Motherwell v Aberdeen Scottish Cup Semi Final

welldaft

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Burrows confirming on Twitter we're likely to be taking roughly the same number as went to the LC semi against Rangers. "Well over double our average home support."

Nice to see him taking a shot at the Daily Record on his TL too.

As for the captain chat, I'd say it'll be either Carson or Tait.

2 hours ago, Frank Grimes said:

Are there any financial incentives for Carson being Captain, however?

Otherwise he might not be interested 

Nah - nothing like that and it's just a ceremonial thing - the main stuff a Captain normally does is behind the scenes I'd guess and this will be for one game.

There's always been a pecking order and because we've had so many long-serving players (eg it used to be Lasley->Hammell->McManus), it's not usually an issue - but this season, we don't have any of them left. At the club now, my guess would be McHugh -> Hartley -> Carson -> Tait - but who knows?

Burrows confirming on Twitter we're likely to be taking roughly the same number as went to the LC semi against Rangers. "Well over double our average home support."

Nice to see him taking a shot at the Daily Record on his TL too.

As for the captain chat, I'd say it'll be either Carson or Tait.

Piss poor stuff from the Daily Record. The absence of an ideally-sized stadium of around 30-35 thousand capacity means that there’s a choice of hosting *this* kind of game game at Pittodrie/Easter Road/Tynecastle and leave a few thousand disappointed at not getting tickets, or keep the game at Hampden and have the usual “half empty” pish spouted from the Old Firm-tugging rags like the Daily Record et al.

Kudos to Burrows for sticking the boot into these c***s. Another reason to have a shit tonne of respect for that man.

"Motherwell sell 7000-odd tickets" is about as far away from being a marmalade dropper as you can get but it's the perfect example of how (some parts of) the press in this country cover the game generally and especially non-OF stuff - a relentlessly negative drip feed that basically yawns and says "we can't be fucked, can we do something about Celtic instead?".  I don't like a lot about the coverage of the game down south as it veers too much in the opposite direction - but at least they try to talk things up once in a while.

Motherwell have been in the top flight for over 30 years - for a perennially unfashionable town club, we're actually quite a familiar thing in Scottish football and so the size (and limitations) of our support can come as a surprise to precisely no-one - not even a Daily Record tea-boy that writes 300 word "articles" with no byline. When we finished 3rd-2nd-2nd and had a great team, our crowd went up a few hundred, when we were in the relegation grubber soon after, it went down a few hundred - but basically it was the same people - there is no fluctuation - that's it. The thing that both holds us back and sustains us as a club is the fact that we have one of the most hype-resistant supports going - based on the performance of the team, we only vary in states of grumpiness, not in numbers. 

tl;dr: f**k the Record.

Crowd wanking is a sign of an inferiority complex.  It's nearly always driven by the idea that other countries are looking at our big games and care about the crowd, there's always something of a "Scottish football humiliated again!" in these stories.

So, two clubs who have home average attendances totalling about 17,000 are scheduled to take 20,000+ to a game that kicks off at 12:15pm on a Saturday and is live on two different channels.

However, because the game is a stadium that neither club had a choice in, the Daily Record decides to have a thinly veiled dig at the number of empty seats whilst squeezing in a line about it being "packed" for Sunday's game.

An absolute rag.  Hopefully the paper, and Keith Jackson, gets launched into oblivion in the very near future.

Spot on from Burrows on twitter. He chats a lot of sense. 

Fuckin old firm fans justifying their existence because there's more of them. Desperately trying to discredit other teams because there's none of them. Dons fans are guilty of it too. It's ridiculous. Just enjoy yourself and stop comparing your support to others. The pitch is what matters. 

Fuckin Dandies. Intae these weegie b*****ds.

21 hours ago, dezz said:

I had completely deleted the Corrigan game and the 2-1 against Rangers from my memory. What a boot in the stones that semi against Celtic was as we bossed them the whole game.

Unfortunately that means my semi final record isn’t as good as I thought but still not bad. W3 L2 F10 A6.

We really didn't 'boss' Celtic that night bar for the first 20-25 minutes when we obviously got ourselves into the lead. As soon as they equalised you knew it would only end one way and the winner was coming the entire second half. The timing and the manner of the eventual winner was sickening though.

I think tomorrow has the potential to blow that out of the water in terms of sickeners.

14 minutes ago, MJC said:

We really didn't 'boss' Celtic that night bar for the first 20-25 minutes when we obviously got ourselves into the lead. As soon as they equalised you knew it would only end one way and the winner was coming the entire second half. The timing and the manner of the eventual winner was sickening though.

I think tomorrow has the potential to blow that out of the water in terms of sickeners.

In what way? Aberdeen are comfortably a better team than us, so getting beat by them wouldn't really qualify as a sickener unless it's a last min goal or a refereeing f**k-up.

My memory of that semi final was that Celtic were totally insipid - I don't remember us being under the cosh and that was one of the reasons it was hard to take in the end.

The nerves are starting to kick in now.  Didn't think they would appear this early.

I'll not lie, I'd Kevin Keegan style LOVE IT if we won this game tomorrow.  A Scottish Cup Final day oot would be a magic way to kick-off the summer.

I sure as f**k hope the winner of this game goes on to win the trophy, so even if it were to go Aberdeen's way, I'd be backing them in the Final.

Archived