Sectarianism

So if I say that the state shouldn't be in the business of funding denominational schools and that the 19thC trend was towards increasingly secular schooling as evidenced by the absorption of Episcopalian schools in to the state system then my assertion is invalidated because I support a deid club?  
I doubt many posters would disagree with you.

Well swerved Kincy, well swerved!

2 hours ago, Tartantony said:

I’m sure then you would support the Germans living in Poland performing a pro Nazi march every year?

I don't know a single German who would want to, so that is a ridiculous comparison. People tend to forget that the first country that the Nazis invaded was Germany itself.

No wonder they call us Insel Affen.

37 minutes ago, IggyStooge said:

I don't know a single German who would want to, so that is a ridiculous comparison. People tend to forget that the first country that the Nazis invaded was Germany itself.

Only if you don't understand the meaning of the word, 'invade'.

Guest Moomintroll
The Old Firm ladies and gentlemen.
I am confident that overt displays of Nazism are banned in Germany & the Polish Authorities would crack down equally hard on it ( outside football stadiums of course but that is an argument for another day).

11 hours ago, DurrantsKneeIsJelly said:

A geographical legacy I must add. ‘Sectarian’ schooling only real occurs in the West of Scotland. Go to any Catholic school from Stirling eastwards and you’ll find that they all operate as Catholic schools but have high proportions of non Catholics enrolled at them. One case in point is St.John’s in Perth. The region’s only Catholic school where Catholic pupils amount to less than 50% of the cohort. Many religions are represented there; Muslim, Seikh, Protestant and many non religious children. The school ethos is based on basic human values of love and respect, a very different kettle of fish from their counterparts in the west. Catholic schools in Glasgow still cater for predominately strong Catholic communities. Anyway, what’s wrong with religious schools? As long as they are all encompassing there is no problem. In the west, for every Catholic school there’s usually a state school nearby that is mainly Protestant. It’s this sense of division that I should the problem. As a teacher myself who has worked in a string of schools across Scotland, including St.John’s and many other state and Catholic schools, this is the view I have built up after working in them.

this precisely!  I applaude the recent shift towards shared campus schools as it helps prevent the sense of division that the separate schools promoted.  There is a perfect example of 1970s thinking in Coatbridge, where St Stephens Primary School and Sikeside Primary School sit side by side, mirror images of each other, yet divided by two fences and a utility access road, it even looks like the type of  segregation barrier seen at football matches.  How must that seem to two five year olds that have been freinds since they could walk, suddenly finding that for much of their day they find  barriers created by adult authorities between them, and we still have to ask why there are sectarian problems

I think faith schools have long had their day buy but to suggest they are a significant problem with sectarianism doesn't stand up. England/ Wales generally have no issues with these schools. 

If I had my way I would bin religious leanings in all schools. Having went to supposedly  ‘non-denominational’ schools when living in Scotland you find they really aren’t. I would force more private schools in to having a higher number of scholarships.

Nope. Wouldn’t support Pro Nazi groups myself but if the law in Poland allows Pro Nazi groups to demonstrate and march then I would fully support their right to march if that’s the law in that country. Personally, I hate Nazis. Personally I hate right wing groups. I’m also not a fan of the OO and even the hardcore Republicans. The difference between myself and you is that whilst I may not like a group, I can apply the rule of law to them if that’s what the country they exist in says. Instead you try the old binary argument approach to try and class me as a Nazi supporter just because I can respect a groups right to protest whilst not liking them very much. It’s either a case of the law being applied right across the board or not at all. The line is drawn however when the government of the country proscribes a group as illegal. That’s when it becomes different. Maybe you could enlighten us on your knowledge of Polish law instead of trying naively to categorise people with different opinions to be on one side of the fence or the other and in the process making yourself look like a complete cock.

You’ve fair lost your head there eh!

You were moaning about not being able to celebrate your Irish history because you can’t attend a republican march and gave the example of you being able to go to Polish events without any hassle. Why should you be able to celebrate one and not the other? It’s simple really, one is offensive to no one and the other is extremely offensive to half the city and rightly should get to f**k. If you want to celebrate your Irish history then go to the pub and get pished on the 17th March like normal people.