higgy more centrally? Just try it once ffs. Give Aird a decent chance, he always adds quality and looks dangerous to me.

Talk about making it hard for yourself.

Yesterday's game was never going to be season-defining but it would go a long way to deciding who finished in the playoffs, IMO. 

The Pars came out the blocks fast, put some pressure on and forced Gaston into a good early stop. 

Morton built their way back into the match and had a couple of efforts before the game became bogged down. Similarly to a lot of our matches recently, we've been reasonably solid defensively but lacking a real cutting edge. 

Second half we started brightly again but didn't do much with our possssion once more. 

We totally dominated proceedings yesterday with Robinson not having a save to make and Morton looking as if they were happy with a point. Jim Duffy said he was "delighted" post-match. 

It's certainly a better point for the Ton than it is for Dunfermline but we aren't out of it just yet.. A few more twists and turns to go but we must beat Brechin on Tuesday to keep any hope alive.  

My match report and comments from AJ and JD can be found, here.

11 hours ago, dafcburty said:

Yesterday's game was never going to be season-defining but it would go a long way to deciding who finished in the playoffs, IMO. 

The Pars came out the blocks fast, put some pressure on and forced Gaston into a good early stop. 

Morton built their way back into the match and had a couple of efforts before the game became bogged down. Similarly to a lot of our matches recently, we've been reasonably solid defensively but lacking a real cutting edge. 

Second half we started brightly again but didn't do much with our possssion once more. 

We totally dominated proceedings yesterday with Robinson not having a save to make and Morton looking as if they were happy with a point. Jim Duffy said he was "delighted" post-match. 

It's certainly a better point for the Ton than it is for Dunfermline but we aren't out of it just yet.. A few more twists and turns to go but we must beat Brechin on Tuesday to keep any hope alive.  

My match report and comments from AJ and JD can be found, here.

The fact you have Brechin to play twice is huge for you, we only have them once.

It effectively makes the gap 1 point with 6 games each for both of us once you take away the 3 Brechin games. ( If any of us fail to pick up 3 points against Brechin, we won't deserve to finish 4th)

Of those 6 games,, we have 4 at home which would usually give us an advantage but our home form has been poor and we have been much better on the road. Our two away games are  away to the top 2 right enough. League will be over by the time we play St Mirren , but  they will be getting the trophy that day so difficult game to pick up points.

On the other hand, your home form is pretty decent and would expect you to win all your home games but you have only won 3 on the road so  you would imagine you will struggle to pick up many away wins.

Can  see this going down to the last day.

On Queens, would be surprised if they managed to nick 4th now; a few more points back, not as good a goal difference and don't have an "easy" game on paper for the next 7 games. By easy i mean, no game against the part time sides (of course no game is easy as Duffy points out when we play Brechin). They have Brechin on the last day, but i fully expect them to be too far back by then.

6 hours ago, madton said:

The fact you have Brechin to play twice is huge for you, we only have them once.

It effectively makes the gap 1 point with 6 games each for both of us once you take away the 3 Brechin games. ( If any of us fail to pick up 3 points against Brechin, we won't deserve to finish 4th)

Of those 6 games,, we have 4 at home which would usually give us an advantage but our home form has been poor and we have been much better on the road. Our two away games are  away to the top 2 right enough. League will be over by the time we play St Mirren , but  they will be getting the trophy that day so difficult game to pick up points.

On the other hand, your home form is pretty decent and would expect you to win all your home games but you have only won 3 on the road so  you would imagine you will struggle to pick up many away wins.

Can  see this going down to the last day.

On Queens, would be surprised if they managed to nick 4th now; a few more points back, not as good a goal difference and don't have an "easy" game on paper for the next 7 games. By easy i mean, no game against the part time sides (of course no game is easy as Duffy points out when we play Brechin). They have Brechin on the last day, but i fully expect them to be too far back by then.

I don't disagree with anything you've said there tbh. I've just got this nagging feeling about tomorrow's game against Brechin. It'll he a team wanting their first win, a team with no pressure at a difficult venue on a tough surface against a team who have struggled to score of late and just win. The longer it goes at 0-0, the worse it'll be for us. We need an early goal tomorrow evening to settle the nerves and kick on. 

1 hour ago, dafcburty said:

I don't disagree with anything you've said there tbh. I've just got this nagging feeling about tomorrow's game against Brechin. It'll he a team wanting their first win, a team with no pressure at a difficult venue on a tough surface against a team who have struggled to sviee of late and just win. The longer it goes at 0-0, the worse it'll be for us. We need an early goal tomorrow evening to settle the nerves and kick on. 

We can't even spell "score" any more it has been so barren lately. 

Archived