What Happens if Cove Go Up?

honestman54

HFL dividing in two as proposed and voted against would have facilitated growth and allowed teams to join the set up. Doesn’t seem to me like the status quo north of the Tay will change any time soon now.

5 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

SFA proposed a "Highland Regional Division" and a Lowland equivalent, each of 10 clubs; rump HL, EOSL and SOSL sitting under.

This wasn't necessarily to trim the schedule - indeed logically both would have involved 36 games like SFL.

HL opposed this and asked to become feeder itself.

LL was then formed in its own right, but has always worked to 16-club ceiling.

Floodlight rule is HL-specific.

Why is the SFA so keen on 10 team leagues? Never met a fan who wouldn't prefer 16 or bigger.

On 2018/04/03 at 22:20, HibeeJibee said:

Suspect was more about "mirroring" SFL, plus the lower the total the more easily attained.

Also would have meant better playing standards given there would have been no danger of Hawick Royal Albert or Fort William getting anywhere near the fifth tier that way.

On 03/04/2018 at 17:24, Enigma said:

HFL dividing in two as proposed and voted against would have facilitated growth and allowed teams to join the set up. Doesn’t seem to me like the status quo north of the Tay will change any time soon now.

A split would hopefully have reduced the number of ridiculous scorelines as there is clearly a huge gap between the top and bottom teams.

Meanwhile Cove win on Wednesday and Fraserburgh lose so Cove only need 5 points from six games to guarantee the title.

11 hours ago, blueone said:

A split would hopefully have reduced the number of ridiculous scorelines as there is clearly a huge gap between the top and bottom teams.

Meanwhile Cove win on Wednesday and Fraserburgh lose so Cove only need 5 points from six games to guarantee the title.

Yuh, 4 points will likely do it, their goal difference is 100 compared to The Broch's mere 64...

The fall off in quality is cliff face steep

Playing 3/4 times in a pro league is one thing, money matters and all that, but in an essentially recreational league? Not so much. Maybe being part of the pyramid changes that but...y'know

12 team league? Play 3 times? ... meh...

15 hours ago, blueone said:

3 hours ago, EdTheDuck said:

The fall off in quality is cliff face steep

It is a big difference but, Fort William aside, most teams have their good and bad times. From the bottom 6 in the current table I've seen Clach and Keith win the league in my 25+ years watching the Highland League. Turriff, also currently in the bottom 6, were runners up 2-3 years ago. Brora are now one of the stronger teams but struggled for some years.

17 minutes ago, Northboy said:

It is a big difference but, Fort William aside, most teams have their good and bad times. From the bottom 6 in the current table I've seen Clach and Keith win the league in my 25+ years watching the Highland League. Turriff, also currently in the bottom 6, were runners up 2-3 years ago. Brora are now one of the stronger teams but struggled for some years.

Rothes doing well this season considering there were doubts about them finishing the season 2 years ago.

The freak scorelines aren't that common, it's just that when they occur they're ridiculous, like Brora scudding Fort 16-0. However, off the top of my head, Buckie, Brora (before the money), Huntly, Clach, Rothes, Fort have all conceded double figures in recent seasons. I'm sure Clach both scored AND conceded double figures in the same season. I meant to do a thread on Fitba North about each teams record ass-kicking, but haven't got round to it yet. 

Most common scorelines this season (as of mid-March)...

3-0 (17 occurrences)
1-2 (15)
1-1 (12)
1-0, 0-2, 2-2, 2-3, 3-2 (11 each)
4-1 (10)

Games won by...

1 goal - 63
2 goals - 40
3 goals - 40
4 goals - 27
More than 4 goals - 36

Edited by Jimmy Shaker

1 hour ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

The freak scorelines aren't that common, it's just that when they occur they're ridiculous, like Brora scudding Fort 16-0. However, off the top of my head, Buckie, Brora (before the money), Huntly, Clach, Rothes, Fort have all conceded double figures in recent seasons. I'm sure Clach both scored AND conceded double figures in the same season. I meant to do a thread on Fitba North about each teams record ass-kicking, but haven't got round to it yet. 

Most common scorelines this season (as of mid-March)...

3-0 (17 occurrences)
1-2 (15)
1-1 (12)
1-0, 0-2, 2-2, 2-3, 3-2 (11 each)
4-1 (10)

Games won by...

1 goal - 63
2 goals - 40
3 goals - 40
4 goals - 27
More than 4 goals - 36

I'm assuming the majority of those 36 games 4 or more wins are against a handful of clubs?

16 hours ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

I'm sure Clach both scored AND conceded double figures in the same season.

That rings a bell, maybe from 2/3 years ago - Clach were beaten heavily by Brora but thumped Rothes in same season if memory serves.

On 05/04/2018 at 01:08, blueone said:

The gulf between the top 2 or three and the bottom 2 or three is indeed immense but in between the games are mainly competitive and unpredictable with middle table teams often taking points off the leaders, other than teams like Cove and Brora at their peak. A middling side like Buckie Thistle beat Cove to the Championship last season.Most leagues have the same sides at the top year after year, there is more change in the Highland league than most.

On 06/04/2018 at 10:48, Jimmy Shaker said:

Clach beat Rothes 12-2 at home in August, and lost 1-10 at home to Brora on Boxing Day.

Escaped from family stuff for the second half of the Brora game. Believe it or not Clach weren't that bad, Brora were on fire though.

8 hours ago, welshbairn said:

The gulf between the top 2 or three and the bottom 2 or three is indeed immense but in between the games are mainly competitive and unpredictable with middle table teams often taking points off the leaders, other than teams like Cove and Brora at their peak. A middling side like Buckie Thistle beat Cove to the Championship last season.Most leagues have the same sides at the top year after year, there is more change in the Highland league than most.

Cove Rangers are the new  HFL champions ! Congratulations

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/03/2018 at 15:26, honestman54 said:

What morons you all are.  I thought this was friendly place to discuss all parts of the SPFL.

I asked a simple question because I was interested in how the LOWER parts of the SPFL worked.  It was a genuine question as Highland League and their clubs have shown disdain for the whole set up.  Well as in previous years I hope the Lowland league clubs cream you.  

Good luck with that.

• 2 weeks later...