Motherwell v Aberdeen Scottish Cup Semi Final

welldaft

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, anotherchance said:

What’s the chat for stands for this one, Well in the East stand side and us in the West stand side?

I always thought Motherwell were a bit more Rangersy* so Abergrheen in the East?

(West is easier for prinks tho)

I'm looking forward to this as it's a ' winnable' Semi Final and Semi Finals/trips to Hampden don't come around too often for us.

I hope against hope that we win but sadly I don't think we will and I actually think it'll be a bit of a heartbreaker with Aberdeen winning on penalties again. As I said last night, I think the big Hampden pitch will favour Aberdeen's game on the day but they are no world beaters, but minus Moult I don't think we have what it takes to put them to the sword and I can only see one winner*.

*Feel free to bump this and call me for everything come 3pm on the 14th April though.

Shame that both clubs haven't got together and pushed for Easter Road. But I suspect Motherwell probably want it at Hampden and Aberdeen just don't give that much of a toss to rock the apple cart.

Shame that both clubs haven't got together and pushed for Easter Road. But I suspect Motherwell probably want it at Hampden and Aberdeen just don't give that much of a toss to rock the apple cart.

For me I’d only want it played in Edinburgh if it was a 3pm ko, like the 2014 league cup semi. As a lunchtime ko in Edinburgh is just as bad

Guest Bob Mahelp
53 minutes ago, 2pac said:

For me I’d only want it played in Edinburgh if it was a 3pm ko, like the 2014 league cup semi. As a lunchtime ko in Edinburgh is just as bad

An 18K crowd at Easter Road or Tynecastle would give a better atmosphere than the same number rattling around in an almost empty Hampden.

The semi at Hampden against Morton last year with 16k there was utterly soulless and devoid of atmosphere. A miserable 90 minutes aside from the fact that we won.

See this "I wish they'd change it to Easter Road" chat...bollocks to that. 

That would, in my opinion, give Aberdeen a massive advantage as they would have the majority of the ground and in a more compact venue then it would be like a home game for them. At least in a half empty Hampden they won't enjoy the luxury of having their support right on top of the players.

Apart from that it's a Scottish Cup Semi Final and it SHOULD be Hampden, no debate. We don't get there often enough so just enjoy it when we are. We'll be at Easter Road next season, I don't know about Hampden though.

We played Hearts in a semi at Easter rd that was 'like a home game for them'
Didn't turn out to bad if I remember rightly.
We play in a half empty ground most home games anyway so it shouldn't be a factor for us.

32 minutes ago, mjw said:

We played Hearts in a semi at Easter rd that was 'like a home game for them'
Didn't turn out to bad if I remember rightly.
We play in a half empty ground most home games anyway so it shouldn't be a factor for us.

You're right, but that doesn't change the fact that that was like a home game for Hearts who had three out of four stands that night. If anything that made that night all the sweeter, because the odds were stacked against us.

Maybe it's just me, but getting to Hampden is special and should be an occasion to be savoured. Next month's semi final will be played there and rightly so.

Must admit I’m a bit old fashioned in that I think the national stadium should be saved for the final and semis should be at another neutral venue.

The problem in Scotland is the lack of stadiums fit for the purpose. They can’t really have an old firm semi final at a neutral venue other than hampden that can hold the demand.

Appreciate the well fans thoughts on it being like a home game for us in Edinburgh and that’s probably fair enough but the league cup semi final in 2014 is one of the best matches I’ve ever attended. Atmosphere was as good as I’ve ever experienced with the dons

15 hours ago, Frank Grimes said:

No MJC

Reverse psychology and pre match pessimism is our stick 

Get your own thing 

Aberdonians are naturally pessimistic and miserable. As am I admittedly, when it comes to Motherwell FC. 

Aberdeen and everything about it is a special brand of miserable though. Horrible city, horrible people with a horrible attitude and a horrible accent.

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Must admit I’m a bit old fashioned in that I think the national stadium should be saved for the final and semis should be at another neutral venue.

I agree with this completely. 

I don't see how's there's much 'prestige' in playing a game at Hampden in front of 30,000+ empty seats.

1 minute ago, MJC said:

Aberdonians are naturally pessimistic and miserable. As am I admittedly, when it comes to Motherwell FC. 

Aberdeen and everything about it is a special brand of miserable though. Horrible city, horrible people with a horrible attitude and a horrible accent.

Says the ***

2 minutes ago, Desp said:

I agree with this completely. 

I don't see how's there's much 'prestige' in playing a game at Hampden in front of 30,000+ empty seats.

Each to their own but Hampden is prestigious in its own right in my opinion. 

The home of Scottish football, the scene of our greatest day in the last 30 years and being there knowing you are not far away from a Cup final and a shot at silverware. 

I love the place.

39 minutes ago, MJC said:

I see MJC trying his best efforts to win friends and influence people...at least any Aberdeen fans reading that know it is only MJC which pretty much renders that statement as pretty much useless.

We will take at best 6-8000 to the semi and Aberdeen 14-16,000 = 20-24,000 max which at the top end is bigger than either Easter Rd or Tynecastle can hold.  Actually I think we would stand a better chance at say Tynecastle where it is a tighter pitch.

For once I agree with the point MJC makes that Hampden for better or worse is the National stadium and for the players themselves it is more of a novelty and prestigious (reward) than playing at a stadium you already play at a couple of times each and every year.

I see we have now lost Tanner to long term injury.  With McHugh missing the semi also we are now pretty much evens with the Dons in terms of 1st team players unavailable.  Hopefully no more injuries between now and the game.

Archived