Sectarianism

8 minutes ago, DM5 said:

So let me get this right, *** is allowed because it doesn’t mean Protestant it only refers to Union Jack waving Rangers/Hearts supporters?

So, by that same logic, f****n would be allowed if it only applied in relation to tri-colour waving “Irish republican” Celtic/Hibs supporters and had no reference to their religion? 

I don’t think the use of ‘f****n’ at the football is supposed to encompass ‘wee Jeanie’ who goes to Mass but has no political leanings either way.

For the record, I don’t care if someone calls me an ‘Orange’ or ‘H*n b*****d’. I was raised Protestant (although I’m not really religious at all these days), have no issue with the Royal Family, have no issue with being part of a United Kingdom of Great Britain therefore I probably tick the boxes for what someone  would call ‘Orange’ or ‘***’.

But I do have a problem with Celtic and their supporters then trying to say that the word f****n means more than it does. Yes, it’s derogatory but it’s all just about context and is probably meant with the same level of derogation as ‘H*n’ or ‘Orange’ b*****d.

I’ve never associated the word ‘f****n’ with simple Catholicism. Nobody would call a Spaniard or Italian Catholic (with no Irish Republican leanings) a f****n. But an Irish tri-colour waving, Celtic top wearing, Irish Republican supporting Protestant (if such a person exists) would be more likely called a f****n.

I believe there is such a thing as a 90 minute bigot. Human beings are tribal and if you find yourself in a 40,000 strong tribe for an afternoon in the heat of it all you will more than likely get caught up in it. But just because someone joined in with ‘The Billy Boys’ at the football doesn’t mean they have a deep-seated prejudice against Catholics. Similarly, just because someone joined in with a ‘rebel song’ and shouted ‘O****e b******d at no one in particular at the football doesn’t mean they have a deep-seated hatred of Protestants. So can we all just stop with faux indignation?

I’m not saying there aren’t people with a prejudice but that isn’t going to go away just because they can’t say things in public. It’s only going to go away through education and I don’t think that would be undone by singing songs at the football.

^^^a walking, talking advert for strict liability.

6 minutes ago, sjc said:

^^^a walking, talking advert for strict liability.

On what basis?

Also, I never said that I use any of those terms or sing the songs. But I go to the football and talk to other people and understand the context of what they do.

7 minutes ago, Romeo said:

Yeah, we can tell.

Stupid ***

Yeah, when the football is on I do despise Celtic supporters but not because of their religion but because of their team. But after the game you are just another person.

Just now, DM5 said:

Yeah, when the football is on I do despise Celtic supporters but not because of their religion but because of their team. But after the game you are just another person.

You are an idiot mate.

On what basis?
Also, I never said that I use any of those terms or sing the songs. But I go to the football and talk to other people and understand the context of what they do.
If you have anything to say other than religion and sectarianism aswell as any other form of bigotry have no place in football, without excuses, qualification or whataboutery then you are of course, a fanny.

1 minute ago, Romeo said:

You are an idiot mate.

Please explain? Otherwise these are just empty words with no understanding (willing or not) of what is being discussed. You just have a belief and nobody will change it.

Just now, DM5 said:

Please explain? Otherwise these are just empty words with no understanding (willing or not) of what is being discussed. You just have a belief and nobody will change it.

You're not wrong there ***

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

If you have anything to say other than religion and sectarianism aswell as any other form of bigotry have no place in football, without excuses, qualification or whataboutery then you are of course, a fanny.

‘Bigotry: intolerance towards those who hold a different opinion from oneself’

I’ve merely tried to put across a different viewpoint, with no offence aimed at anybody,and been called a ‘fanny’ and an ‘idiot’ by you and others. That’s literally the definition of bigotry.

2 minutes ago, DM5 said:

‘Bigotry: intolerance towards those who hold a different opinion from oneself’

I’ve merely tried to put across a different viewpoint, with no offence aimed at anybody,and been called a ‘fanny’ and an ‘idiot’ by you and others. That’s literally the definition of bigotry.

So calling someone a "fanny" is bigoted?

Ya *** fanny

You should also learn the meaning of the word "literally"

Edited by Romeo

4 minutes ago, DM5 said:

On what basis?

On the basis of making excuses for morons singing sectarian songs.

8 minutes ago, Romeo said:

So calling someone a "fanny" is bigoted?

Ya *** fanny

You should also learn the meaning of the word "literally"

See, this is the point I’m trying to make, it’s not the word but the intention behind the word.

Of course the word ‘fanny’ isn’t bigoted (or sectarian to stay in the context of this discussion). But it’s used to cause offence, to call me a fanny is intended to be offensive, because you didn’t like or can’t tolerate the opinion I stated.

Therefore you were literally acting in a bigoted way.

1 minute ago, DM5 said:

See, this is the point I’m trying to make, it’s not the word but the intention behind the word.

Of course the word ‘fanny’ isn’t bigoted (or sectarian to stay in the context of this discussion). But it’s used to cause offence, to call me a fanny is intended to be offensive, because you didn’t like or can’t tolerate the opinion I stated.

Therefore you were literally acting in a bigoted way.

You said calling someone a "fanny" was the "literal" definition of bigotry.

It isn't and you are a fanny.

6 minutes ago, Romeo said:

You said calling someone a "fanny" was the "literal" definition of bigotry.

It isn't and you are a fanny.

No, what I wrote was: “I’ve merely tried to put across a different viewpoint, with no offence aimed at anybody,and been called a ‘fanny’ and an ‘idiot’ by you and others. That’s literally the definition of bigotry”

I had, incorrectly, presumed you had the intelligence to comprehend written English and could understand that literally calling someone a fanny clearly isn’t bigoted. But calling someone a fanny, or any other insulting name, because they have a different opinion from you is literally bigoted. You insulted me because I have a different opinion - that is bigoted.

32 minutes ago, sjc said:

On the basis of making excuses for morons singing sectarian songs.

So if in, for example, The Billy Boys the ‘F’ word was replaced with ‘Green yin’ that would be tolerable (aside from the crap word replacement) because it doesn’t have the ‘F’ word? Even if everybody still meant the same thing?

1 hour ago, DM5 said:

So if in, for example, The Billy Boys the ‘F’ word was replaced with ‘Green yin’ that would be tolerable (aside from the crap word replacement) because it doesn’t have the ‘F’ word? Even if everybody still meant the same thing?

Why would you even want to sing a song associated with sectarianism, regardless of word changes?

Just be honest, you, your Club and the vast majority of its fans don't want to change their sectarian ways.