Sectarianism

On 5/29/2018 at 15:40, Piracy said:

'***' was originally attributed to the marauding hordes of old Attila running amok and kicking the shit out of poor old domesticated and civilised people.

Used as a derogatory term to describe the German army during World War 1 for similar reasons to Attila I believe, in fact just like the Rangers hordes in Manchester.

Startling similarities being honest.

The British troops who put down the 1916 Easter uprising were also known as "Britannia's ****". Immortalised in the lament "The Foggy Dew." 

1 hour ago, Shotgun said:

The British troops who put down the 1916 Easter uprising were also known as "Britannia's ****". Immortalised in the lament "The Foggy Dew." 

Lyrics here: https://www.lyricskid.com/lyrics/wolfe-tones-lyrics/the-foggy-dew-lyrics.html

Conundrum.  Should we regard the use of The H Word and The F Word as perfectly acceptable today since they both appear in some sentimental South Ireland dirge?  I think not.  I'd like to believe that Scotland has matured as a society even if a few recidivists are holding us back.

• 2 weeks later...

At least Rangers fans are now celebrating all things Dutch at Rangers with the new top they are snapping up for a cool 99 euros to celebrate William of Orange.... a step towards ridding themselves of the sectarian scourge once and for all - as they honour an agent and paid lackey of Pope Innocent XI. 

3 hours ago, LastDitchTackle said:

At least Rangers fans are now celebrating all things Dutch at Rangers with the new top they are snapping up for a cool 99 euros to celebrate William of Orange.... a step towards ridding themselves of the sectarian scourge once and for all - as they honour an agent and paid lackey of Pope Innocent XI. 

Same old Scotzine....

• 1 month later...
On 3/15/2018 at 09:47, kingjoey said:

Here’s part of the problem. I’m using Celtic as an example because it’s the most recent game against one of the “Big Two” that I have attended. Two separate things happened at Pittodrie that day. Shay Logan kicked the ball off Scott Brown, and the vast majority of the 2,000 Celtic fans sang about joining the IRA three or four times during the match. Afterwards, Brendan Rodgers had a go at Logan as being a bad example for young supporters. However, no mention that the the Celtic fans singing about joining an illegal organisation is a bad example for young supporters. It’s the deafening silence from clubs that is a major problem. For any club whose supporters sing sectarian songs during games, these clubs should be coming out after EVERY match and saying that it is unacceptable. Every game, no exceptions. By keeping silent, these clubs are in effect saying that it’s ok to sing their utter bile, week in, week out.

Are The IRA or IRA songs sectarian though? And which IRA?

Sure many, maybe even most, of those people singing those songs would be doing so for sectarian reasons.... but it's a hop, skip and a jump to label the singers of that sectarian.

Would be great if sport and politics could be kept apart but in the real world that is not possible.

The solution to this mess is science, when clear sectarian bigots are found, remove their ability to procreate so their disease can't be spread to the next generation. simple.

To find a green bigot, all you have to do is start singing "roamin in the" and see if they finish it for you.

7 minutes ago, Booker-T said:

Would be great if sport and politics could be kept apart but in the real world that is not possible.

I've been to loads of sporting events where I didn't see any political actions taking place (or at least I genuinely wasn't aware of them).  Just sayin'.

16 hours ago, Booker-T said:

It seems to be possible for the other 40/42 SPFL sides.

16 hours ago, Booker-T said:

Are The IRA or IRA songs sectarian though? And which IRA?

Sure many, maybe even most, of those people singing those songs would be doing so for sectarian reasons.... but it's a hop, skip and a jump to label the singers of that sectarian.

The solution to this mess is science, when clear sectarian bigots are found, remove their ability to procreate so their disease can't be spread to the next generation. simple.

To find a green bigot, all you have to do is start singing "roamin in the" and see if they finish it for you.

Standard Celtic supporter answer, in not admitting that, whether the songs are about The IRA, IRA or IRA, they are sectarian . If Aberdeen fans sing about Jimmy Savile, Ian Durrant or any other such rubbish, I will condemn them, but Celtic fans are unable to see what everyone else does, in that songs which have nothing, and I mean nothing, to do with football are not welcome  my team’s football ground.