Flint Town

Torpar

Just finished this Netflix documentary and ended up feeling a little disappointed there were only 8 episodes. I thought it was really well made and an interesting watch. It focus on the underfunded, understaffed and over worked police department in Flint, Michigan. With the Flint water crisis story and police being killed in Dallas, Baton Rogue and other places, going on in the background. 

6 hours ago, Torpar said:

Just finished this Netflix documentary and ended up feeling a little disappointed there were only 8 episodes. I thought it was really well made and an interesting watch. It focus on the underfunded, understaffed and over worked police department in Flint, Michigan. With the Flint water crisis story and police being killed in Dallas, Baton Rogue and other places, going on in the background. 

This is one I will watch. I thought Michael Moore's 'Roger and Me'  about Flint was his best documentary and it will be interesting to see Flint now.

I am 5 episodes in but can't bear to start the one with Trump visiting.

Really interesting how you get to see the two sides of the protest movement - you never really hear from the police. The conditions they have to work under with regards to understaffing, etc are shocking. Difficult to not get annoyed with the snarky comments from the white cops when they were made to watch the video of the girl in the car with the dying boyfriend but you can start to understand some of their points of view.

Flint looks pretty grim, add the water crisis to the decline in manufacturing and it looks a struggling town.

I thought it also showed how realistic The Wire was in showing the conflict between the police, the hierarchy, the politicians and the citizens.

It did seem like and endless cycle of problems with no real way out, and some of the schemes the police were coming up with due to cuts or just plain lack of money were unbelievable. An armed militia!

2 hours ago, Internet Citizen said:

I thought it also showed how realistic The Wire was in showing the conflict between the police, the hierarchy, the politicians and the citizens.

It did seem like and endless cycle of problems with no real way out, and some of the schemes the police were coming up with due to cuts or just plain lack of money were unbelievable. An armed militia!

I really did remind of the Simpsons episode when Homer formed his own militia, I wondered if swinging a sack of doorknobs would be part of their training. 

And Officer Frost is definitely what the kids call these days, 'punching'  

Archived